Author Topic: Talk about even sillier money for a '64 Jazz.... (the glittery gold one)  (Read 2650 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ilan

• View Profile
For this kind of money I'd like to see a paint stick shadow in the neck pocket.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
What a hoot !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
What a bargain!

+1

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
I also like how the original solder joints from 46 years ago are faded and dull, yet somehow the pickup connections and ground points are shiny. Little known fact: solder made before the Environmental Protection Act of 1970 had a much higher lead content and as such, NEVER made the highly reflective connections most folks are familiar with.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
That's good to know, not that I'm planning on buying anything in this range.

Highlander

• View Profile
I also like how the original solder joints from 46 years ago are faded and dull, yet somehow the pickup connections and ground points are shiny. Little known fact: solder made before the Environmental Protection Act of 1970 had a much higher lead content and as such, NEVER made the highly reflective connections most folks are familiar with.

I still have a few reels of the stuff...  ;D (oops... there go my green credentials...)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
It wasn't really the solder itself that was a problem; it was the process of making it. We used to find old rolls of the stuff hidden in various racks at the station all the time. My only gripe was that it was mostly too big for modern circuit work.  ...sigh...those were the days:  16 awg bus lines terminating to barrier boards: easy to test, diagnose and fix... but I digress.

The saddest day of my career was cleaning out the old satellite reciever building and throwing away literally tons of old equipment. The copper in the PT's alone was worth a fortune, but none of us had the time to break it down or the ability to haul it all off, though I did nab a few choice components from the old Beta automation system, an Odetics 9000, which was made by a space probe company who did automation robotics on the side and all of the old ADM audio board's spare parts. All I need is a frame and power supply and I've got what amounts to a full analog API-style console.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:07:23 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

JazzBassTbird

• View Profile

...and a matching headstock would be a confidence builder as well! Standard on even regular custom color Jazz Basses before '64. (Probably around the time round lam boards appear mid '62-ish.)

eb2

• View Profile
If the plain headstock didn't fail the sniff test, then I think the gray hot rod primer winking out of the screw holes was the clincher. Auction got yanked.

I pick up old spools of heavier lead solder at garage sales whenever I get a chance.  It was around in lots of old electronics places for years too. Guys have been clouding up solder joints for ages anyway.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Highlander

• View Profile
Something dragged me to it...

He's put it back up... $10,000 more than the last time...!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270575278016