Author Topic: Need help to find a small cab for my JMP superbass head  (Read 1716 times)

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
Need help to find a small cab for my JMP superbass head
« on: March 27, 2008, 04:22:51 AM »
I love the sound of the original 4x12 cab but it's far too big, heavy and loud for clubs. I've also been thinking about building one myself (1x12, 2x12 or 1x15), but dont know what speakers would give me a sound similar to the original. Would bag End be the answer?
Can you guys help me choosing?

lhoward

• View Profile
Re: Need help to find a small cab for my JMP superbass head
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
Iome,

Don't know if you're still interested in building your own, but if you are, there are a couple Eminence Kappa Pro 12" drivers available on eBay on sale by an organ company for $50, which is a pretty low price for that driver. I bought two last week and am currently designing a cab for each driver. Just search eBay for "kappa pro 12" without the quotes.

lhoward

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:38:04 AM »
I picked up an Avatar cabinet with 2 12" Eminence neos and a tweeter . Currently selling online for $339. I did have an issue with a speaker that they took care of right away. I did NOT like the way they mounted the speakers with wood screws, so while I was in there to replace the speaker I put in Tbolt anchors, which is the way it should have been done in the first place.

For the price, even with the addittional work I did, I think it was a great deal for the sound I'm getting. It is rated at 500 watts but I'm running it with a pretty strong 400watt Seymour Duncan head and it sounds great. I'm not a big fan of tweeter cabinets, but I run the tweeter control in barely on position and I couldn't be happier with it. ;D

Light , cheap , sounds great and it pushes enough air to hit the back of a pretty big room (like a pair of 15"s would).

Rick
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 05:03:19 AM by rahock »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 03:02:33 PM »
I don't think I've heard a bad word about Avatar cabs. They seem to be a great value and reports indicate they deliver good sound.  I had one of their single 12" guitar cabs for a while and played bass through it within its rated power range - it sounded good and never gave any indication that it had any problems.  i liked it but sold it because I wasn't using it as designed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 07:46:09 AM »
When people hear about the bad speaker incident and the wood screws used for mounting  the speakers, they always assume that I would never buy another Avatar. Quite the contrary, I really like them and I'd do it again in a minute.

The speaker problem is simply a case of "stuff happens" and they took care of it right away. As for the wood screws....well yeah, that's a bad idea , but a lot of players could use their cabinets for years and never notice a bit of difference. I go for a very deep, dark sound and it tends to make a cabinet rattle . Any cabinet I've ever had gets the "bullet proof treatment", which involves a dose of loctite on everything I can get at that screws or bolts in, and heavier bits and pieces of any hardware that even looks like it may be a problem. In fact I have replaced TBolt anchors on few cabinets with a sturdier T bolt, just because it looked like the right thing to do

Anything I've come across that had the same sound quality or possibly better than the Avatar, ran two to above three times the cost.  Bang for the buck, they stand mighty tall.

Rick

rodl2005

• I like a nice warm tube....ahhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:05:17 PM »
Hi Guys-my 1st post here!!  ;D SO HI ALL!!!  I HAVE heard a few bad things re AVATAR spkr cabs... BUT all in all & with the Number of cabs sold, I don't think it's an out of proportion number of faults.  I've just hears of a couple of the drivers blowing.  ???   could've been due to owner not using properly... so take that as you like! All in all- they sound like a darn good buy!'

Back to OT tho...  A sealed cab- with 2 x 12" spkrs would be pretty similar to the orig. sound. AFAIK the 4x12" Marshall IS a sealed cab -right???? I use sealed cabs-Bergantino NV215 & NV610  with my tube amps & they sound great-but are not much easier to move than the 4x12 & probly no smaller either!  ;D
    Bergantino cabs (link-)http://bassgeardirect.com.au/Bergantino%20home.htm     such as the HS210/HS410  are a good mix of vintage & modern sound... thesetwo cabs both/either sound awesome driven by my Ampeg V4BH(100w all tube-a little similar to the Superbass)
EB Music Man Stingray 5/Fender '05 Am.Series Jazz/Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz/Epiphone Explorer/Modded Palatino EUB/Custom P-bass/Ibanez AFB140-basses. Ampeg SVTII/V4BH/Mark Bass LMII-Amps. Bergantino NV215 & NV610/AguilarGS112/GS115-cabs. Wilson, Humphrey Audio, E.H.& Digitech-FX.