Author Topic: Baba O'Riley...Epic!  (Read 2181 times)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Baba O'Riley...Epic!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 12:33:05 AM »
Rockschool!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockschool

I watched the American version on PBS when it was on... pretty cool stuff for a young musician.

Unfortunately it appears nobody has rereleased it. Maybe considered too dated for too small an audience?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
In the early days of the Dudepit, there was a guy who had bought Entwistle's other Alembic Exploiter -- it had a darker top than this one. He was also looking for a video that had Entwistle using that bass. I located a video that seemed to fit what he described, he bought the video and it turned out to be the one he was looking for. It's been a dozen years and I can't remember but it may have been an instructional video. Now I wonder if it was the Rockschool video.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2014, 03:18:01 AM »
I remember two Entwistle exploiters - this one with a headstock that came to a single point, and one that was split into a V from this album cover:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Late_the_Hero_(album)#/image/File:TooLateTheHero-Poster-JAE.jpg
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2014, 07:51:10 AM »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 08:01:36 PM »
D'OH!

My memory of the guy at the Pit was about as far off as you can get. What he bought was a Series I from the Sotheby's John Entwistle Auction. Thread here.

Either he was looking for a video of Entwistle playing that Series I, or it must have been someone else who was looking for a video of Entwistle with a different Exploiter.

Sorry about that.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:16 AM »
This Alembic 8-string is not mine, but it has a darker top and it's ex-Entwistle. I played it for half an hour. Killer tone, but a really wide neck.  Not just 44mm P neck, but really wide. Haven't measured it.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »
This Alembic 8-string is not mine, but it has a darker top and it's ex-Entwistle. I played it for half an hour. Killer tone, but a really wide neck.  Not just 44mm P neck, but really wide. Haven't measured it.
That 8-string surfaced recently, didn't it? Can't remember if it was here or the Alembic forum. Kind of jealous that you got to play it - nah, happy for you, but REALLY jealous!  :mrgreen:

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 11:30:39 PM »
In the early days of the Dudepit, there was a guy who had bought Entwistle's other Alembic Exploiter -- it had a darker top than this one. He was also looking for a video that had Entwistle using that bass. I located a video that seemed to fit what he described, he bought the video and it turned out to be the one he was looking for. It's been a dozen years and I can't remember but it may have been an instructional video. Now I wonder if it was the Rockschool video.

Pretty sure I have Rock school around here somewhere that I Downloaded as VLC files, there were two series one with 8 & the other with 9 episodes, I also know I taped some from PBS when they were shown here in the USA, not the best quality but better then nothing,