Author Topic: View of Mars  (Read 6634 times)

westen44

• View Profile
View of Mars
« on: November 13, 2013, 11:01:39 AM »
I don't see anything that looks like Dejah Thoris, princess of Mars, that Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote about.  Still, I find this interesting.

http://io9.com/see-mars-through-a-rovers-eyes-with-this-interactive-p-1463088738
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: View of Mars
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 01:33:09 PM »

Very Cool!

Must..... not................. make joke about Uranus  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »

Very Cool!

Must..... not................. make joke about Uranus  ;)

You can always trust something from...
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »
On a sort of related note, remember when Mars bars had almonds? They haven't made em like that for a long time. I remember being so excited to try one when I was in the UK and then was disappointed after getting one and it was just like a Milky Way. Oh well, guess I'll have to settle for a Snickers almond.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
What do Star Trek and toilet paper have in common?

They both circle Uranus in search of Klingons. 8)

And I do miss the original Mars bars.  They had whole almonds on the bottom of the bar and I'd eat all around them and then save the almonds for last.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 03:25:04 PM »
You can always trust something from...

Aww.... you were all thinking it  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
Marzipan is also made with almonds but if you eat too much you'll get constipated. Not good for your anus either.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »
Yup...it took us one post to degenerate.  Well done, gang!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:42:31 PM »
I had almost forgotten how delicious those Mars bars are.  The best candy bar ever.  I don't eat them anymore because my dentist said to avoid caramel.  But that doesn't stop me from making jokes about Uranus.  Here is a song with the word "Uranus" in it several times.  Possibly NSFW due to the use, unfortunately, of the word GD.   

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 04:55:43 PM »
I'm the dissenter...my wife gets the candy bars with nuts.  I get the ones without.  Milky Way and Three Muscatels, especially....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 11:25:23 AM »
"John Carter" got panned but I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:01 PM »
"John Carter" got panned but I thoroughly enjoyed that movie.

It's almost like someone had a vendetta against whoever made that movie.  The reviews were consistently negative as if many of those people were gleefully wanting the movie to fail.  Nevertheless, that probably wasn't the case; it just seemed that way.  I suppose the movie wasn't promoted well.  I thought John Carter was great entertainment.  If it had been a success, there were plenty of other ERB books to make movies about.  I can remember when I was about 12 reading those John Carter of Mars books.  I thought it would make a great movie.  Then when they finally tried that many years later, unfortunately, it did fail at the box office.  Too bad, though, it had potential.  I'm sick of the Marvel stuff and never go to any of those movies unless I'm with friends who insist on it.  I was ready for something besides DC or Marvel, none of which I'm ever interested in.  I think I'd just as soon go to another Pirates of the Caribbean movie, all of which have become jejune now. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »
The problem with John Carter was the location itself, and hard-science - the stories are pre-cursors to Star Wars, in some ways...

Great film - shame number two will never arrive... Lynn Collins brought Deja Thoris to life...

As for the Marvel's, I'm still finding some interest in them and am looking forward to receiving maybe one or two under the tree next month...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »
The problem with John Carter was the location itself, and hard-science - the stories are pre-cursors to Star Wars, in some ways...

Great film - shame number two will never arrive... Lynn Collins brought Deja Thoris to life...

As for the Marvel's, I'm still finding some interest in them and am looking forward to receiving maybe one or two under the tree next month...

For some reason, I became quite interested in keeping up with those reviews of John Carter when the movie first came out.  It seemed odd that so many of the reviews were so negative (like my other post indicated.)  I still can't rule out the possibility that someone may have had an agenda.  When it comes to money, people tend to be at their worst.  If the John Carter movies had become successful, needless to say that might cut into competitors' profits.  There was quite a negative vibe generated about the movie which I'm convinced kept quite a number of people from even giving it a chance.  The movie was good but not good enough to rely on word-of-mouth to counteract all the negative press about it.  It's interesting that John Carter did better in foreign countries than it did in the U.S.  One obvious reason is that those countries were less influenced by the negative American critics.  The weakest criticism was that the story was derivative.  How can something which originated in a 1912 science fiction short story be derivative?  ERB left a wealth of material that could have been used in the movies.  This includes the "Thuvia, Maid of Mars" book my favorite book of the Martian series.  I read these books as a youth, but can still remember how good they were.  The Thuvia book didn't even have John Carter in it, but instead had his son and his love interest, Thuvia.  The Thuvia book was the most original and enjoyable book of the series, and I'd suspect it would be hard for anyone to call it derivative even today. 

Glimpse of Mars as it may have appeared billions of years ago---

http://io9.com/a-dramatic-glimpse-of-mars-as-it-appeared-billions-of-y-1464402328

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
There were other Martian story writers, for instance Leigh Brackett and her character Eric John Stark - I don't have them all but they do make good reading - she also scripted The Empire Strikes Back, so no surprise about the legacy of Burroughs there...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...