Author Topic: PETA wants fish memorial  (Read 2585 times)

westen44

• View Profile
PETA wants fish memorial
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: PETA wants fish memorial
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »
Wierd...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
So, she wants a memorial for the fish that died in the back of a truck and not the kitchen?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
The fish were on their way to an Asian supermarket. I'm sure they would all have been adopted as pets if it weren't for the horrible accident.  :P

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:06:26 PM »
I've found myself becoming a semi-vegetarian for ethical and health reasons.  But I'll always have to draw the line with fish, one of my favorite foods since I was a child.  I think I do understand the woman's perspective, but her request is still absurd. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »
The fish were on their way to an Asian supermarket. I'm sure they would all have been adopted as pets if it weren't for the horrible accident.  :P

Oh, definitely. 

--Blaise Pascal

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 08:10:53 PM »
More veggies would probably do us all wonders - me included.  But I have seen some seriously horrible looking vegans. 

Some of this really goes overboard - I have coworker that gave up wheat and all grains - including whiskey!  He's militant about it yet he's a pack a day smoker!? :rolleyes:

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 09:29:17 PM »
More veggies would probably do us all wonders - me included.  But I have seen some seriously horrible looking vegans.

Some of this really goes overboard - I have coworker that gave up wheat and all grains - including whiskey!  He's militant about it yet he's a pack a day smoker!? :rolleyes:

Another reason that's ridiculous: there really aren't any grains in distilled whiskey. Protein molecules are too large to pass through distillation. The taste and aroma come from byproducts of fermentation called congeners.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 03:59:59 AM »
I can accept that someone doesn't want to eat animals for ethical reasons even though to me killing something to eat it is the only moral reason other than defending your life. But if you say I don't want to sacrifice another life for my own then I think that is an ethical view you can have.

But don't tell me it's healthier or more natuural. Our digestive tract is not geared towards plant eating at all, we have a harder time digesting a salad than a ribeye steak. We're not cows and we can't masticate. Gluten intolerance is our body's answer to too much grain, a civilisation food our mammoth hunting ancestors did not know and which our guts can't digest that well at all. Analysis of Neanderthal man fossilized feces shows that they ate up to 4 kilos of meat a day just to keep their body temperature in the ice age.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »
I can accept that someone doesn't want to eat animals for ethical reasons even though to me killing something to eat it is the only moral reason other than defending your life. But if you say I don't want to sacrifice another life for my own then I think that is an ethical view you can have.

But don't tell me it's healthier or more natuural. Our digestive tract is not geared towards plant eating at all, we have a harder time digesting a salad than a ribeye steak. We're not cows and we can't masticate. Gluten intolerance is our body's answer to too much grain, a civilisation food our mammoth hunting ancestors did not know and which our guts can't digest that well at all. Analysis of Neanderthal man fossilized feces shows that they ate up to 4 kilos of meat a day just to keep their body temperature in the ice age.

I think the problem is when extremists from both sides try to impose their views on others.  In my case, because of health issues that run in my family it became clear to me long ago that eating meat usually wasn't a good idea for me.  But someone without those health issues might have a completely different view.  In time, however, I began to also look at the situation from an ethical perspective.  I decided I wouldn't personally like the idea of animals dying so I could eat them anyway.  However, I'm sure the lady who wanted the memorial would think I'm a horrible person for liking kibbeling so much.  Like I said, I do have to make an exception with fish.  From time to time, I might also eat something like turkey; in general, though, I'd rather not eat meat.  But I think trying to tell people what to eat makes as little sense as telling them what kind of music to listen to. 

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 04:52:50 PM »
The fish were on their way to an Asian supermarket. I'm sure they would all have been adopted as pets if it weren't for the horrible accident.  :P
Dammit!  That's hard stuff for an old guy with prostate issues.  AND the thought of suffering saltwater sole sounds like Sylvester the cat.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 04:57:58 PM by Rob »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:08:04 PM »
I think that's one of the few songs by Barnes & Barnes that you'd actually be able to post here. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »
T-shirt I saw a few months ago: Meat is murder. Tasty, tasty murder.

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 09:08:50 PM »
That reminds me that there were some Japanese scientists that were trying to genetically re-engineer a wooy mammoth. I have hopes that they might find one in Siberia with a couple of frozen gonads to knock up a modern elephant.  If our ancestors were so into their deliciousness that they hunted the things into extinction, then I bet that mammoth steak is Kit Kat bar of meat.  I would invest in a mammoth herd, and fire up the grill first chance I get.  PETA?  They are batsh!t crazy, but whatever.  People can invent whatever they want to get through the day. 
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »
I'm a carnivorgitarian, I only eat animals that eat plants.
Dyslexics untie!