Author Topic: Vote for 2013 Rock & Roll HOF Inductees  (Read 5405 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Vote for 2013 Rock & Roll HOF Inductees
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
Those who can't do - review!  :-\ :bored: :P

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2012, 01:26:29 PM »
Michael and Tom... claws away... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »

To be a good "music journalist" a person needs to be a very competent musician, a very good writer, and have the research skills of a professional social scientist.  Very few seem to have all that.  Therefore, the majority are seriously flawed, in my opinion.  In general, I have not been impressed. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 03:10:55 PM »
An old bandmate of mine plays sax with Chic...He always kicked serious butt on both sax and keys...it's gotta be a pretty good band.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 03:35:20 PM »
going by that theory a book reviewer must be an author, a movie critic a director, a sports writer an athlete and on and on. i have heard this argument before and it just does not hold water.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:44:08 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »
Correct...! A cup does though... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 03:48:12 PM »
...pass the sniff test?

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 05:05:37 PM »

Eh, I take it all with a grain of salt. In the end, it's just one persons opinion.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 06:55:00 PM »
Correct...! A cup does though... ;)

LMAO!
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »
going by that theory a book reviewer must be an author, a movie critic a director, a sports writer an athlete and on and on. i have heard this argument before and it just does not hold water.

I agree. One thing that really irks me at certain forums is when someone's favorite gets criticized and they respond by pointing out that the critic hasn't had hit records, made movies, been a sports star etc. It's defective logic. You either agree with a critic or you don't, simple as that.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »
Purple were never cool with journos or critics, unlike Zep they had no mystique to them, no Alistair Crowley fans and no fancy symbols. No drug scandals either except with Tommy Bolin, but by then Purple were regarded as unfashionable rock dinosaurs and Punk was looming.

Cooler still than Uriah Heep and for a reason too.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 04:50:36 AM »
I agree. One thing that really irks me at certain forums is when someone's favorite gets criticized and they respond by pointing out that the critic hasn't had hit records, made movies, been a sports star etc. It's defective logic. You either agree with a critic or you don't, simple as that.

Years ago, when I went to movies on a very frequent basis, I often deliberately avoided movies that critics praised and vice versa.  I think this may be because my taste in movies seems to not be very sophisticated.  Needless to say, however, if I'm going to spend money on movies on a regular basis, it makes sense to make an effort to find the ones I think I'll like.  In general, I probably have fewer issues with music critics than movie critics. 

--Blaise Pascal

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 05:56:14 AM »
uriah heep really got slagged by the british press. one writer said he would commit suicide if the band made it. this quote was on the inner sleeve of an early album i had. can't remember which one. i remember really liking the wizard album, horrible lyrics and all.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 07:02:53 AM »
Yeah, the Ramones may be the only non-charting artists to be inducted, and some people thought that may have been more because of Joey's death.

I don't know if it's fair to say Dick started surf music, but he was certainly one of the early pioneers. For sure it wouldn't be what is is without his influence.
Dick should defiantly get in while he is still with us. He is still teaching yet another generation how to do it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 07:05:22 AM »
uriah heep really got slagged by the british press. one writer said he would commit suicide if the band made it. this quote was on the inner sleeve of an early album i had. can't remember which one. i remember really liking the wizard album, horrible lyrics and all.
UH was a fantastic band. I doubt  a current band pull this off live.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird