Author Topic: Bono  (Read 3999 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Bono
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
Well, lets hope its an affliction that primarily affects insufferable, self-important frontmen. Looks good so far...
https://www.spin.com/2018/09/dave-grohl-lost-voice-foo-fighters-bono/
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 04:19:20 PM »
For the record: I'm fine with Clayton's artistry and I always thought he was the coolest-looking U2ling with the most gorgeous female companions. I'm just joke-digging at gearhed who is always whining that no mention of U2 can happen without some dumbass deriding AC's bass playing skills. (Gearhed liked Clayton's female companions too, but he has now gone into hiding obviously ...)

I dunno man, to me the drummer guy (I don't even know his name and don't respect him enough to google it) is the Joe in the band. ... though I may be conflating him with the REM guy. Both kinda m'eh drummers (the U2 guy was at least somewhat interesting back in the day, though I suppose; maybe he's just pulling a Charlie Watts).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 08:34:00 AM »
I only criticize a bass player if/when I can play better than he can.  That leaves about 95% of all bands which have been successful enough to get radio airplay immune from my criticism.  U2 has done a lot of stuff I enjoy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
I think Michael Anthony is an excellent, organic and not so unbusy bassist. Ted Templeman might have been behind the fact that his bass playing was so sparse with VH, but his playing with Hagar and Chickenfoot is in another league.

And U2's lasting influence (my, was my prophecy on them a bad one!) crops up in the most unexpected places, I tell you. Not a bad Clayton Geddy does here:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 04:26:39 PM »
I can remember in the early 80s being totally baffled why U2 was getting so much attention.  However, "Sunday Bloody Sunday" gave them some gravitas whether deserved or not.  By the time of "The Joshua Tree" I could barely even listen to them at all their music seemed to be so different to anything I would be interested in.  This is in spite of that album supposedly being an artistic achievement.  But nothing that I felt was intentional or done with ill intent.  I actually wished I could have liked U2's music .  A lot of people really seemed to be enjoying themselves, but I was definitely not in on it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 05:54:39 AM »
Ball(s) of confusion!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 01:03:10 AM »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...