Author Topic: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)  (Read 111388 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)
« Reply #630 on: June 04, 2022, 01:57:56 PM »
"Inside Looking Out" was another cover that GFR did brilliantly. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 05, 2022, 03:06:12 AM »
I didn’t even know that one was a cover!

I was late to the party: The first Grand Funk song that caught my ear was Bad Time

and I worked my way back from there. I had of course a cassette of their iconic 1970 LIVE ALBUM, but that hadn't done much for me, I found their music too raw and unmelodic on that. But Bad Time was a brilliant number.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 05:12:55 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 05, 2022, 06:03:12 AM »
Thry were great live!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 05, 2022, 07:16:37 AM »
The most fun songs to play in a cover band were Inside Looking Out and I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home.  I was in a band with a lead guitarist whose favorite band was GFR.  He was close to being obsessed with them.  He definitely nailed Mark Farner's guitar parts.  BTW, our keyboard player looked so much like Mark Farner they could easily have passed as brothers. 

I believe this has been posted before somewhere, but here it is again. 

« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 07:24:03 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 05, 2022, 08:16:47 AM »
That is already the Craig Frost line up doing it, he really added to the band with his Hammond and piano parts - as he does here.

Or maybe that is just the DP guy clawing to get out in me again!

But looking back at it: General absence of keyboards is a reason why both Punk

(The Stranglers were the only band labelled as Punk - when in fact they had been around for ages and their keyboard player was a Jon Lord fan, but he wasn't allowed to say that in 1976 - with dominant keyboards though what followed as New Wave had a stronger keyboard influence due to the rise of more cheaply available synths and German Electronica leaving its mark)

and Grunge

(was there ever even a single Grunge band with noticeable keyboards?)

didn't do much for me. Stringed instruments are of course (and will forever be) at the core of rock'n'roll, but keyboards open other avenues. It's just more musical to me.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 05, 2022, 02:01:08 PM »
I hadn't thought about keyboards being a factor.  But maybe it was one factor.  Mostly, though, punk and grunge vocals weren't really what I was looking for in music.  Mark Farner was certainly a good singer.  That was one of the best things in GFR's music to me.  Some people were critical of his guitar playing, but I thought that was pretty good, too.  Speaking of which, in coming across a recent interview with Gene Simmons, I noticed he defended Mark Farner's guitar playing--something I really wasn't expecting to see in that article. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 06, 2022, 05:13:58 AM »
Farner had strong pipes (bit on the dramatic-intense side sometimes, Brewer's singing was more laid back) and an earthy, more rhythmically-oriented approach to guitar rather than just providing a flurry of notes at high speed à la Alvin Lee, but saying he wasn't a good guitarist is like saying Keith Richards or John Fogerty can't play. He also left room for his band-buddies Mel and Don. If you believe that Farner is a grooveless, unmusical guitarist, you're deaf. He was even sparse, but since when is that a bad thing? Free and Bad Company were always lauded for it by critics.

I believe critics had foremost issues with Farner's bare-chested and chest-beating macho approach, but hell, GFR came from a blue-collar, industry town after all. If you were from Flint, you weren't going to read poems on stage.

Speaking of "GFR without Farner", I thought the post-GFR-split spin-off without him monikered Flint didn't sound bad at all - it sure lacked Farner's overt drama, but the typical GFR groove remained very much intact (no wonder with the rest of GFR in Flint), their music had even more an RnB influence.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 05:22:56 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #637 on: June 06, 2022, 08:22:24 AM »
Stringed instruments are of course (and will forever be) at the core of rock'n'roll, but keyboards open other avenues. It's just more musical to me.

I REALLY miss keyboards and keyboard players in popular music. And 75% of cover bands doing songs with keys just have them on backing tracks, which is super lame.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 06, 2022, 08:25:11 AM »
Farner had strong pipes (bit on the dramatic-intense side sometimes, Brewer's singing was more laid back) and an earthy, more rhythmically-oriented approach to guitar rather than just providing a flurry of notes at high speed à la Alvin Lee, but saying he wasn't a good guitarist is like saying Keith Richards or John Fogerty can't play. He also left room for his band-buddies Mel and Don. If you believe that Farner is a grooveless, unmusical guitarist, you're deaf. He was even sparse, but since when is that a bad thing? Free and Bad Company were always lauded for it by critics.

I believe critics had foremost issues with Farner's bare-chested and chest-beating macho approach, but hell, GFR came from a blue-collar, industry town after all. If you were from Flint, you weren't going to read poems on stage.

Speaking of "GFR without Farner", I thought the post-GFR-split spin-off without him monikered Flint didn't sound bad at all - it sure lacked Farner's overt drama, but the typical GFR groove remained very much intact (no wonder with the rest of GFR in Flint), their music had even more an RnB influence.

More often than not, when a guy goes bare-chested on stage, it actually gets on my nerves.  But there are exceptions to the rules.  Both Mark Farner and Iggy Pop, for instance, made it a normal part of their stage acts.  That became part of their on-stage personas and I see nothing wrong with that.  Females going bare-chested on stage, I might add, never got on my nerves, either.  But this is almost missing the point.  Critics went way overboard in their criticism of GFR.  The way Mark Farner looked on stage had very little to do with the music itself. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 12:59:41 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 06, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »
I REALLY miss keyboards and keyboard players in popular music. And 75% of cover bands doing songs with keys just have them on backing tracks, which is super lame.

We're constantly coercing our keyboardsmith into playing more solos, he's good at it, but not really accustomed to it. He always thinks we're taking the piss, but we're dead serious. Our guitarist is happy when he DOESN'T have to do a solo.

Live keyboards played with reasonable skill give music so much more depth.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #640 on: June 07, 2022, 08:58:01 AM »
Keyboardists that can SOLO are even more rare. I always loved the Jeff Back/Jan Hammer dueling solos. I've purposely integrated that sort of thing into my own band, except it's guitar and electric violin. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 07, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #642 on: June 07, 2022, 10:46:48 AM »
Heck, with a good keyboard player you don”t even need a bass player!

Edit: the most important word was missing. Sorry
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 11:48:27 PM by Basvarken »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 07, 2022, 09:00:22 PM »
My long-legged and quick-stepping countrywoman Barbara would attest to that.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #644 on: June 08, 2022, 12:00:10 AM »
She's amazing