Author Topic: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)  (Read 111371 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Music videos featuring Fat-Bottom Girls (Rippers, Victories, etc)
« Reply #615 on: April 01, 2022, 12:06:20 PM »
If Bond was a bass player, I can hear this exchange between him and Goldfinger:

"Do you expect me to talk?"

"No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to solo!"

Lol!!!
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #616 on: June 01, 2022, 08:33:15 AM »
Grabber (and several other -then brand new- Gibsons) with the Doobie Brothers

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #617 on: June 02, 2022, 08:05:42 AM »
Grabber (and several other -then brand new- Gibsons) with the Doobie Brothers

Man, what a great band. Some nice looking Gibsons too.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 02, 2022, 08:52:04 AM »
So American in a good way - that these guys aren't in the RRHoF is criminal and inexplicable. The Doobies simply epitomized everything that was good, new and different in West Coast music in the 70ies.  A melting pot of influences, but an immediately identifiable one.

You can tell a band is doing something right if a couple of Krauts (give or take a few Brits) across the other side of the pond decide to sound just like them.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 08:58:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #619 on: June 02, 2022, 10:34:41 AM »
So American in a good way - that these guys aren't in the RRHoF is criminal and inexplicable.

They are. Since 2020.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: June 03, 2022, 04:44:20 AM »
Perhaps I should go out more often!  :mrgreen:

Completely missed that, but great that it happened.

To my defense: Due to the pandemic it was a low-key affair and there was no live performance of the band.

It's good to see Michael McDonald and Tom Johnston in one line-up these days (as they initially were in the mid-seventies before Johnston got road-weary and took a long weekend vacation with McDonald stepping up to the plate of being the new frontman). Like most people here, I tend to prefer Johnston era Doobies to McDonald era ones, but the later line-up will always have my respect for doing something different rather than getting some soundalike to Johnston in, that gave them credibility.

Now what about Grand Funk Railroad and Blue Öyster Cult?!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 07:25:44 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 03, 2022, 06:39:04 AM »
Although I'm a fan, I have doubts Grand Funk Railroad will ever get into the RRHOF.  They have never quite received the respect they deserved, IMO. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 03, 2022, 07:20:43 AM »
They were never the darlings of critics, but neither were Black Sabbath when they were operative and look how they are perceived today. And there is no denying that in the first half of the 70ies, GFR were a very major band on the US circuit with the record sales and the airplay to show for it. Terry Knight's heavy-handed svengali/mobster type of aggressive management did their legacy no favors in the end (nor Farner's evangelical fervor later in his life), but the earthiness of their sound and their apparent Detroit Music/Motown influence set them apart from being just another Cream-derivative hard rock outfit. There was some substance there if you listened closely. In my ears, they progressed musically noticeably when Craig Frost joined them on keyboards and they turned into a four-piece, I like those later albums when they were on a commercial decline.

They are certainly more musically deserving than Kiss (who nevertheless deserve their place in the RRHoF as a cultural, commercial and live performance phenomenon).

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 03, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
Grand Funk Railroad did have the brief period in the early 70s going for them, but after that they began to fade out.  I certainly personally like them.  But that doesn't change the fact that not too many people think of them today.  From what I've been able to gather, there are people today who have barely even heard of them or haven't heard of them at all.  Still, there is no way to predict what the RRHOF will or won't do. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: June 03, 2022, 06:28:44 PM »
Grand Funk Railroad did have the brief period in the early 70s going for them, but after that they began to fade out.  I certainly personally like them.  But that doesn't change the fact that not too many people think of them today.  From what I've been able to gather, there are people today who have barely even heard of them or haven't heard of them at all.  Still, there is no way to predict what the RRHOF will or won't do.

I can. They'll ignore GFRR and induct some hip hop artist instead. And I use the term artist loosely.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 03, 2022, 09:16:49 PM »
I can. They'll ignore GFRR and induct some hip hop artist instead. And I use the term artist loosely.

I looked over their list several months ago to see who all they had inducted through the years.  I wasn't very impressed by the non-rock "artists" there.  It all seemed like a joke.  But a lot of things in our society seem to be becoming a joke nowadays.  And I'm not just talking about politics.  There is much that's screwed up besides that.  I would be glad to start a never ending thread on how f***ed up I think society has become now.  More specifically, how it is moving more toward a herd mentality rather than individualism.  But that's neither here nor there and not really on topic.  So I'll leave it at that.  Regardless, it appears that the RRHOF will continue to suck no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 10:16:51 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 03, 2022, 11:44:27 PM »
Although I'm a fan, I have doubts Grand Funk Railroad will ever get into the RRHOF.  They have never quite received the respect they deserved, IMO.

Most people probably know them from that skit in the Simpsons. They are one of these bands like CCR who aren't big enough to warrant the nuclear-scale squabbling between the original members. Thus you have these facsimile bands with one or two original members playing crap gigs in theatres on the oldies circuit. GFR without Mark Farmer!?!

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 04, 2022, 03:29:43 AM »
GFR never became a household name through the years, so even if they were huge, especially in the U.S in the early 70's, they will never gain RRHOF status. Black Sabbath is considered very influential for example. Also they kept putting out records and eventually reformed a couple of times. GFR's real reformation only lasted about a year or so. Yes, they are sometimes mentioned as an influence but not often enough. I consider them one of the top bands from the late 60's/early 70's era.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 04, 2022, 06:34:24 AM »
Most people probably know them from that skit in the Simpsons. They are one of these bands like CCR who aren't big enough to warrant the nuclear-scale squabbling between the original members. Thus you have these facsimile bands with one or two original members playing crap gigs in theatres on the oldies circuit. GFR without Mark Farmer!?!

It seems to me that GFR without Mark Farner would be like going to a play in which an understudy has taken over the main role. 

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 04, 2022, 01:38:23 PM »
The RRHF is awash with bands which cannot hold a candle to GFR’s concert drawing power, chart placings and record sales. And unlike, say, Three Dog Night (another grave omission), they wrote their own material, Locomotion and Some Kind of Wonderful excepted, but those were Motown classics revamped and rocked up.