Author Topic: Acoustic bass questions  (Read 9435 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Acoustic bass questions
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:14:24 AM »
the el capitan would be fine. don't waste your money on electric posers.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 08:45:47 AM »
There's a Grand on the 'bay now so I'm watching it.

What's the general opinion of some of Epiphone's acoustic and/or semi hollow body basses like the El Segundo, El Capitan and the Rumble Kats and Zeniths?

IMHO the El Capitan is awful. Much too thick a top for an acoustic.

The Rumblekat is a nice bass but nothing like an acoustic sound.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
Put flats on your Dano when it arrives...you can get a pretty convincing sound with a Dano w/ the highs rolled off. Listen to NRBQ for an example.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:00:10 AM »
IMHO the El Capitan is awful. Much too thick a top for an acoustic.

The Rumblekat is a nice bass but nothing like an acoustic sound.

Dave's right on.  I've owned numerous acoustic basses and here's what I think.  Forget anything made by Epiphone unless you intend to run it though an amp.  They have little volume or projection.  I had a discontinued Taylor acoustic bass breifly, but they run up to $2000 or more and have problems with the tops cracking due to their immense size.  The Zenith weighs a ton and is a total dog unamped.  I had a nice vintage Guild B4E (or somthing like that, can't recall) for awhile that was better than most, but still needed an amp.  I've played numerous acoustic Fenders and others at the HOG and none of them project enough to be useful in an acoustic group.

The sad fact is you almost need an upright if you intend to go totally acoustic.  If they can accept an amp (i.e. they aren't acoustic purists or snobs like some acoustic players are), I'd get an inexpensive acoustic that plays confortably and amp it.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »
Put flats on your Dano when it arrives...you can get a pretty convincing sound with a Dano w/ the highs rolled off. Listen to NRBQ for an example.

That's a good point.

Billy Bacon does this too. I've seen him (and band) several times. Billy will use his upright for the first few numbers of a set, then his Dano with flats for the rest.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 03:07:16 PM »
i guess the el capitan i played was the one good one. :-\

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »
i guess the el capitan i played was the one good one. :-\

The ones I played had no projection at all. Long scale, thick top to handle the added tension. Unamplified it was hardly louder than a solidbody. Amplified it hardly sounded like an acoustic.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
i hope denis does some research before buying anyone's opinion. el capitan was a suggestion, i really don't care what he uses as long as his results are acceptable.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 08:34:36 AM »
i hope denis does some research before buying anyone's opinion. el capitan was a suggestion, i really don't care what he uses as long as his results are acceptable.

I'm asking local friends as well. It seems the whole idea of acoustic basses brings out some strong feelings one way or another. I think since I only buy stuff I like I'll make out okay.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 09:08:05 AM »
That's the only way to go. Nothing wrong with differing opinions, you just need to sort 'em out and find what you like.

There are physical limitations to a bass guitar that you don't have with an upright. You just can't get a pure acoustic sound and enough unamped volume without going to an Earthwood, a guitarron or similar. So you do the best you can.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
I'm asking local friends as well. It seems the whole idea of acoustic basses brings out some strong feelings one way or another. I think since I only buy stuff I like I'll make out okay.

Makes sense.  Any ABG will do fine for practice, so you need to get one you like playing.  Also, any ABG will need amplification for any performance.  So don't sweat the performing side.  If you really want to go minimal and portable you can always pick up a used Pignose amp.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:43 AM »
let me state here the pignose 30 blows! mine never sounded good even with a new 'brand'name speaker. many such complaints on the old pignose forum. the speaker would distort, and not in a good way at low volumn. it could have been a electronics problem but i was not going to pay to find out. :P

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Fair enough. 

I find my 36-pound Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 combo sounds just fine when turned down and it's pretty portable, just not battery powered.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
you will have to amplify anyway so why does it have to be acoustic.  what about a hollow or semi hollow bass.  lots to choose from there and many sound and play well.    reason for  hofner??? 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 05:53:59 AM »
I've got a little Roland Microcube 5 watt amp that sounds great with my Olympia. No one was more surprised than me the first time I tried it. I'm not going out gigging with a 5 watt amp, but that little things delivers a rich bottom end and I can compete with a whole room full of acoustic guitars.
Rick