Author Topic: Acoustic bass questions  (Read 9432 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Acoustic bass questions
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:44:13 AM »
A friend is putting together a small Irish music oriented band and asked if I'd like to be a part of it, at least for a while. It's acoustic for the time being so my questions are:
1. Any suggestions for a good quality relatively inexpensive acoustic bass?
2. What to avoid?
3. What to look for?
4. Anything else!

I was looking at used ones and there are a ton of used Ibanezes around and MF has at least 10 of one model, all used, all damaged, which makes me suspect it's a model/brand to avoid.

Thanks!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

patman

• View Profile
Re: Acoustic bass questions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 06:28:13 AM »
You need to play them first...some sound like cigar boxes, some don't.  Price is not always a good indicator of what will sound good...I had an inexpensive Fender that sounded pretty good.  I have a Guild that I like.  I've played a Martin that was nice...played the black Ibanez that's everywhere...I remember thick plywood, and not very musical sound...oh and check the intonation before you buy with a tuner...adjustment is limited.

You will need an amp, or to run through the PA...a good all-solid wood AEB is still not loud enough to do it without an amp.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:29:59 AM »
I've got an Earthwood which is considered to be the holy grail of ABGs and are near impossible to find and come with a price tag to match. I've got an Olympia also, which is a Korean version of the Tacoma. It is a cheap plywood instrument with fishman electronics and when I picked it up new, it needed a couple of frets tapped in and the edges filed and a good set up. All that being said I would still highly recommend them. They have everything I've played  beat by a mile at half the cost(and I've played most of them). Nofi suggested a set a Labella tape strings and I've lived happily ever after ;D.
I don't know of they are still being made, nor do I know if the high buck Tacoma is either. I don't care too much for most ABGs. I guess the Earthwood I've had since 1972 has me a little spoiled, but I love my Olympia set up the way it is , and it was cheap ;D.
Rick

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
I have one which I like but which many people don't like because of the body.  Mine is an Applause, which is an Ovation with a different headstock.  The body is the rounded composite material like Glen Campbell's famous Ovations.  The bass comes with the deepest bowl back, (Ovation makes three depths in guitars) which many people find difficult to play seated because there are no sharp edges to rest on their leg, so they complain that the bass slides around.  

Personally, I play it with a strap and find it easy to play.  Mine is a short scale series but I believe the Applause and Ovation models are available in 34" scale.  It does require a strap because balance is OK with the short scale; I suspect the long scale would have some neck dive.  IMO there are two faults with the one I have:  the gain/tone controls are located where it's easy for my right forearm to hit them and change the settings, and the jack for output is located rather far back on the bowl so using a cable with 90 degree jack to connect is a good idea.

Sound is very nice, volume played unplugged is probably among the loudest of the ABG models, and I replaced the original phosphor rounds with D'Addarion Chromes and I like the way the bass plays.  I did make and install a new saddle to lower the action a bit.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
my olympia has rather high action. i think most people would hate it but i like a lot of air around the strings. :mrgreen:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
I've liked very few cheap ABGs I've tried in stores.  One I did like, aside from the Olympia already mentioned, was the Kramer Ferrington.  No longer in production and the look is dated/not for everyone, but it sounds good and plays well.

One thing I'd say to watch out for: scarf joined headstocks.  A plague among cheaper new ABGs.  I've seen these joints go due to nothing but string normal string tension. Even on higher priced instruments from respected brands.  Just not a good idea.  Problem is, you gotta get up into a whole new price bracket to avoid them usually.  Which is why I 'd go for a used Ferrington or Olympia (not sure abotu the headstock/neck construction on that - don't remember).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:31:31 AM »
my olympia broke at the scarve joint when i dropped it. no big deal. after a cheap repair good as new.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »
One of these:

It's a "Grand".  Bought it, with gig bag, from a guy in a muffler shop parking lot for $20 as a throw in when I won his Destroyer project on Ebay.  Neck is dead straight after 3 years of no adjustment, action is fairly low.  I use a strip of foam down at the bridge as a mute.  I've been complimented on its sound.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:52:36 AM »
Guitarron's are neat, and if the band gets sick of playing irish music you can break out into marriachi tunes and the bar will sell more margaritas!
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 01:47:18 PM »
I wouldn't mind having one but they are BIG!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
Might as well get an upright or a scaled-down upright.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
Do you have any semi's, at least until you get a bit more certain of the project...?

+1 on Al's suggestion... 3/4 scale R'n'R brand...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »
 I have always felt let down by AEBs still had to bring a amp, had a Kramer Ferrington back in the day. They could have buried me in the case. If I were to do a acoustic gig now I'd bring one of my Kliras or the Hofner. Ibanez does have a cool acoustic jazz box kinda bass for under 500 That'd be cool ! http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-agb200-4-string-electric-bass
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 07:29:28 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »
One of these:

It's a "Grand".  Bought it, with gig bag, from a guy in a muffler shop parking lot for $20 as a throw in when I won his Destroyer project on Ebay.  Neck is dead straight after 3 years of no adjustment, action is fairly low.  I use a strip of foam down at the bridge as a mute.  I've been complimented on its sound.

That's really pretty, Carlo.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.
Scott, your suggestion may be a good way to go. It seems to me like one of those would be a more useful solution than a straight up acoustic.
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2013, 06:46:59 AM »
There's a Grand on the 'bay now so I'm watching it.

What's the general opinion of some of Epiphone's acoustic and/or semi hollow body basses like the El Segundo, El Capitan and the Rumble Kats and Zeniths?
Clocks.