Author Topic: Reunion gigs - without the original members  (Read 11452 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Reunion gigs - without the original members
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 09:38:58 AM »
GREAT video! I've always said, scoring "the deal" is more often a kiss of death and/or one way ticket to the poor house, rather than a life of fame and fortune. Correction... I've "always" said that since about my late 30s.  :P

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 12:22:09 PM »
back in the mid 90's a guy claiming to be bp's bassist was in atlanta wholesailing records and cds out of his car. it certainly looked like him...

Back about 2005 I heard he was in prison but he's performing on YT videos apparently made in 2007 or later. So either the story was untrue or he was released. He seems to be out of favor with the other original BP members.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 12:23:18 PM »
I had a buddy who toured with an act that used to open for Paul Revere. My understanding is that he never really did much back in the heyday either. A lot of that was due to the coffe cup full of Scotch that was always sitting on the corner of his Vox Continental :o ;D.
Rick

That would explain why he's always smiling.  :)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
That would explain why he's always smiling.  :)

He's been up down all aound now  :o

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 10:40:23 PM »
He's been up down all aound now  :o

;D

You forgot the  :rimshot:

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »
I love the cheerful last line..."We break up!"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
Update - I got a phone call today from the guitarist.  It appears that they NOW want to invite the original line-up, which was the most popular one.  Do musicians ever mature past the age of 6?  LOL.   :mrgreen:
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
Update - I got a phone call today from the guitarist.  It appears that they NOW want to invite the original line-up, which was the most popular one.  Do musicians ever mature past the age of 6?  LOL.   :mrgreen:

You could always give the traditional 6-year-old response: "I know I am, but what are you?"
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 08:52:33 AM »
So are you doing the show?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 08:15:12 PM »
So are you doing the show?

There's a lot to consider, including the cost of driving to Chicago and spending a couple days, but I am leaning towards doing it.  It would be fun to gig with my old drummer again, and see a lot of the old crowd and musicians.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 09:28:12 PM »
A mate holidayed in the US a couple of years ago and said he was surprised one night in Vegas to see 2 different versions of Jefferson Starship/Airplane playing on the same night a few streets away from each other. Apparently both had (some) original members.
Digresion our specialty!

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »
the original band was one too many. ;

JS has played dragon con for the past few years when the event comes to atlanta. i can only think it's because of the band's name.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 07:37:29 AM »
IMO.....Reunion gigs (local or major acts) are BOGUS if they do not have the key frontperson(s) and songwriter.  Meaning, if the band was known for BOTH it's vocalist and guitarist, they BOTH need to be there. Plus, for example, if the bass player wrote most of the known songs, he would also need to be incuded.

The remaining members would be nice but optional. No free pass for dead members, although having your grown kid/sibling fill in on the same instrument is kind of OK. Using famous fill-in pals, NOT OK.

So....current BOGUS examples include:

Foreigner
Queen
Yes

OK examples:

Who
Led Zep

This string reminded me of a freaky thing that happened to me around 2000. While sufing the 'Net, I checked out a bass forum and as I was reading various posts....A GUY WAS ON THERE CLAIMING HE WAS ME!!!!
TOTALLY freaked me out. The guy named my band, that he played 8-string bass in it, named our releases (I was the ONLY bass player ever in the band for the entire time and main writer.) It was REALLY creepy.

So, I contacted the forum moderator and proved I was ME....not He was Me.  As soon as he tried to contact the bogus guy, he bolted and vanished. Crazy.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 07:48:36 AM by mc2NY »

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 07:38:53 AM »
I was asked for a 25th anniversary reunion gig "with the founding members" of a band that's still in business today, but I passed. Turned out that the one surviving original member only planned the event to launch the new CD of the current line-up ....... Man, was I glad I declined !
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »
There is nothing wrong with even repeated line up changes in my book as long as the music is well-made, the band does not pretend to be orginal and they still do new material too rather than just churning out the old stuff as solely a tribute act.

I saw the new Yes last week, Chris Squire was and always has been the domineering figure (loudest bass player I've ever heard in any band and - look and behold - he can be quite sloppy live, but has great attitude - to be fair: his sound is unforgiving as regards even the slightes inaccuracy), you had no doubt which band was before you even with the new guy singing (very well). I liked the stuff from the most recent album best, but they can still play Roundabout and Yours is no Disgrace like no-one else can.

Lynyrd Skynyrd only have one original member left, yet they are still undeniably Lynyrd Skynyrd in my ears, regardless whether they play old or new stuff (which I even prefer, let's just ignore the "God & Guns" lyrics, ok?)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...