Author Topic: Official Hello...  (Read 8524 times)

Lefty SSB

• View Profile
Official Hello...
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:53:38 AM »
Hello guys! I've been lurking around since before I got my bass (this past July), and I gotta say, out of all the bass/geet sites, you guys have the BEST sense of humor, the most interesting topics & are the most inviting... can I stay?  ;D
About me - I'm a lefty and have been only playing since July. (Played around on righties inverted before that). Had my first gig just a month after I began playing seriously when fate brought me my unicorn bass - which is an amazing story in and of itself (see link below)! The gig was for the Providence International Film Festival premiere of the movie "Sleather" - http://www.sleathermovie.com. My boyfriend composed, played, recorded, mixed & mastered the original score for the film & we played those original songs + a cover of David Bowie's "Fame" at the show. I played bass on a few songs, then did vox, keys & tambourine on the others. I like to experiment with different styles of music, but our 3-piece band plays mostly grunge rock, psychedelic, & pop rock music. We had a show booked for the end of this month, but the guys decided against it because the venue attracted a completely different crowd than the type who'd appreciate grunge. Yeah, a band who turns down shows! We are starving artists, but we have integrity and pride in our music! The guys have been together on & off since for 16 years - solid experience, playing in a number of bands & touring the country, so I'm coming in wet behind the ears... It's cool because they seem to dig the "freshness" as 1) they've tired of being a 2-piece trying to create a richer sound (although they did a darn good job of it!) and 2) I bring a certain energy with me. I'm also a crazy lyricist and like to dub around with keys & theremin, mixing & mastering, sound sampling and effects.
I don't think I shared any pics of my unicorn, yet, so here's one below + you can see more at: http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u35/Shahrazad_photos/unicorn%20dream/  You'll need the password: "UNICORN" in order to view. (All caps).

A little bit about the story of the unicorn can be found here: http://competitionmustang.blogspot.com/

I come here for seasoned advice, new ideas, laughs, and to share my own opinions & experiences (and hopefully some more laughs too!) I'm thankful to have found this site of "good" bass players and likeable characters & I look forward to visiting often.

~Stay Creative!~  :toast: :thumbsup:
The Unicorn Tamer

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Official Hello...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:29:06 AM »
Official Welcome!  ;D

We're a bit short on ladies here  :o
Nice to see Fraulein Mark finally has some company in the Outpost.

cheers, Rob

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:42:22 AM »
I didn't know there WAS another bass forum...  ;D An official welcome to you. Nice bass!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 05:32:59 AM »
Any bass player who plays in a band with a theremin is OK by me!  ;)

Welcome!
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »
Welcome! We are a unusual bunch. Cast offs from a now defunct forum, Dave and Uwe built us a little home on the web for us to congregate. Many of the people here I count as friends though we have never met in person. Always friendly advice here, favors done, parts shared, sometimes just for the good will and a depth of knowledge that belies the forums small numbers. So I say again welcome! We look forward to your contributions. Nice bass and story btw !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 06:37:03 AM »
Mustang's just don't feel right - always felt a bit girlie to me, short scale and all...  :vader: (now just gotta hide from the shortie crew :o)

Seriously... all (nice people) are welcome... several Mustang fans... so enjoy the ambiance...

Oh yeah, a lot of us have been playing longer than you've been around - not a sleight - just a font... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:50:05 AM »
Welcome!! :mrgreen: I've always wanted a Mustang. You must tell us more about your string preference for shorties!
+1000 on the fact that this is a bunch of nice people here. Anyone else wouldn't stick around!!
Fleet Guitars

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:32:43 AM »

Welcome Here!

I'm the "other girl"  ;D    that's not a girl at all.
My thoughts echo Scott's, there are many here that I truly count as friends, and I've had the good fortune to buy several wonderful basses and some parts from forum members -There is a wealth of info here, and we love to digress  ;D   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
Welcome,
Lots of good people, good advice and yes we love to digress. I'd have to say, this bunch can digress with the best ;D.
Rick

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:56:35 AM »
Welcome! ;D   

We simply must find an EB0 project bass and convert it to a lefty for you!  The Mustang is very cool but you should really have a Gibby ;)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
Welcome !I knew it would not be long before someone is trying to convert you to a Gibby(which is not a bad thing) :mrgreen:. If you mean Providence RI that town always had a great music scene. I have not lived there since '79 but frequent  it often . Chan's in Woonsocket is  a favorite of mine "Jazz N'Eggrolls"
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 09:27:28 AM »
Welcome! ;D   

We simply must find an EB0 project bass and convert it to a lefty for you!  The Mustang is very cool but you should really have a Gibby ;)

Welcome... and great idea. Count me among the short scale fans... and especially a fan of Mustangs and Broncos.  That's a beautiful bass,  played by a young lady who is evidently quite talented! Stick around and add some perspective to this geezer- heavy group.  (And I say that as the bass player in Vintage Winds, a surf band whose name means Old Farts.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 10:02:14 AM »
Hey! Welcome to the Island of Misfit Bass Players.  Since you're lefty and you played previously righty, you really need to check this guy out:

http://www.keithhorne.net/home

I got to see him play at a Jazz clinic about 15 years ago while he was in Trisha Yearwood's road band. He's a lefty who plays right-handed basses strung right-handed, so he ends up playing upside down and backwards. Awesome isn't enough to describe his playing.

Your Mustang looks killer. I always loved the racing stripes and the blue is just beautiful. That you play in band with a theremin and have cool hair is icing on the cake. Hope you enjoy it here as a member.

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Just had a chance to see your Mustang. Absolutely Beautiful. Now we are all gonna want one. Maybe even the hardcore gibby guys!
Fleet Guitars

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »
Glad to have ya here, Lefty! :mrgreen: