Author Topic: OK, total new-guy string questions  (Read 10136 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: OK, total new-guy string questions
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2010, 06:35:24 AM »
About the only change I make is volume (although I am experimenting with a rebuild, both instrument and cab) - The Hiwatt is left with everything fully up and I just adjust the volume to suit - I long ago dumped tone controls off all my instruments (except an SG guitar, left original) - I'm tempted to dump the volume controls, but I need to balance an MB, so...

That's amazing to me. You must be totally content with your tone.  If you don't mind me asking, when playing live do you swap out basses on a song-by-song basis, or is it "this is the Kenny-Five-O's sound"?

I'm all over the map with trying to get "that sound" - to the point where I run my basses into an MXR M80 DI prior to amplification.  I just don't play without it...yet.  It just seems to add the fullness that I can't achieve with my low-budget amp setup.  I was in GC yesterday, and I played three basses that I currently own through higher end rigs (without the MXR, of course), and they sound magnificent.  Someday, I'll own a nice rig.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2010, 06:54:35 AM »
I change my "tone" by the way I play - I was mostly "metal" back in the day so pretty much everything was with a pick; a lot of chords too (thank you Mr. Lemmy K.), but I experimented too - a bit of Stanley Clark style, also fingers and thumbs; experiment-experiment-experiment...

Only back to playing live last year - 1st gig I played 3 basses - a Hohner Jack (my primary instrument in the late 80's), my Peter Cook Thunderbird, and my fretless RD, the second gig was the latter 2, the last one was just the fretless - fingers play rounder tones, picks  - harder tones...

At the lower end of the game you will be reliant on the sound behind you, low to middle the backline and the wedges... if you made the "top table..."

Keep saving for what you would like to get - my present issues are resurrecting old equipment...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 08:21:30 AM by Kenny Five-O »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2010, 07:48:03 AM »
I'm all over the map with trying to get "that sound" - to the point where I run my basses into an MXR M80 DI prior to amplification.  I just don't play without it...yet.  It just seems to add the fullness that I can't achieve with my low-budget amp setup.  I was in GC yesterday, and I played three basses that I currently own through higher end rigs (without the MXR, of course), and they sound magnificent.  Someday, I'll own a nice rig.

The mistake I made, and I doubt if I'm alone, was to assume that a sound I liked with the bass on its own would also sound good in a band. It didn't. At one time I had a pedal board the size of a small kitchen table with some wonderful, expensive toys in it, and I spent ages concocting killer tones which, when the band came in, disappeared in the mix, or sounded like a fart in tin can. In the end, I thought to hell with it and sold the lot, apart from a SansAmp BDDI I keep for an emergency that has yet to happen.

I also have what most people here would probably regard as a laughably low end rig - a Hartke HA3500, bought cheap, used, on eBay, an Ashdown Mag 2x10 and a Mag 1x15. Bass tone controls are all set to maximum treble. All I use to adjust to different environments is the high and low pass contour controls on the Hartke. People who aren't my friends tell me this sounds good.

Like Kenny I change tone by the way I play. Unlike Kenny I have no idea how I do it. Well, I do, sort of. I hear the tone I want in my head, and it happens. I always use a pick, too, so I can't explain how that works, but it does.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2010, 05:13:03 PM »
Yep I agree, most of your sound is in your fingers.
Digresion our specialty!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2010, 08:36:56 AM »
well, in my case it's in Dunlop Nylon picks. Magic.

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2010, 06:28:44 PM »
That video was funny as hell!

If I could get Ken Smith strings easily in DFW I'd use them more but I like Slinkys just as well. When I need rounds it's Slinkys at the moment.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
Try these guys Ray. I find them pretty affordable too. I have been buying my Smith strings from them for a few years and even shipping to Australia has been no problem.

http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php?cat=343
Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 09:51:09 PM »
During the break in a gig last Saturday, the rhythm guitar guy said to me "You always sound like you.  The different basses you play do have different sounds, but it always sounds like you."

Yup, dem sounds is in dem fangerz.

Work yer fangers to the bone, whadda yew git?
(two...three...)
BONY fangers...
Bony fangers.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2010, 07:06:57 AM »
this is an easy topic to over think. fingers, picks, amps, strings etc. you can make yourself nuts thinking about it. you will develop your own sound/style eventually. if you have a bass and amp you are happy with the rest will take care of itself.

thus spake occam's razor. :)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
Try these guys Ray. I find them pretty affordable too. I have been buying my Smith strings from them for a few years and even shipping to Australia has been no problem.

http://bassguitarstrings.us/store/home.php?cat=343

Ray, if you're still a BABP forum member you get an extra 15% discount at the above string store as well.  Just quote your forum name when you buy.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2010, 07:58:40 AM »
Don't know if I still am or not, Mark. Pete and I haven't been on good terms for a while. Worth looking into though.