Author Topic: OK, total new-guy string questions  (Read 10135 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
OK, total new-guy string questions
« on: January 03, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »
First of all, thanks to all you guys and gals on LBO. I'm becoming more and more comfortable with my bass playing (learning, actually) and way more comfortable with my bass guitar knowledge thanks to your help.  Funny enough, I'm finding myself leaning towards understanding how a bass works as a source of inspiration more than I get from playing right now.  Probably because I just am not that musically talented.  I love it anyway.

I'm also becoming way less shy about posting questions (I went a long time on forums just hanging out and reading before I'd actually post questions).

I have more questions in regards to strings and their application:
Is there a general rule-of-thumb when it comes to matching strings to basses?
Are these configurations mostly based on the type of playing and/or the genre of music you're playing?

We've all seen threads and heard talk of flats vs rounds, chrome vs nickel, etc., but I really don't understand the how's and why's of bass-to-string configurations.

I was wondering if someone with bass config knowledge can look at my current basses and tell me if any of my current match-ups (bass-to-strings) are sort of counter-intuitive...or if you have any suggestions that might significantly alter the characteristics of a bass.

For instance:  I play finger-style - mostly rock/blues-rock/rockabilly/punkabilly type music, and I have all types of 4-string basses:

Dean w/ passive EMG HZ Soaps - d'Addario XL chromes
G&L L2k Trib w/ active MFD Humbuckers - stock SIT rounds
SX Jazz w/ Audere Preamp (stock pups) - Fender Nylon rounds
Turser JTB-401 P-bass w/ TI Powerbass rounds 47-107 (I'm selling this bass this week, btw)
LTD B-254 w/ active EMG HZ's - DR Lowrider SS
Fender MIM P-Bass (passive) with Fender Superbass 7250 45-100
Gretsch Jr. Jet (Shortie) with TV-Jones mini-bucker - GHS 3020 Precision Flats
Dano '63 RI Longscale with passive lipsticks - d'Addario EXL-165 Roundwound nickels 45-105
Peavey T-40 with passive Peavey Humbuckers - DR Lowrider SS
Epi Thunderbird w/ passive TB Humbuckers - Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinkys 45-105
Peavey Fury (on it's way - Thanks GodOfThunder)!

Obviously, they're all different - that was kind of my short-term goal in accruing so many low-mid level basses.
Of the ones listed above, I get the deepest, nastiest rock tones from the T-40, followed by the G&L, which can really be altered to sound like almost anything.

Since I'm still deep in the learning stages, I'm still unsure as to what changes I can get from a bass by changing from A to B.
This is just for my edification, and for me to do more experimenting with sounds. I'm certainly not trying to waste anyone's time or effort.

mods: If I'm becoming a pain in the arse with all these questions, just delete my account. 
Wouldn't be the first social group I've been banned from.

Thanks,
Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: OK, total new-guy string questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
Steve, your questions aren't a problem at all, there just aren't any definite answers that I know of. I've had basses that  benefited hugely from a string change and others that pretty much sound the same no matter what brand.

Sound preferences, I just don't know what to say except that it's a matter of taste. In the past 10 years TI Jazz Flats have been a big favorite on various bass forums, yet I can't stand 'em -- to my ears they're all midrange all the time.

In most cases I like Slinkys for rounds and LaBellas for flats. That's what works for me.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
Steve, your questions aren't a problem at all, there just aren't any definite answers that I know of. I've had basses that  benefited hugely from a string change and others that pretty much sound the same no matter what brand.

Sound preferences, I just don't know what to say except that it's a matter of taste. In the past 10 years TI Jazz Flats have been a big favorite on various bass forums, yet I can't stand 'em -- to my ears they're all midrange all the time.

In most cases I like Slinkys for rounds and LaBellas for flats. That's what works for me.

Thanks Dave.  One thing that's been consistent is that most folks like the LaBella Flats.  Never hear very many negative things about them.

nofi

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:07:49 PM »
labellas are great but i like fender flats as well. nothing exotic here just good affordable strings.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
so, when you guys say you like flats...you mean for all your basses?  regardless of body type/pickup configuration/type of music?

I think this is where I'm getting confused (yet intrigued).

Sorry about the rudimentary questions, but I'm actually getting somewhere.
Thanks.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
so, when you guys say you like flats...you mean for all your basses?  regardless of body type/pickup configuration/type of music?

That's me.  On my basses I have D'Addario Chromes/Ernie Ball flats (same string, different packaging), TI Flats, Pyramid Flats (thanks Uwe!).  I find Fender flats and Rotosound flats to be too high tension for my liking. 

String preference is a personal thing.  I like flats because they suit my playing style, the "sound in my head", and the other musicians I play with in various bands.  I find that flats put the bass in it's own sonic territory, whereas to my ears rounds compete with the guitars for airspace.  Any bass I play with flats cuts right through, is always heard, and drives the bottom end without fuss.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »
Most of my solid body basses have Rotosound RS66LDs one 'em. My short scale hollow bodies ie Hofner, Kliras have flats. The only long scale solid body with flats is my 70's Fender P parts bass. The flats I use are Roto Sound, Diadario,Labella or whatever I can find. I rarely change my flat wound strings ('course my bases with flats don't get much use). the round wounds I change out all the time.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »

Certainly a very good question - not rudimentary at all. I can easily tell the difference of various brands of strings on my Thunderbirds, I primarily use DR stainless 45-105 for their bright attack when used with a pick, but of late have tried some Rotosound RS66's and kind of like them too, but they just don't have the same high end *sparkle* of DRs - Ok on certain of my basses.
It's been awhile but I've used Ken Smith strings too, they're quite nice and last well, just not so easy to find around here.
I tried some TI Flats a couple years back and really wanted to like them, but just couldn't get what I wanted from them, so an experiment I didn't repeat. Interesting to hear Mark's opinion on them tho.........variety is the spice of life  ;)   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 04:36:45 PM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that flats are talked about a lot on bass forums, and that's fine, but sales of flats are little more than a drop in the bucket compared to rounds. In the real world, rounds outsell all other types combined by a factor of 10x or more. Outside of specialty bass stores and specialty string stores, sales of flats are very small.

I bring this up only because I've seen people swayed by all the forum talk about flats. If that's the sound in your head, as Aussie Mark says, then go for it. To me, it's a sound that's nice to have in your arsenal but not for everything.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
The question is a good one.

My best guess is that after a while, bass players develop a preference for one or maybe two or three kinds of strings, and they tend to stay with them.  I personally like the Labella flats, but I have rounds on some basses.

My main preference is for old strings in general.  I'm pretty happy with the original rounds on my 2000 MIM Jazz, as they've lost much of the brightness I don't really like.  I also have the original rounds on my Casady bass, but I think i will be swapping them before long.  I don't think I have ever bought a set of rounds - only flats.  If I want to play rounds, I generally acquire them with a bass and just leave them on it for a long time. 

In the past few years I've bought Labella Deep Talkin' flats and D'Addario Chromes (flats) but no rounds at all.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »
I tried some TI Flats a couple years back and really wanted to like them, but just couldn't get what I wanted from them, so an experiment I didn't repeat. Interesting to hear Mark's opinion on them tho.........variety is the spice of life  ;)   

I like the TI flats on passive Fenders, and they can go ok on a Stingray as well, they're a great string for blues and "general purpose" cover band use on a P or J.  But the Chromes feel and sound better to me for "rock", I think it's because the low tension of the TI doesn't respond well to digging in deep, whereas the Chromes thump really well when pulled hard, and they sustain a lot better than most other flatwound brands.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
As much as I liked the T/I's, your description makes me think I'd like the chromes even more.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
Good questions. I have a student that I am starting to become embarrased about charging for lessons due to the fact that he has become such a great player over the last 2 years. (his effort not mine).

We were A/B-ing his new cab yesterday using the same bass and the same rig. I cant stress enough how different our sounds were just due to the way our fingers stike the strings.

Because of this it really is down to the individual player to find that "sound in your head" as Mark calls it. I also agree with his comments about how your bass will sound sonicaly different depending on the musical landscape of one band compared to another.

I love the Webstrings Stainless rounds on my long scale main basses and Ken Smith rounds on my shorts. I look for a lot of Rickenbacker style fret click when I play and while I do sometimes play flats and agree that they have a great sound, its not a sound/feel that I feel comfortable using in a majority of cases.

Most of the bassists I grew up listening to are pick players, I'm 90% fingers player. I guess I spent a lot of time not being aware of this and trying to emulate my hero's.

IMHO the best thing is to contunue experimenting until you find that comfort zone, then hone it with your technique/style. Still continue experimenting with different sounds/strings/pups/basses etc just to keep your ears alert.

Digresion our specialty!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 08:02:04 PM »
........D'Addario Chromes/Ernie Ball flats (same string, different packaging.......

Really!?  Learn something every day - who actually makes them EB or D'Addario?  I have Chromes on my P-bass and really like them and I've been a roundwound guy for life.

I have DR's on TB Studio and like them too.  Personally, I just can't fathom flats on a Tbird - just seems like castration via string choice :)  Just my opinion but a Tbird shines with rounds.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:55:27 PM by Lightyear »

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 08:27:50 PM »
I'm using Dean Markley flats on one of my basses.  I really like them even though I've read a lot of reviews that say the complete opposite.  For rounds I prefer DR Hi Beams or Lo Rider Stainless and the D'Addario Slowounds. (which they don't make anymore)