Author Topic: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?  (Read 15020 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2008, 02:00:40 PM »
How often do you still play it John?

Almost every time I do any recording which is at least once or twice a week. I am always trying to be working on something. It's been knocked off it's stand several times by drunken / clumsy guitarists, so most of the clovers on the tuners are bent (long ago). Although I am finding my Blueshawk bass to be filling it's shoes (Kahler duties)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 02:41:07 PM »
Thirteen years in College Station?  ???  And yet you seem so normal!

I earned my PhD and escaped!  However, whatever College Station does to Aggies, Pullman already did to me!  And T-Bird still has the Eastern Washington thing going, too.....

Mr.Pilgrim probably played little league baseball against my older brothers - a most pleasant coincidence to find this out some 40 odd years later. And while I didn't attend WAAZU, the Cougs are always my choice in the Apple Cup   :toast:

You sir, have excellent taste!  Go, COUGS! (And BTW, I don't claim my wrist is a thing o'beauty.  Feel free to check the avatar for a more attractive version of the Cougar logo.)

Here's my second-most-mojo bass (if I believed in Mojo), an early 70's Univox which plays great!! I like the sound and the short scale, and I think the 'burst and wood are gorgeous.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 08:22:12 PM »
My 81 Jazz that I bought NOS in 1988 for $200.  20 years later, everything still works great.  Had the same set of strings on it for more than 15 years.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 03:51:43 AM »
I earned my PhD and escaped!  However, whatever College Station does to Aggies, Pullman already did to me!  And T-Bird still has the Eastern Washington thing going, too.....

You sir, have excellent taste!  Go, COUGS! (And BTW, I don't claim my wrist is a thing o'beauty.  Feel free to check the avatar for a more attractive version of the Cougar logo.)

Here's my second-most-mojo bass (if I believed in Mojo), an early 70's Univox which plays great!! I like the sound and the short scale, and I think the 'burst and wood are gorgeous.

Wow~ This Bass is AWESOME! That fokker could make you a believer....
Give her LOVE!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »
For those of you won don't know, Pullman WA is an unusual town

Coincidentally, I spent a couple weeks one summer (1986?) in nearby Albion, WA, population 500 or so at the time.
I was a teen back then, visiting my best friend whose dad had moved from suburban NY to suburban Redmond, WA, but he opted to instead move in with his artsy lesbian mom in Albion. There were like two punk rockers in Albion that summer and he was one of them. Me, I was just a dork whose saving grace was playing bass.  His mom's girlfriend loaned me a Peavey of some sort to plunk around on while I was there. We had a fairly good time in a really boring town...  I don't remember much about Pullman though except that we went there for a movie one night.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »
Man, I lived halfway between Pullman and Albion.  It's just a tiny bedroom community.  When you're in a suburb of a town of 27,000 you're REALLY in a small town.  Two weeks stuck in Albion would be a month anywhere else.

And thanks for the kind words on that Univox.  I have two basses from the Matsumoku factory - that Univox and a Lyle that I've been messing around with but haven't put a pickup in yet.

It's a lousy pic but the bass is a walnut-colored hollowbody with a single pickup cavity. It has binding on the body and neck, and offset dots on the neck to mark positions. I have an original pickup for it, and a chrome-cover Gretsch pickup as well - haven't decided which to use.  I also have an original Univox tailpiece with rosewood insert, and a correct bridge, I just keep not getting around to finishing it.  Been sitting for 2 years.  I think that Matsu factory did some of the very nicest work coming out of Japan - the same techs were putting out Epiphone at the same time in the early 70's.

I'm really sorry when it comes to fixing basses - I keep finding other things to do first.  Dr. Bassman does more bass repair in a weekend than I do in six months.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

kungfusheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
Lessee if this pic posts...it's the back of my PRS' neck. The finish speaks pretty well for itself.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 08:29:28 PM »
Mojo's my middle name.........
1975 Fender P  i've owned since '93

1972 Gibson SB-450

1976 Gibson Ripper "custom"

1977 Gibson G3

1992 Gibson LPB-1 Les Paul bass

1975 Epiphone Coronet
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 10:16:24 PM »

And where's Mr Lee, the handsome Dragon?  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2008, 10:54:16 PM »
Skate Rat - gotta love that Precision with the Bart.  8S?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2008, 11:08:40 PM »
I dig my LPB-1.  Acoustically, the combination of mahogany body, mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard is just magic.  Weighs a freakin' ton though.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2008, 08:20:52 AM »
That was the rare 3 in a row knob with the tobacco teardrop burst that also featured the ice cream cup headstock?

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
yeah dude that P is very special to me i've played it in every band i've ever been in.(at least first jam/practice) though not using currently. i've been playin' the LPB-1 (which is not too heavy).my black Ripper & my T-40 (not pictured) what is 8s??  and Mr. Lee is loungin' by the window.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2008, 11:40:58 AM »
what is 8s??

It's the model of the Bartolini.  They make a number of different Precision pickup replacements.  The 8S is the passive one that has been around the longest, IIRC.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

rockinrayduke

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »
Paul, I almost thought I was going be to reading "Dear Penthouse Forum"...... :mrgreen: