Author Topic: Bassplayer Singers  (Read 12229 times)

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: Bassplayer Singers
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
He was on the cover of Bass Player magazine sometime last year. Great article - should have been longer. When you start listening to Chicago's early stuff you become acutely aware of what a great player he was/is. I'd like to see him put out something new with him on bass...

I remember that article, the funny part is that I guess he never felt like he was anything special on the bass and was kind of surprised bassplayer did an article on him. When I hear his playing it makes me want to pick up the pick more and practice. He is very inspiring to me being a mostly fingerstyle player. Played very nice lines also.

Blazer

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2009, 06:30:01 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2009, 07:55:32 AM »
I guess any instrumentalist with Chicago was always overshadowed by Terry Kath who became a legend even more via his untimely death. And then Chicago - unlike Blood, Sweat & Tears, who went the oppsosite way - dehorned, dumbed down and balladized their music over the years, losing the instrumental brawn they once undoubtedly had. Cetera, once he found out that people like to hear him sing ballads, was a guilty party in that. The Stone of Syssiphos album they could only bring out a decade and a half after its recording really showed a band straining at the AOR leash.

The guy who replaved Cetera as a bass player and lead vocalist is not doing a bad job IMHO, he sounds a bit more manly than Cetera who in large doses can give new meaning to the term whimp singing.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:05:43 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2009, 08:29:09 PM »
John Doe (X) and Craig Bloxom (Spy V. Spy)
John Doe's voice is just amazing, and Bloxom could belt it out with the best of 'em.
2 of my all-time favorites.  Actually, going to see X tomorrow night in Chapel Hill, NC.

Steve

You're in Chapel Hill? I'm in Raleigh!
Have you heard the new album collaboration by John Doe and The Sadies? It's awesome!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »
You're in Chapel Hill? I'm in Raleigh!
Have you heard the new album collaboration by John Doe and The Sadies? It's awesome!

I'm actually in F-V, a bit south of Raleigh.
I've heard a bit of their first album - kind of amp'd up Knitters. Very cool stuff.

Did you get a chance to see X last week?  His vocals are still strong and he had that 'ol P-Bass thumpin' the house.
I've been waiting since '81 to see these guys and was kinda prepared to be let down.. They rocked.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I guess any instrumentalist with Chicago was always overshadowed by Terry Kath who became alegend even more via his untimely death. And then Chicago - unlike Blood, Sweat & Tears, who went the oppsosite way - dehorned, dumbed down and balladized their music over the years, losing the instrumental brawn they once undoubtedly had. Cetera, once he found out that people like to hear him sing ballads, was a guilty party in that. The Stone of Syssiphos album they could only bring out a decade and a half after its recording really showed a band straining at the AOR leash.

The guy who replaved Cetera as a bass player and lead vocalist is not doing a bad job IMHO, he sounds a bit more manly than Cetera who in large doeses can give new meaning to the term whimp singing.

I can't understand the Terry Kath worship amongst guitar players, I thought he was pretty good but not top tier and his sound was kind of thin.
They should reform and play the kind of stuff that made them famous.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 16, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
I'm actually in F-V, a bit south of Raleigh.
I've heard a bit of their first album - kind of amp'd up Knitters. Very cool stuff.

Did you get a chance to see X last week?  His vocals are still strong and he had that 'ol P-Bass thumpin' the house.
I've been waiting since '81 to see these guys and was kinda prepared to be let down.. They rocked.
Steve

Ah, good old Fuquay-Varina... Nah, I didn't get a chance to see X, although I wanted to. Yet another something I should have gotten off my butt for!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.