Author Topic: Played a Squire Jaguar today  (Read 1955 times)

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Played a Squire Jaguar today
« on: November 18, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
I was killing time and stopped in at my GC and low and behold they had two Squier Jaguars.  Fit and finish were fantastic.  The bass probably weighed 8 lbs and it played well.  Very good fret work.  I didn't plug it in as there were no cables in sight and, for once, few of the sales apes to be found.  I am very tempted to go back adn buy it an tell the missus to wrap it for me ;D

One odd thing though - the tone portion of the stacked knobs were detented - probably 10 steps in all ???

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass?sku=430661

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Played a Squire Jaguar today
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:50:08 PM »
Another P/J?  ???

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:37:22 AM »
Yup, but it looks a lot better than the active CIJ Jaguar with Jazz PUPs
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:32 AM »
One odd thing though - the tone portion of the stacked knobs were detented - probably 10 steps in all ???

Interesting option for those that like that sort of thing...

Think of it like this (presume it's the top on) - you dial in a tone you like and want to tweak the volume whilst playing live, but you knock the tone and have to start fiddling and loose your flow - with a detent you can count in what suits your sound and you know you'll be on target... sounds like a nice mod tip...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
Another P/J?  ???

Yeah, but for $299 you could easily make a new guard and drop in a jazz pickup.  This is a very substantial platform.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
Haven't seen one in the flesh, but really not sure I see the point. The original Jag doesn't have much appeal for me, not keen on the shape, active, too many switches, thin neck. But if it does turn you on, why would you want a replica that has none of those things, except the shape (and the neck?).

It all hinges on the shape, I suppose. More distinctive than a Squier Jazz, but as easy to mod. I need to let go of the original perhaps.

Lightyear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
The original was turn off for me - didn't like all of the switches and just don't care for active.  I do like the shape - always have.  The Squire has block inlays but is not a bound fingerboard.  I typically like a wider neck as well but this bass was very well made and was very resonant and I love the blocks.  The only negative that I saw was the satin finish on the back of the neck which is easily rectified.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
Years ago Fender Custom Shop made a special run of four Jag basses with no pickguard and different pickups -- they were twin-jazz buckers. Now that's something different and could certainly be made in China as a Squier. Another P/J that could be converted to a J/J? Why even bother?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »
I am tempted by those too.  :-[

The original Fender model died a death for me when I played the active electronics in a shop, they sounded harsh. In my book, in this day and age, active electronics are not supposed to sound harsh anymore, we're not writing early eighties.

And I wouldn't mind the P/J combo ON THIS BASS either, for most Fenderistas it is probably a reassuring sight, they have become accustomed to its charming ugliness.  8)

Let's face it, the Jag basses were a marketing ploy from day one and not the reissue of something that ever existed or was even anticipated to ever exist when Jaguar guitars were popular. There is no such thing as "faithful" or "unfaithful" with them, Fender/Squier can do what they like (or the public wants) with them.

Still like the shape.  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:14:05 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...