Author Topic: Quite breaking news - Gibson Bass Line Up 2016  (Read 31356 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Quite breaking news - Gibson Bass Line Up 2016
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2015, 07:05:57 AM »

Someone in Nashville hates me. Most likely Henry J himself. All for a little border skirmish some 76 years ago.

But you Hessians were a big help in the war of independence.  What short memories.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2015, 08:32:03 AM »
I like the Victory Standard, but to me it looks dated - in a fun way, but it really screams 80s.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
But you Hessians were a big help in the war of independence.  What short memories.

Sigh, only one of those darn Canadian royalists could claim that about the "One nation under Canada"! Jake, the Hessian mercenaries fought for the good guys British, while Steuben, who was helping the, uhum, colonial rebels was Prussian (and Hessia back then not yet aligned with Prussia).

Unless, of course, you mean that lousy Hessian mercenary morale benefitted the independence effort more than it did the British. Desertions were prevalent so I've heard and nearly all stayed in the emerging US. Hessia was back then nothing to look forward to return to. It only got to its feet after WW II (a late benefit from being a key part of the American Occupation Zone in Germany).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2015, 08:44:16 AM »
Alright, I got that mixed up a bit... but in my defense, I am a citizen of no country involved in that conflict.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33:17 AM »
Didn't the Hessians open for Paul Revere & the Raiders back in the day? It was so long ago....

Anyway, you may be right about the G3 pickups. Or they could be the same magnets and bobbins but wound to a different spec. Only way to tell that for sure would be to measure out of circuit. Or contact Jim DeCola.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2015, 11:39:15 AM »
I see the Hessians on the TV show Sleepy Hollow.  Uwe would not appreciate the context.  Especially the (usually) headless gent with the battle axe.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
Anyway, you may be right about the G3 pickups. Or they could be the same magnets and bobbins but wound to a different spec. Only way to tell that for sure would be to measure out of circuit. Or contact Jim DeCola.

I would assume that the singles are wound a bit hotter than the individual coils of the buckers, for practical reasons, even if they are otherwise identical.  This would also explain why Uwe likes them in the G3 more than any other bass (with the bucker 'version') - wood and construction only go so far.

It wouldn't be hard to prove that - just measure coil DCR of both.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
Alright, I got that mixed up a bit... but in my defense, I am a citizen of no country involved in that conflict.

That ain't right either! What is today Canada supported the Brits in their vain attempt off battling down the American Revolution. Which put strains on early US-Canadian relations for quite a while. Canada also offered a safe haven for those colonists who were not in favor of independence.

Don't you children learn anything in Canada any more?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:01:03 AM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »

They learn how to make good poutine and cure back bacon.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 04:05:25 AM »
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Jake should really change his avatar pic from those tribal breasts or whatever they are to this here:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2015, 04:14:40 AM »
I see the Hessians on the TV show Sleepy Hollow.  Uwe would not appreciate the context.  Especially the (usually) headless gent with the battle axe.

Unsinn, I love Tim Burton films and I loved Sleepy Hollow, a wonderful homage to B movies. Christopher Walken can do no wrong for me, even beheaded, but I love him most when he's not typecast:

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2015, 04:58:55 AM »
Col. Tavington! That's harsh Uwe. If anything, nationalism is the new patriotism and at least Canada was wise enough to stop allowing the practice of anchor babies.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
They learn how to make good poutine and cure back bacon.

We're good at drinking beer too. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »
Col. Tavington! That's harsh Uwe. If anything, nationalism is the new patriotism and at least Canada was wise enough to stop allowing the practice of anchor babies.

I'm joking of course. The Patriot is historically as accurate as Monster of Loch Ness sightings are zoologically credible.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2015, 09:41:47 AM »

That ain't right either! What is today Canada supported the Brits in their vain attempt off battling down the American Revolution. Which put strains on early US-Canadian relations for quite a while. Canada also offered a safe haven for those colonists who were not in favor of independence.

Actually it is correct because Canada did not exist at the time.  And I do not mean as an independant nation, I mean as a cohesive whole - it was various seperate colonies roughly analogous to the current provinces which were only united under Confederation (almost a full century later, more if you count when all the current provinces joined).  We were all still Brittish citizens until the 70s, and since I never emigrated here until 1981, I was never  British citizen.

You're off your lawyer game, here bud.  Too much time in the boardroom vs the courtroom methinks.  :P

They didn't teach us about Hessian mercs at all (it is, to be fair, a minor detail), but yeah, we totally learned about that one time we kicked the Yanks asses and burned down the first White House.

Not sure how you mean, but if you were born here, you're a Citizen.  This is something that cannot possibly be removed without risk of creating nationless people, which is a much more horrible proposition than some extra immigration.  What I know they have done recently (just as despicable) is create a 2-tierd citizenship - anyone who has the prospect of foreign citizenship (even if born here and not currently having dual citizenship status, but merely being technically eligable, even if unaware of said eligibility) can have citizenship revoked under certain vague conditions (i.e. ccmmitting a "terrorist" act, anywhere in the world, also something about other foreign criminal acts; don't recall exact details). So basically, if I was in Poland and participated in a peaceful protest but got arrested, I could be de-Canuked, which is ridiculous.  What's even more ridiculous, is to revoke the citizenship of a person who has no other citrizenship (I am dual) making them nationless (just because you're eligible, doesn't mean you are aware, and applying for it is difficult/impossible without some other citizenship due to, for example, lack of valid ID).

I am not sure (ping Uwe) but the whole citizenship by place of birth might be an international law thing, and for good reason.  Eliminating it is not morally possible; a Trump-meets-quixote ideal just like those other proposals to deport 11 million current US illegals and build a wall along the Mexican border - both cost too much to be feasible and would not be effective in the long term (not worth the exorbitant cost).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:01:55 AM by Granny Gremlin »