Author Topic: Thinning the neck on an Epi Bird  (Read 1004 times)

lowendgenerator

• I'm not a retard, but I play one on stage...
    • View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
Thinning the neck on an Epi Bird
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
I just find that the girth of my Epi goth bird neck is too much for me. So the other day I decided to whip out the trusty non-directional-orbital-sander (henceforth known as "the jitterbug") and started whacking away at that demonic black paint. I got the neck down to a near-jazz profile, but with the original width of the neck. I took some sandpaper and a soft block and evened out my work, got the neck nice and smooth.

Then came the rough part. Painting.

I bought some automotive flat black, this stuff is NASTEE! It's thick, it runs, and it's very sticky. I don't like it at all. I figured I would take the entire back of the neck down to bare wood and start over. But what paint to use this time? Any suggestions?
Thunderbird > BDDI > SVT-CL > 4x10 CL + 1x18 = :)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Thinning the neck on an Epi Bird
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »

Adam,

I kinda put the cart before the horse.........I haven't ordered my Epi 'Bird yet, but already know that the neck is a bit of a log. Here's my pre-emptive solution, it'll have some Hipshot ultralite clovers  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowendgenerator

• I'm not a retard, but I play one on stage...
    • View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 08:43:22 AM »
Nice! I recall you talking about a Fenderbird project. You gotta post pics of that when you're done! If I figure out a decent painting solution, I'll do your T bird neck if you like. It only takes me about a half hour to get the neck profile down. The hard part is painting (obviously lol).

Are you picking up a goth bird? If you aren't going to use the neck on it, can I buy it from you? I love the lack of inlays, and I want to do a white bird.
Thunderbird > BDDI > SVT-CL > 4x10 CL + 1x18 = :)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »

This one's already finished, just yellow tinted clear-coat. I'm getting a metallic red Epi 'Bird, when I'm certain this will work, the red Epi neck will be surplus.......if ya need it, no problem  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
 First decide if you are going to go natural or a painted finish. Either way you are going to have to seal the grain with sanding sealer. After that lightly sand with 320 grit or if you want to go nuts wet sand with 400-500 grit. now if you are going to paint I would prime the neck out with two coats of primer, wet sand with 600-800 grit between coats, then start with your flat black finish coat. Make you coats light ! many light coats  yield a much better finish than trying to cover in one  coat, lightly sand between each coat. Then use a flat or satin clear coat over the finish, again lightly sanding between coats. If you go natural sanding sealer, then sand as above, then clear( gloss or satin) coat lightly wet sanding between coats. Or the real easy way is to sand the neck down to bare wood and us tungue oil on the neck. Just wipe on let dry, light sand, wipe on etc. thios will give the neck a nice natural feel. Hope this helps.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird