Author Topic: One of the birds has to go back  (Read 4797 times)

lowendgenerator

• I'm not a retard, but I play one on stage...
    • View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
One of the birds has to go back
« on: April 01, 2008, 11:03:03 PM »
Tried to get the Sunburst setup like the Goth this evening, and found the truss rod to be frozen in place.  I couldn't turn it either way. I wasn't about to force it. I only hope that they can get me another T-Bird, as I've already grown attached to it.

I also modified the bass already, hopefully they won't notice. I have to put the original (crap) strings back on, take my strap lock buttons off and all of that good mess. Thank God I bought it at Guitar Center, I won't have an issue returning it. Returning stuff to GC is almost as easy as returning stuff to WalMart.

On a scale of 1-10, how upset should I be? Take into consideration that my Blackbird is setup and plays great.
Thunderbird > BDDI > SVT-CL > 4x10 CL + 1x18 = :)

Bass VI

• View Profile
Re: One of the birds has to go back
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 11:26:33 PM »
If they swap you out for another, I think you're in the 2.5 to 3.7 on the Mad Meter, aggravating but not soul-crushing  ;D

S.

PS: You could always let them try to adjust the truss rod, if they snap it off, they should be more than willing to exchange it for another. Not to bad-mouth GC, but if your local store is anything like mine, they will break it!
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

lowendgenerator

• View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 11:58:47 PM »
If they swap you out for another, I think you're in the 2.5 to 3.7 on the Mad Meter, aggravating but not soul-crushing  ;D

S.

PS: You could always let them try to adjust the truss rod, if they snap it off, they should be more than willing to exchange it for another. Not to bad-mouth GC, but if your local store is anything like mine, they will break it!

I don't want to badmouth them either, but yeah, they'll probably give it a tug. I think maybe 1 bird may be enough. I'm sure it would make the wife happy if I just returned it lol. 3 basses in a week is a bit much.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:28 AM »
 Scott...........ROFL  :D

2.5 to 3.7 on the Mad Meter!

Seriously tho, I'd take it back and ask them to see if the can carefully adjust that truss rod, if not yeah, have them take it back, no reason they shouldn't make good on it. One thing for sure at this point, you will find another Epi!  
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

lowendgenerator

• View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 12:10:05 AM »
Scott...........ROFL  :D

2.5 to 3.7 on the Mad Meter!

Seriously tho, I'd take it back and ask them to see if the can carefully adjust that truss rod, if not yeah, have them take it back, no reason they shouldn't make good on it. One thing for sure at this point, you will find another Epi! 

Well I still have the Goth bird, and it's setup is to die for. I've never played a bass with lower action, even tuned CGCF. I can't wait to get it on with my SVT rig! I don't know if I want 2 Goth birds though, maybe they can find me a white bird. That would be awesome, light and dark, yin and yang. The silly ideas I get at 2am!

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 12:31:52 AM »
You just reminded me of how I got my goth $100 off. Musician's Friend, I think that was it, had the white limited Epi bird on outlet and they sold it to me when they did not have anymore so I got them to replace it with the goth bird.

You also reminded me that I need to set up my bridge a little bit more when I get a chance between work.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

lowendgenerator

• View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 12:54:51 AM »
You just reminded me of how I got my goth $100 off. Musician's Friend, I think that was it, had the white limited Epi bird on outlet and they sold it to me when they did not have anymore so I got them to replace it with the goth bird.

You also reminded me that I need to set up my bridge a little bit more when I get a chance between work.

Nice, glad to help. I just got done replacing all of the stock parts. I wonder if they'll notice the missing MADE IN CHINA stickers on the back of the headstock. That's the first thing to go, all of the labels and logos. I even took the Epiphone logo off the truss cover, hope they don't notice that. Who am I kidding, it's Guitar Center, they won't notice.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 12:58:02 AM »
I think maybe 1 bird may be enough.

Nóóó! You never have too many Birds! Buy more! :)

lowendgenerator

• View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
Nóóó! You never have too many Birds! Buy more! :)

I already have too many P and J basses. Maybe I'll just swap out some Fenders for more Tbirds. I'm really surprised how well they play for Epiphones.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 01:42:56 AM »
I'll guess after some months here, you don't have a single F****r left;)

But tell us about your collection! BTW: I have a Fieste Red MIM 50s P. It's always nice to have one.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:39:20 AM »
There are some custom color TBs floating around.  There were metallic blue and red as well as white Epi TBs out there.  Look around in the stores and on eBay.  I love the red one, my local store has one and it's a beauty in metallic red.

BTW, I was a j bass guy for years then I played a white TB in the store.  I bought it on the spot.  I got rid of the j basses and never looked back.  The TB bass in any configuration is a great bass and I love them all!

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 05:10:53 AM »
 I would exchange the bass for another. Even IF GC can adjust it this time what happens next time ? I tweak mine on average 3-4 times a year.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:32:58 AM »
I would exchange the bass for another. Even IF GC can adjust it this time what happens next time ? I tweak mine on average 3-4 times a year.

I agree with Scott.  If the truss rod on a new bass is a bit frozen, get another bass.  Let GC deal with it after you leave!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

lowendgenerator

• View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 05:40:19 AM »
Oh yeah, there's no doubt about it. The bass is going back. I refuse to accept anything less than a perfectly functional bass. Especially with that kind of return policy. :D

lowendgenerator

• View Profile
    • Destructive Playthings
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:01:53 AM »
I'll guess after some months here, you don't have a single F****r left;)

But tell us about your collection! BTW: I have a Fieste Red MIM 50s P. It's always nice to have one.

About my collection. I don't have any American Fenders, nor do I really feel the urge to own one. Here's a list of what I have right now.

2000 MIM Deluxe Jazz (Main player)
Squier VMJ (sweet!)
Frankenbass P/MM (my first relic)
Frankenbass J (with P neck!)
Squier MIK P (best $50 I own)

All of my Fenders have BAII bridges installed. I HATE stock bridges with a passion. They're always falling apart.

I also have 3 Ibanez basses: SR800, SR480 and EDB600.

I've got a soft spot for modern sounding basses. Ibanez is cheap used and fills that gap nicely.