Author Topic: Kenny Murdo's Kiss pictures  (Read 8638 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Kenny Murdo's Kiss pictures
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
Ta Lowend (what is your name...?) the neg scanner is a plustek opticfilm 7200 (dedicated 35mm - cost £80) which came bundled with a prog called Silverfast (V2.0.7, which appears to be product locked) which has a lovely scratch removal auto-feature - a bit slow, but you pay for... I also have an old Epson Perfection 1200 with the neg scanner add on (which is getting old but works fine) - the primary pic software is 10 years old, called Micrografx Picture Publisher v8 - got very good reviews when it came out, but...

PC's a reasonably spec'd mid range Dell, post the (PSU?) death of the last hybrid just before Christmas...

The idea of trawling through ebay has validity but it is difficult to find at the right price and what looks legit...

Dave could put up the thread but it looks like we might end up hogging it...  ;D

I think I took these shots with an old Zenith E, then had a couple of Chinnon's, then a Pentax Super A until I went digital in 2003 (but in a budget way, just family stuff these days) with a Fuji 602 for our trip to your fair country... I considered that (pro) route, too, but could not afford to take the risk...

There's more nice ones to come...

My name is Billy. I scan my negs with an Epson Perfection 2400, usually set at 2400 or 4800 but that's not actual, as the higher resolutions are software interpolated (most consumer scanners are). You cant get spectacular scans unless you go professional and start getting your stuff drum scanned. Not worth the cost and trouble. especially if you're negs are grainy.
I shot the Kiss pics with an old Kowa 35mm on Kodacolor 400. I made a lateral move to a Pentax K1000 a couple years later, and ultimately to an Olympus E-10 digital SLR (got a great deal used). I would go after Photoshop Elelments if I were you - I have an older version (2) that came with my scanner, and it's a pretty nice package for the consumer. I would also be remiss if I didn't make a shameless plug for Apple - I know Dave loves them. ;D
As a graphic designer, I do some product and event photography as a tie-in to my other work, plus I do some sports stuff with the kids - and the odd trip to a club to catch a band.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »
Well Billy, you'll never believe me, but I just saw a horde of beggars riding by the house on some thoroughbreds... ;D

Yep... APPLE and PS would be my prefered tools... definitely (my buddy Graham is a dedicaded MAC user and keeps asking  me, "When are you going to get a real PC...?"
Never knew that about scanners...
I have used so many film types but mostly stuck with common brands, occasionally playing with stuff that went out to 1000 or 1600asa, then Fuji for a while, but stuck with Koda-gold until I went digi - that's a nice camera you've got, but as you said, tools of the trade...  8) - only name I can see on the Kiss stock is "Kodacolor II film"...

I have scanned in all my family pics I have traced from family members willing to help and passed them on to all I can find... suprising how many people are just not interested in pics... one is at least 1899, as I know when he died - I have 5 of nine grt grands - all pre WW2...
Done a lot of clearing up work, but some images need tools I don't have at this time, so I wait patiently - the family negs from '88 to '03 are another project, and last will be the music negs, but then there's the writing which I have stalled on...

Define "photographic tragedy"... there was a BIG old leather suitcase, chock full of family negs, that my dad threw out prior to the pair of them leaving London and moving back to Scotland in 1989 - never asked anyone - I was gutted...
After he passed in 2001 (mum passed in '92) my aunt gave me a private photo album that had belonged to my mum; never knew it even existed; he told her to give it to a lady that was her maid of honour at their wedding saying, "I don't want these; she'll know who they are..." there were shots of her parents and family I had never seen before - over 200 of them... my aunt just "didn't feel right" about giving them away...
He gave another photo album (his mum's...?) to a cousin in Oz without consulting us - she is (reputedly) so jealous of its contents she won't even let her brother have it to scan them for me...
My last living aunt had a box of pics she gave me as "don't know who they are" - 300+ - found her parent's wedding shot in it - 1922 - only one that exists...
I found that my sister had placed a vareity of pictures she had "acquired" in a family picture frame in his hall - among them was a wedding shot of my mum's parents - around 1919 - when I found it the sun had damaged it to such a degree that my gran's face had almost bleached to nothing - the only one that exists... :sad:

Always converted them back to B&W, not retaining the sepia tones when scanned - kinda sacrilege, but that is what they would have looked like, originally...

Just need to knuckle down and finish the book research...  ;)

another good rant...

no scanning tonight... oh well...  :sad:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »
Ken, I totally get your frustration regarding the lack of interest in photos from so many family members. I've always been obsessed with family history, stories, photos and such. I'm glad you've been able to salvage what you have. BTW, I'm as obsessed with pictures of my own life time as I am with the older ones. I just wish I'd taken better care of them! Keep up the good work though, they look great!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 04:19:17 AM »
George... I don't get the attitude of people on my "home" Island... the most notable geneaologist (Bill Lawson) is over the 50 books published and is a lowlands Scot, another archivist is English... The place is haemorrhaging the indigenous population and "white-settlers" are buying up the place for the laid-back lifestyle...

... and just as obsessed...  ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2009, 04:35:56 PM »
This will probably be the last I post of these - finished the scans and heres a taster of the 2nd set of pics...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »
And somebody mentioned dripping blood...?

I'd probably say there are about 50 reasonably viewable shots with about 10 good-to-print, so I'm happy and suprised - still a little work to be done to tidy them up, but alls well that ends well...   ;)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »
OH YEAH!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
I CAN'T HEAR YA!!!

Cool stuff. LOVE that bass post-black paint job, pre-studs.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2009, 04:29:42 AM »
And somebody mentioned dripping blood...?

[

Much appreciated, Ken, does take me back ...  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Hornisse

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 09:17:13 AM »
I'm proud to say that among Dee Murray and Mel Schacher, Gene Simmons was one of the guys that made me want to play bass!  My very first good bass (after my Kingston) was a Gibson G-3.

Blazer

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 01:31:28 PM »
ROCK N ROLL ALL NIGHT AND PARTY EVERYDAY!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

Makes me recall the first time I saw them on tour with Rush..........  ;D

Thanks Ken!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2009, 02:35:59 AM »
I saw them once in London and once here. Just great fun both times.  Cool pics Ken
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »
If anyone wants a specific shot I'm happy to e one over...