Author Topic: Rest In Peace Rutger Gunnarsson  (Read 3342 times)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Rest In Peace Rutger Gunnarsson
« on: May 08, 2015, 03:17:56 PM »
http://www.thelocal.se/20150508/abba-bass-player-rutger-gunnarsson-dies

:sad:

No cause of death given yet.  Loved his funky lines with Abba. 

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Rest In Peace Rutger Gunnarsson
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:21:43 PM »
RIP
I liked his playing as well.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 04:43:12 PM »
+1, great lines
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
RIP. Cool that he was with them throughout their career. I had to learn/play Dancing Queen a couple years ago and really enjoyed it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:51:55 PM »
Nuff said:

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
That's a great song. I'll not hide my love of ABBA. RIP Rutger.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 03:35:21 AM »
I already liked them when it wasn't really cool to do so! These days it's a given that as a musician you cannot help but appreciate ABBA. They're a bit like 10CC, cleverly constructed little pieces of music. And then there is this Nordic melancholy in their songs that keeps it all from sounding too sweet. And while ABBA were always selfdeprecating about their live capabilities because they couldn't really reproduce those multi-layered vocals that were their trademark, I only recently heard a live CD from a concert in Wembley in 79 and found that they sounded live even better (warmer) than in the studio where their perfectionsim sometimes stiffened things a little.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 02:55:07 AM »
ABBA writes In memoriam over Rutger Gunnarson in Swedens leading newspaper today. I've used Googles translation service. Hope you can read it:

Rutger Gunnarsson, Stockholm has died at the age of 69 years. He is survived by his son Richard and daughters Minnie and Joanna, and relatives, friends and colleagues.

You never laugh so much as together with real musicians. There is a childishness and playfulness, which are unique to the genus. It is perhaps the happiness of mastering an instrument and to be able to express their feelings through it, which leads one to dare lower your guard and be as open and generous to the world as Rutger Gunnarsson was. A true musician, he was one of the best and legendary far beyond our country's borders.

He told how he once stood next to a young man in a men's toilet somewhere in Sweden. The young man recognized him and was bowled over when he discovered that he was standing next legendary bassist Gunnarsson, and the only thing he was about to say was: "Has something happened in bassis lately?" The answer is that, yes, it has. One of the major has gone away. One of the bassis period leading prophets.

Rutger came into our lives at some point in the late 60s. Bjorn ethnic group, with the strange name Hootenanny Singers, were out on the summer tour and Benny would follow. But the group was missing a bass player. Someone had recommended Rutger Gunnarsson from Linköping and he came to Vallentuna and met us in Benny and Frida's townhouse.

We fell not only for his classical guitar playing but also the humor, which constantly sparkled in his eyes and the fast reply. This was someone we could have fun with, and if anything should be fine in our world, you have to have fun. It is one of the bassis period leading bid. Obviously, he got the job.

When we became ABBA he followed us throughout our career. He was on our tours in Australia, Japan, North America and Europe. When we jumped around on stages around the world, stood rock Rutger, calm and steady, behind us with a smile. The archetype of the similtude, and security, a really good bass player can provide a band.

He was also, with few exceptions, with all our recordings, and in the close collaboration in the studio, he found divine basslines and played them with numbing precision. Melodic and always efficient driving loops that swung so that one was too happy. There Rutger was in his element, just when he was in the marvelous community, which occurs when folk create music together.. The music lives on in the memory of the departed comrade Rutger Gunnarsson.

Agnetha, Frida, Benny and Björn

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 08:02:57 AM »
That's really, really nice.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 03:23:43 AM »
Nice that they gave him that credit.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:24 PM »
+1 ... rip...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:53:20 PM »
One of my all time favorite bassplayers. From what I've read in the past he was always looking for the best suitable basslines for each song (I tend to think managed io). He was also producing and arranging.