Author Topic: one off LP  (Read 2240 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: one off LP
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
It's not a Gibson bass. A bass made with some Gibson parts isn't a Gibson even if it was made by an employee -- which I doubt it was.

exactly ... I know a guy that has a none-Epiphone, Epiphone one off kind of thingy with a fake Starfire pup. HEHE
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 05:44:45 AM »
Didn't Gibson sell off a bunch of leftover parts when they shuttered the Kalamazoo plant?

I had a contact for years, who's mother worked at the Kalamazoo plant. Many of the former workers must have had tons of spare parts at their homes, & he seemed to know who had what. He was able to locate just about anything I was looking for. He would then ask me to give him a price that I was willing to pay............always took my offer & sent the parts. Then one day he fell off of the map............
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »
I had a contact for years, who's mother worked at the Kalamazoo plant. Many of the former workers must have had tons of spare parts at their homes, & he seemed to know who had what. He was able to locate just about anything I was looking for. He would then ask me to give him a price that I was willing to pay............always took my offer & sent the parts. Then one day he fell off of the map............

Same, same. got a fingerboard and neck from a guy who was selling a bunch of stuff from a warehouse auction of old Gibby/Epi parts in Kali. Went on my first "parts bass" I gave to a kid. Yeah, that is an actual Starfire pup in there and not a Freddy H. pup.

This bass.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:17:00 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2014, 09:41:02 AM »
I am doubtful about the veneer thing due to the binding.  The dude woulda had to have sanded down the top wood, and probably remove the binding, add the veneer and then rebind it.  Too much work when you could just plug holes and refin solid.

Look at this pic:

There is no veneer stepping above the binding.  The pic of the open control cavity is too dark to see any layers in there from what I see.

I would believe the sellers story, but as Dave said, that doesn't make this a Gibson, and it certainly doesn't make it desirable at all (unless you like the result, but it's all kinda of characterless bits) or valuable.  I suspect they took a bound but otherwise unrouted (or just control route) and unfinished body and neck (without fretboard, or replaced it later) home and went to town. Looks like the structural work (fretboard, routing, even the finishing) at least was well done, but that's the only good thing I can say about it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:47:46 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 11:45:16 AM »
Good point Jake

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »
exactly ... I know a guy that has a none-Epiphone, Epiphone one off kind of thingy with a fake Starfire pup. HEHE

Sounds like something I'd do in my Frankenstein workshop!   8)
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:36 PM »
I am doubtful about the veneer thing due to the binding.  The dude woulda had to have sanded down the top wood, and probably remove the binding, add the veneer and then rebind it.  Too much work when you could just plug holes and refin solid.

Look at this pic:

There is no veneer stepping above the binding.  The pic of the open control cavity is too dark to see any layers in there from what I see.

I would believe the sellers story, but as Dave said, that doesn't make this a Gibson, and it certainly doesn't make it desirable at all (unless you like the result, but it's all kinda of characterless bits) or valuable.  I suspect they took a bound but otherwise unrouted (or just control route) and unfinished body and neck (without fretboard, or replaced it later) home and went to town. Looks like the structural work (fretboard, routing, even the finishing) at least was well done, but that's the only good thing I can say about it.

I'd tend to believe that.  Recall all the unfinished neck blanks, headstock veneers, etc... that GreatDealz was selling on Ebay.  I'm sure plenty of stuff like that scurried out of the factory over the years.  This is probably someone's personal project based on those type of parts.