Author Topic: New GK Day :)  (Read 4182 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
New GK Day :)
« on: June 15, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
 My new amp is well..................Very much like my old amp!
After 7 years ( Hard to belive!) I've decided to move to a new amp. It's really not much of a move however, my Gallien Krueger 1001RBII has been a great amp with plenty of headroom for anything my band does on a regular basis, in fact that's it's only real problem - it's a bit too much amp.
 Our typical shows have me doing one or the other of the following:
-We have good FOH support and my rig is onstage with low volume so I can feel it - the band gets my signal in their IEMs and the PA does the work.
-We are playing a smaller place, like a bar with the band playing as loud as our drummer ( he plays at an average volume ) unmic'd, so my amp provides all the bass.

In either situation I wasn't working the amp very hard, neither the input gain or master volume were anywhere near noon so the amp wouldn't really "open up" and work hard - GK's like to be pushed a little especially on the input gain side. Also, because of it's higher wattage GK always recommended plugging the amp into a 20 amp circuit without using any extension cords - Not always easily done at some venues we've played so I had a Furman AR1215 Line Voltage Regulator riding around in the road case along with the amp ( there were quite a few times I was happy it was there too, as I'd turn it on an see the incoming voltage as low 98 volts and the GK wouldn't even turn on with so little incoming. ) which made the road case quite heavy and meant I needed a separate case for my IEM gear as well.

So my solution was to take a step down and try an amp with a bit less wattage that I could "push" a little bit, for me the choice was easy as I've used GK for more than 30years.  A 700RBII was the logical choice ( 480  watts ) with the same front panel layout as my 1001, it's lighter, needs less power and I have to push it to get the volume level  I had before. It also meant I could ditch the the heavy, unloved AR1215, which opened up space in the road case for my IEM gear, so the case got rebuilt slightly just those two on the front side, and a new Furman rack mount plug strip in back - I also added a switched 120volt fan on the back side for increased ventilation.

So far, I'm really enjoying working with the amp, the band is on a short three week break which has given me time to work it in and adjust some levels on my Line 6 pedal as well. I'm lovin' my GK!   

Here's the old rig with the AR1215 and Mike Lull's Hiwatt DR103 sitting on top.

And the new setup with the 700RBII and my Shure IEM in the front, new plug strip and fan in the back.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: New GK Day :)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
Looks like a winner to me, Mark.  You'll give it enough workout in a few weeks to be sure it's doing what you want to do.

BTW...Where'd the stray Hiwatt come from??
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
Congrats Mark! The never ending quest for the perfect rig. I am so very happy with my choice of Orange, I hope you are just as happy with your new GK. :toast:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:09:41 AM »
Mark...you should just get a 100 watt Hiwatt....like I used to have...and hope to have again someday...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Mark...you should just get a 100 watt Hiwatt....like I used to have...and hope to have again someday...

That's Mike Lull's Hiwatt, he was kind enough to let me enjoy it for a couple weeks - and I did, it has beautiful tone with some of my basses, especially the single pup ones when played fingerstyle.
I find that I'm not too sentimental about amps, at least compared to basses - perhaps it would be different if I owned a Hiwatt.  spent a part of my weekend working up the GK along with my Line 6, I have a lot of work ahead resetting volume levels etc, but so far it's proving to be the right choice for me.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 12:55:13 PM »
been adding an extra rack based fan in my rigs for years.  makes a huge difference IMO.  rack cases really keep the heat in sometimes....
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
been adding an extra rack based fan in my rigs for years.  makes a huge difference IMO.  rack cases really keep the heat in sometimes....

No way having a fan can hurt you, and it definitely provides a safety factor.  Good idea.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:29:55 AM »
Mark do you have your fan blowing in or out??    i have always aimed it in thinking it moves more air around then the other way but i seem to be the only one doing that
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
it's supposed to be sucking hot air out, i think. like a window fan at home.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »
FWIW my 2 s.s. Ampegs have original equipment exhaust fans.  The intake/exhaust path through the heat source is important.  Also that all fans pull in the same direction.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:10:30 AM by dadagoboi »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:09 AM »
Mark do you have your fan blowing in or out??    i have always aimed it in thinking it moves more air around then the other way but i seem to be the only one doing that

The amp has an integral exhaust fan mounted on top off center which draws the hot air out it, the fan I mounted on the back of the of the road case to push that air out the front grille. It has 2 rack spaces of clearance and would likely ventilate itself just fine, my addition is for a few situations (like playing 3 one hour sets in a night) that the amp would be working hard for a long time. Likely anal retentive overkill on my part  ;)