Author Topic: Traynor Amps  (Read 4634 times)

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
Traynor Amps
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:28:09 AM »
I recently bought myself one of the first big amps that I owned back in the late 60's and used through the 70's and 80's. It's a 1973 Traynor YBA-3 Custom Special with a Traynor YC-810 Cabinet that's has been stored away for a number of years and is in original condition. Still has its 4 stock Phillips 6CA7 power tubes in it along with the 3 Phillips 12AX7A preamp tubes. The only change to the amp has been the replacement of the power cord from a 2 prong to a 3 prong grounded cord. The amp still sounds fantastic!

Here's photo of it.

Did you own a Traynor amp in your youth? If so what model was it, and what did you think of it? Do you have a photo of it you can post here?

TD
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:39:54 PM by thornton davis »
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Traynor Amps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 05:33:32 AM »
My first real amp was a Traynor YBA-1 paired with a 1x18 cab. I bought it from the Jazz cat that used to teach me when I was a kid. Sound wise paired with the 1x18 it was like a foghorn and a bit of a dissapointment. Once I paired it with a Traynor 8x10 it was nothing short of amazing ! I have been looking for a Traynor set up for quite some time. I would gig and record with one no problem !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:09:54 AM »
I had an early Traynor 185 watt Something or another Bassmaster and it was a piece of crap. I had a buddy who bought the same amp you've got shortly after and it was great. He prefered it over his SVT.
Rick

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »

Mine's a contemporary YBA-200-2, I really like what this amp does with single pup basses, just creamy vintage goodness that I love! I've used it at a couple shows now and like it alot but it does have it's limitations in output and mantaining a good defined tone, either you're not playing too loud or you're running most of your volume out the FOH and getting a decent monitor feed back.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »
Check out Traynor's new TC-412 cabinet. Neodynium speakers, 4 ohms mono or 8 ohms when split into stereo.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
Too bad that most US stores don't stock big Traynor bass cabs. That thing looks killer.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »
Too bad that most US stores don't stock big Traynor bass cabs. That thing looks killer.

Indeed! I think my YBA-200-2 would sould quite nice paired up ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:33:39 AM »
The TC412 cabinet just started arriving in Long & McQuade stores in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) today. I've got a new EBMM Big Al 5-H arriving next week, so i'll check out this cab while i'm picking up my bass. Will let you guys know what I think of it. I'm expect to be impressed.

List price is $1275.00 Cdn, street price is $1075.00 Cdn (for now).

Here's a link to the specs.  http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?id=427&cat=61&type=6

TD
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 11:39:30 AM by thornton davis »