Author Topic: Geddy Lee's New Book!!!  (Read 7377 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: Geddy Lee's New Book!!!
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 04:40:40 AM »
Just received mine! Fantastic book, much better than my expectations.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2019, 02:37:48 AM »
I ordered the book last friday night. And it was delivered the very next day in the afternoon.
It is beautiful!
And quite heavy too!
I had bought it to bring along on my vacation, but decided against it because of its weight. I was afraid to damage it.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »
I ordered the book last friday night. And it was delivered the very next day in the afternoon.
It is beautiful!
And quite heavy too!
I had bought it to bring along on my vacation, but decided against it because of its weight. I was afraid to damage it.

That book is a vacation, Rob!

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2019, 03:12:20 PM »
I just finished looking at the book. I noticed that at least one bass that is in my personal top 5 is not mentioned: the Guild Starfire. I have one in almost pristine conditions. And a De Armond too.
Also no mention of Grabbers, Rippers or Rd’s.
But I’ve the great book of Rob for that, maybe Mr.Lee should have bought a copy!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 03:51:21 AM »
I just finished looking at the book. I noticed that at least one bass that is in my personal top 5 is not mentioned: the Guild Starfire. I have one in almost pristine conditions. And a De Armond too.
Also no mention of Grabbers, Rippers or Rd’s.
But I’ve the great book of Rob for that, maybe Mr.Lee should have bought a copy!

I'll just speak for myself.  But it would be hard to ignore any Starfires, Grabbers, Rippers, or RDs. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 08:29:51 AM »
He gets way, way, WAY deep into the Fender stuff, at the expense of covering a whole lot of other basses. I might have already mentioned that it's disappointing he completely blew off the early "boutique" builders like Alembic and Spector and the advent of active electronics entirely. Whether you like that stuff or not, it's an important part of the bass guitar's history. Not complaining, love the book. The chapter on his stage basses is awesome for an old fan-boy like me.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 07:25:09 AM »
I don't think Geddy wanted to be complete and have all basses, but he just bought the basses he liked and he shows us those.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2019, 09:43:47 PM »
I don't think Geddy wanted to be complete and have all basses, but he just bought the basses he liked and he shows us those.

I haven't bought the book yet, but that's my understanding of what it's supposed to be, basses from his personal collection.

tore00

• View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 12:30:07 AM »
I was just wondering why he didn’t add such basses to his collection. He clearly owns unusual basses as Hagstrom and Eko, and ones that I’ve never seen in his hands, as the EB1 or EB3.
I can’t believe that he has never meet a Starfire looking for vintage basses.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 01:14:28 AM »
I was just wondering why he didn’t add such basses to his collection. He clearly owns unusual basses as Hagstrom and Eko, and ones that I’ve never seen in his hands, as the EB1 or EB3.

I think it's unlikely you'll see an EB-1 or EB-3 in the hands of anyone fond of Fenders.  Most Fender fans don't like those basses or an EB-2 and especially not an EB-0.  I'm speaking in general of course.  There are always many exceptions.  As for Geddy Lee, of course he is legendary.  But I've never been a Rush fan and have never kept up with what basses he played.  I hope this doesn't make me sound like a barbarian on a Geddy Lee thread, but it probably does. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 02:30:38 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 03:43:25 AM »

Well, until 2012 he only had a couple of vintage basses - those he used live and in the studio (A jazz and a Rick).
I think the collection is amazing, he even grew fond of short scale Gibson basses as well as Höfners. Judging from what he writes,
he's obsessive and probably will collect more basses.