Author Topic: Dean JAE Fenderbirds  (Read 10138 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Dean JAE Fenderbirds
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
I'm late to the party.
It's cool that a brand like Dean is jumping on the JAE wagon.
But I doubt if fans will dig their take on the Fenderbird that much; The headstock, the different body shape, the controls...

Meanwhile I'm waiting for a new batch of Fenderbirds from BaCH to arrive any day now.
As well as some new NR Tbirds.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 07:49:05 AM »
Just got my 10th JAEbird order, which is half of what I thought I'd get for the entirety of 2011.  Dean's bottom of the line Entwistle is supposed to retail for around $600-$700.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2011, 11:08:29 AM »
What's the price of a BaCH Fenderbird again, Rob?

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »
350 euro (incl BTW)
(294 without vat)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2011, 10:37:38 AM »
Thanks!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 12:07:31 PM »
Remember that Dean Zelinski sold his company again.  He's no longer part of the process.  His new company is DBZ Guitars.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:52 AM »
His badge at the NAMM read: 'The real Dean' :D

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 05:05:10 AM »
I have no doubt that Carlos and BaCH versions of the Fenderbird will be of a higher overall build quality than the mass produced Deans but dont write them of so easily. I have 10 basses, 8 of which I play regularly. 2 of that 8 are mainstays that will get played at every gig. One of the remaining 2 is a cheap ($200) second hand Dean Edge. I want to hate it, I want to tell it its not good enough and leave it home yet there it is at every show. Yes I've upgraded pups, (LoZ EMG Humbuckers :P) and the electronics and bridge but the damn neck is as close to perfect for me as I've tried. The body (basswood) has fantastic balance and doesn't break my back and the all important sound is right up there with a punchy yet still woody tone and good enough to record with.

Any idea of prices?

I had the same experience with my Edge.  It had 2 EMG HZ passive soaps, but the neck was fabulous. Everyone who played it (my Jam Room gets a lot of traffic) really like playing it and loved the neck.  Almost everything I read about Dean basses on another forum said that they suck.  This Edge was nice to play and I couldn't get myself to sell it, even when I ended up having more than I wanted to keep. I ended up giving it to a kid who was looking to start learning bass, but he had no cash.

Still, I'm jonesing for a BaCH, but if Dean made the Fenderbird to the same standard as that Edge-1, I'd look at it.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.