Author Topic: Dean JAE Fenderbirds  (Read 10137 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Dean JAE Fenderbirds
« on: January 11, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
 I posted this in response to a thread on TB Dean has entered the Fenderbird ring  :rolleyes: I like Carlo's (Cataldo Bass) offerings better, same for Bach's. A while ago I was going to offer JAE basses but I dragged my feet, Carlo and Bach filled the void and I commend them. Mass produced by Dean ? I doubt I would buy one. I have bought a number of Bach nonreverse Thunderbirds and I expect their version of the Fender bird is just as good as their NR Tbirds which are excellent. I have not played one of Carlos basses yet but as a fellow JAE nut and luthier I have seen his build process and am confident in recommending him. I plan on ordering one of Carlo's basses because frankly I don't have time to finish the one I started! I think small independent builders are the way to go for a JAE bird, Much like the originator Peter Cook.  http://www.deanguitars.com/entwistle.php
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Dean JAE Fenderbirds
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »
Kinda offtopic, but "EMG Lo Z Pickups" ??? Since when EMG makes Lo-Z pickups?
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »
Nice job on the Spider. I don't really care for the Fenderbird.

EMG has been making a line of Lo Z pups for a few years now.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
The Spyder's nice, but limited to 25... I'm curious about the circuits in those basses.

Can't imagine Dean can use the name and pic of John Entwistle, though...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
Can't imagine Dean can use the name and pic of John Entwistle, though...

Not without paying royalties to his estate.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:11:11 PM »
Not without paying royalties to his estate.
Which is exactly what they are doing.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
The "spider" looks interesting but I don't like the look of all those control covers on the back - I think it would have looked better without the "web"...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

FlatEric

• View Profile
    • Flat Eric's Collection
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 02:39:46 PM »
I posted this in response to a thread on TB Dean has entered the Fenderbird ring  :rolleyes: I like Carlo's (Cataldo Bass) offerings better, same for Bach's. A while ago I was going to offer JAE basses but I dragged my feet, Carlo and Bach filled the void and I commend them. Mass produced by Dean ? I doubt I would buy one. I have bought a number of Bach nonreverse Thunderbirds and I expect their version of the Fender bird is just as good as their NR Tbirds which are excellent. I have not played one of Carlos basses yet but as a fellow JAE nut and luthier I have seen his build process and am confident in recommending him. I plan on ordering one of Carlo's basses because frankly I don't have time to finish the one I started! I think small independent builders are the way to go for a JAE bird, Much like the originator Peter Cook.  http://www.deanguitars.com/entwistle.php

I think Peter would recognise the Cataldo, as a very close facsimilie and any others that close to the original.
BaCh is not that far off the mark but I'm not sure (myself) about the Dean.
Is it as pure, raw and inspirational as the originals that Peter made for John?

Discuss/Answers on a postcard!  :)

Cheers. :)
Now a little more wiser. . . . .

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
The Dean stuff still looks cheap and nasty.  I think I made the right choice by ordering my Fenderbird from Carlo.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:37 PM »
I think Peter would recognise the Cataldo, as a very close facsimilie and any others that close to the original.
BaCh is not that far off the mark but I'm not sure (myself) about the Dean.
Is it as pure, raw and inspirational as the originals that Peter made for John?

Discuss/Answers on a postcard!  :)

Cheers. :)
I do wonder Eric how Peter Cook feels about his creation and his views on us who are influenced by him and even copy him (myself included)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 04:32:41 PM »
I have no doubt that Carlos and BaCH versions of the Fenderbird will be of a higher overall build quality than the mass produced Deans but dont write them of so easily. I have 10 basses, 8 of which I play regularly. 2 of that 8 are mainstays that will get played at every gig. One of the remaining 2 is a cheap ($200) second hand Dean Edge. I want to hate it, I want to tell it its not good enough and leave it home yet there it is at every show. Yes I've upgraded pups, (LoZ EMG Humbuckers :P) and the electronics and bridge but the damn neck is as close to perfect for me as I've tried. The body (basswood) has fantastic balance and doesn't break my back and the all important sound is right up there with a punchy yet still woody tone and good enough to record with.

Any idea of prices?
Digresion our specialty!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
GREAT!  Now I can raise my prices. ;D

Kudos to Dean for getting the endorsement.  I'm sure the build quality will be there, Even an SX is very good these days. The P/G execution is a little crude, that's something that costs zero to do correctly.  Lots of knobs!   EMG Hz are the passive pups (and sound great IMO, I own 3 sets.)  I decided to go with Duncans because they are very close to the EMGs, are less expensive and Duncan actually answers their phones. Which model EMG do you have on your Edge, Bret?

About 80% of the guys buying JAEbirds want mods and are willing to pay for them.  I think I'll always be able to give good value for what is a semi custom bass.  Thanks in part to Scott and Mark putting in a good word over at TalkBass things are going very well.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 05:17:48 PM »

Kudos to them for doing something (for most folks) different, I like the Spyder and with only 25 to be made perhaps it'll be very nice. The F'Bird knockoff is not so pleasing to my eye tho, proportions seem bad and that headstock doesn't go with the body at all......... 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
The Exploiter thingie is kinda cool but I don't like the look of the Fenderbirds at all. All the ones we've built look 10 times better!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Which model EMG do you have on your Edge, Bret?

45HZ

Had to use the 45's because the original (very microphonic) Dean pups were 4.5". I had to get a mate to rout the cavity a bit wider to fit the EMG's as the Deans were quite narrow.

The other reason I used them is that a while back I picked up 3 sets of new EMG Soapbars very cheap. Unsold old stock from one of the bigger shops here. One pair are Active, the second are DC's and the last CS. I tried a few different configurations and in the end decided on a CS at the Bridge and a DC at the neck. CTS 500k pots, Switcraft jack and a Gotoh 201 Bridge. The bridge that was on it was less than acceptable.

Digresion our specialty!