Author Topic: Got a Hofner Club coming in  (Read 9400 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Got a Hofner Club coming in
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
Still waiting for the Club.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »
That's bad, especially cos we're talking 'bout it all the time here:(

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »
Thanks to both Thornton and Nate for your responses. And I look forward to your continued input!

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »
I don't think Nate and I will be going anywhere. We're happy to share our knowledge with everyone. I will tell you guys that Nate is a expert on Hofner guitars. Especially, big body jazz Hofner's. But his knowledge of German made guitars is extensive and he's a great resource for information.

You were asking about the differences between the Chinese made Icon Series and the Contemporary Series compared to German made models.

These are my opinions, so take them for what you will.

Icon B-Bass, 100% made in China available in a horrible 3-tone sunburst and a nice transparent black finish. This is a instrument that's designed to appeal to the student and the first time bass buyer. Comes standard with a set of not so good Chinese made roundwound strings. It compares to the other Chinese made violin basses in the market like Rogue, Johnson, Turser, ect.
The pickups are a poor copy of the staple pickup with large surrounds like those found on Hofners made after 1965. The pickguard is made from a very bright white plastic material and the control panel plate is also made from the same material. The control panel switches are black and not really very attractive IMO.
These are nice and sound very similar to their German counterpart. The neck has dot position markers located on the side for reference by the player something the German made Hofner's don't have. The Contemporary Series basses also has these reference markers on the neck.

Contemporary Series Bass, are 90% made in China. They're available in a beautiful brownburst or solid black finish. These are fitted with German made type 511 "Staple" pickups with small surrounds. These are the pickups installed in German made basses. Everything else is Chinese made. I must say that the quality of the reproduction components used on the Contemporary Series (CT) basses are excellent. The body shape of the CT HCT500/1 is also identical in shape to that of the German made 500/1v62 and v63 basses. The neck is 3 piece and identical in shape to a 500/1v63, thin and fast. Of course, as mentioned before the CT has a center block mounted in the body. It runs the length of the body between the top and the back of the bass. The purpose is to add sustain and give it more of a modern sound like that of a solid body instrument. Needless to say, the CT doesn't sound like it's German made 500/1v63 counterpart. These also leave the factory with those same cheap Chinese made roundwound strings found on the Icon-B-Bass.  I think the CT bass would appeal to anyone wanting a Hofner violin bass but don't want to or can't afford a German made 500/1, especially at the price point these are selling for. The quality of the build, components and finish are excellent and I think will impress anyone picking one up to play it.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »
That's bad, especially cos we're talking 'bout it all the time here:(

Thanks for all of the info.  I got all these different Hofners figured out at last.   Sure hope the Club comes in soon.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »
Haven't posted to this thread in a long time, but I've had my Club for a couple years now and love playing it.  I love the thumpy sound of the stock strings, but the sound is a bit undefined and the rest of my band tends to drown me out. 

So, just for kicks, I removed the stock strings and put DA half-rounds on (my new favorite strings) and it sounds good!  This probbaly Hofner sacrilege, but all's fair in rock and roll.  The half rounds are considered a mellow string still but noticeably brighter than flats.  The nice thing about them is they are not brash like regular rounds and easy on your fingers.  The real test will come at practice next week.  So, far, they sound great and just enough more distinct to make rocking with the band more effective. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2013, 09:51:24 AM »
I don't think it's sacrilege at all. Try it and see if it works in the band.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
Makes sense to me.  I put Labella flats on my Gretsch 5123 and got lost in the mix the same way.  Put the original rounds back on and I can hear myself better.  Old rounds aren't bad.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
I just bought Dadarrio Half rounds for both my basses...hope I like 'em...

I had GHS flats on both, and while I liked the sound with fingers and with pick, slap was out of the question.  Now slap is no longer a big part of my life, but every now and again, I like it.  I don't want to do without the technique...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 04:59:37 AM »
I played Half Rounds for years before I switched to Chrome Flats about 10 years ago. I went to Half Rounds after destroying my frets with Rotos. They provided good definition and much less zing than rounds. A good solution to land  between rounds and flats. That being said, I don't see myself giving up flats anytime soon ,but if I did, it would be back to Half Rounds. Rounds are pretty much out of the picture for me and I don't see myself going back to them at all .
Rick

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 03:42:47 AM »
Played the Club all weekend with the half rounds and it sounds great.  I really do prefer the increased mids and highs of these strings.  I love the sound of a hollow body with flats, but in the average rock band, you just get lost in a sea of thump.  A little definition goes a long way.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
Everything has its place and time. Flats on a Hoffie can do well for recording, or at a gig for certain kinds of music at moderate volume.

I've never had a problem with rounds and fret wear, however that's with nickel rounds. I have never used Rotos or any other stainless rounds. I've seen what they can do to frets. Not my sound anyway.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
Gonna try the Club at practice Thursday night with the Mesa Prodigy amp.   ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
 I haven't played my '65-'66 live in a while. What I loved about it is you can get this beautiful blooming sustain out of it buy controlling the feedback. At the moment have serious GAS for a Cavern  500/1 bass.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 08:28:16 AM »
Yeah, at volume, the bass really sounds great and the sustain/near feedback is really fun to play with.  I'm really looking forward to practice with it.