Author Topic: Reissue basses  (Read 10890 times)

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
Re: Reissue basses
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 09:30:13 AM »
Is Bach going to sell this on the website or was done just for you?
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
Ok, I'm so jealous right now.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »
I'm much more a fan of that Bach EB-2 than I am of their T-birds!  Gorgeous!!!!!!

But don't tell Mark.  It's just my own taste.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:46 AM »
Is Bach going to sell this on the website or was done just for you?

Rob posted elsewhere that it was an unfinished one-off that he took off Roman's hands at a budget price...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »
That is correct. A little under three years ago now I started this project with BaCH. They already build and ES335 copy. And the EB2/Rivoli bdy is exactley the same. So I figured it wouldn't be too hard for them to fit a short scale neck on such a body. The pickups shouldn;t be a problem either.
The bridge and choke were a little bit more difficult. But I suggested they should use a three point bridge. Just liek the Rivoli reissue for  the nineties.

Then after a few months they sent me pics of this prototype without a bridge. When they were ready to install it they noticed they had made a mistake. The fitted a long scale neck.

That's where they left it. Despite several attempts from me to revive the project.

About a month ago I asked them if they still had this rejected prototype. They still had it.
I bought it. And eventually I put the Duesenberg bridge on.
I had to grind down the cover of the mudbucker. I had to file the string slots in the top nut.

I am going to ask BaCH again to revive this project. They really should. Maybe they should even make two versions: a short scale and a long scale. I'm sure there is a market for these.
And I'm still fine tuning the pickups.
I took it to rehearsal and the bass sound very good solo. My drummer was very enthousiastic.
But in the band the E string tends to distort around the fifth position (A).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 10:53:02 PM by Basvarken »

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2010, 12:29:28 AM »
But in the band the E string tends to distort around the fifth position (A).

From the pics I'd say the PUP is too close to the strings. Looks like the cover is mounted directly on the top where with the Rivoli the whole of the PUP, including the cover, sinks into the cavity. Check out the relative distance from the top of the PUP to the fretboard om this pic and you'll see what I mean ......

Experience is the ultimate teacher

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2010, 01:05:34 AM »
Yeah that's what I figured Martin. It's too close to the strings. I already grinded down some of the cover to make it fit on the contoured body , but I'm going to grind it down some more, to lower the pickup somewhat.

Thanx!