Author Topic: Teye  (Read 3455 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Teye
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:47 AM »
What about Teye basses? A Dutch guy, who lives and builds in the US. I believe he's a US citizen nowadays. Of course his instruments are inspired by Zemaitis.

http://teye-guitars.com/bass/

nofi

• View Profile
Re: Teye
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:04:36 AM »
except for the pick ups 'his' design goes beyond merely inspirational. it's pretty cloney in my opinion.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
Pretty awesome looking. I'm a sucker for those Zemaitis LP style basses. Pickups are ugly as hell, and I wonder how the strings manage to vibrate with all that magnetic pull?  ;D Someone should introduce this guy to Thunderbuckers...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 08:47:16 AM »
We all think alike.  The pickups detract from the look.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
interesting.  no prices
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:02:11 AM »
interesting.  no prices

Look under ordering and the prices are there.  You might want to sit down first.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »

I don't understand how someone could put all that work into the top of an instument ( It's pretty but not my cup of tea) and then put a PLASTIC PICKUP  :-X in it!

Someone needs to go to an Industrial Design School.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »
Look under ordering and the prices are there.  You might want to sit down first.

WOW!  Not even the original Zemaitis are that expensive. And it took Tony Zemaitis a few decades to build his rep and for prices to climb.  Somebody over the pond must be living in Amsterdam and spending way too much time in the coffee houses.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »
Somebody over the pond must be living in Amsterdam and spending way too much time in the coffee houses.

Or in the "recreational" houses.... :o
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
I never understood the appeal at all. That said, a real Zemaitis now goes for a lot more than these. Sure, these are expensive and derivative, but they seem to be hand-detailed. The current guitars put out under the Zemaitis name aren't the real thing either.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
He makes plenty of bogus sounding claims:  "Pore filling kills the vibration of the wood - I use a special french polish technique taught to me by an ancient race of alien ninja violin builders" :P  Or: "I acoustically tune my guitar bodies" and lets not forget " the special alloy formula of my aluminum top plates adds to the resonance of my guitars"  I've paraphrased here but let's just say that he graduated with honors for Gene Simmons school of self promotion. ;D

While his stuff may be well made I somehow doubt they live up to the all of the hype he's pumping out.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:45:17 AM »
I heard a couple of guitars and they sound really great. With a five way switch and a mood control you can get a lot of great sounds out of it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:37:03 AM »
He makes plenty of bogus sounding claims:  "Pore filling kills the vibration of the wood - I use a special french polish technique taught to me by an ancient race of alien ninja violin builders" :P  Or: "I acoustically tune my guitar bodies" and lets not forget " the special alloy formula of my aluminum top plates adds to the resonance of my guitars"  I've paraphrased here but let's just say that he graduated with honors for Gene Simmons school of self promotion. ;D

While his stuff may be well made I somehow doubt they live up to the all of the hype he's pumping out.

I didn't read far enough to get to his claims, but if he's saying anything like that, it's bullshit, not legitimate self-promotion. If I were interested otherwise, that would put me off completely.

Honest self-promotion is okay. Does Gene make any claims like this? Sure, he's obnoxious, but I haven't seen him trying to sell snake oil.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 03:37:42 PM »
I didn't read far enough to get to his claims, but if he's saying anything like that, it's bullshit, not legitimate self-promotion. If I were interested otherwise, that would put me off completely.

Honest self-promotion is okay. Does Gene make any claims like this? Sure, he's obnoxious, but I haven't seen him trying to sell snake oil.

Point taken and my apologies to Gene ;D

What got me was that he went on at great length about acoustic tuning, pore fillers killing tone and the like but he glues, and screws, all kinds of junk to the wood ???  Almost like a guitar version of the Bedazzler :rolleyes:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedazzler

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »

:toast: :thumbsup: