Author Topic: Talk me out of this (fake EB2)  (Read 2034 times)

daan

• View Profile
Talk me out of this (fake EB2)
« on: June 16, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
Hey guys, I lurk here a lot but don't post real often. Here goes:
I just found this bass on CL  http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/2443290310.html (ad text in case the ad goes away)
"Bruno Conqueror hollowbody bass guitar, made in Japan in the mid-60's. This bass is in very good condition and plays great. The neck is straight and has an adjustable truss rod, the rosewood fretboard has been freshly oiled and looks great, the pots are clean, and the enclosed gear tuners work fine. Bound top and neck. About the only indication of its age is the crazed finish, mainly on the back that runs with the grain and is pretty common on hollowbodies of that era. You don't see many old hollowbody basses, especially as nice as this one."
pics:

Now I've always, always wanted a Gib. EB2 (the ES-355 shape one, at least) but will never be able to afford a real one. THat and my mediocre skills don't really warrant a $$$$$ bass anyway, but that's another story... I have a Hofner that sorta looks like this one so I dig the semi-hollow basses. You guys around here don't seem to be afraid of Gibson basses, or weird Japanese things either so I was wondering if any of you have any experience with "Bruno" or other Japanese copies. If this thing is a total dog then I won't feel so bad about passing on it, but if it's the "75% as good for 10% of the cost" kind of bass, then I'll definitely try to snap it up. Now, how to figure out how to sneak it into the house past the spouse...
Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah if it is worth it, how hard is it (or even worth the effort) to put a 3-pointer on instead of the 2?
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

johnk

• View Profile
    • JohnK Custom Basses
Re: Talk me out of this (fake EB2)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
well, it's a bolt-on neck, so it's not going to really sound or feel like the real thing. i seriously doubt that the mudbucker sound like the gibson's, but that could also be a good thing, as the gibson's has a TON of low end, but that's about all.

that said, i do love my '68 EB2 and '66 EB2D.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:53:25 AM »
I can't claim to know the subtleties of bolt-on vs. set neck, and I am persuaded that my ear doesn't discern such things well.

But if the pickup is the right vintage and the action is nice, that's probably as cheap as you will pick up an EB-clone. I'd want to see how bad the finish is on the back, too.

Overall I like it!  I'd like it even better at under $300, but if you have the urge, I'd at least go and look at it.

As usual, you get no support whatsoever in getting talked OUT of anything.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:59 AM »
Hard to tell without inspecting it and playing it. Brunos were imported by C. Bruno & Co. which later became part of Kaman. They imported some good ones and some very cheap ones.  $375 seems high to me for any 60s Japanese bass though.

As johnk said, it won't sound like an EB-2. That doesn't mean it will sound bad. It may fit your needs, or not. I wouldn't buy it without playing it amplified and making sure it can be set up to your liking.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:19:36 AM »
  These  can be fun but don't expect Gibson like playability or quality. A while back I picked up a Aria EB3 clone. It's tone was pretty convincing, played so so even after a through set up. Good for back up or fun but I wouldn't want it as my main bass. I would not buy it for a kid starting out MUCH better choices for as little as $150. I'd pay 200-275 no more.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
So if the construction is anything like a "real" one (bolt-on neck excepted...) how hard would it be to put some kind of intonatable bridge on this thing? I had a fake Gretsch COuntry Gentleman for years and years that was apparently made by the same guys, and once I got a different bridge on that thing, it played just fine.
And to everybody posting pix of your real EB's, thanks, guys, you aren't helping here! :mrgreen:
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:41 PM »
The hard part would be finding one that fits. The Schaller 460 is long discontinued and even if you find one it may not fit this bass. Even if the current Hipshot Supertone fits the post spacing, it's meant for a flat top.