Author Topic: Speaker jacks  (Read 2682 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Speaker jacks
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:17 PM »
I have had 1/4" plugs blown right out of the jack in the speaker cab from the sound pressure waves.   I'm sure others have also.  Not the best thing for a tube amp.  Don't have much experience with Speakons so nothing to add there.

Dang!  I take it those weren't ported cabs.  They also had a lot of speaker excursion going on.

Never had that happen, personally.  Impressive.  Probably very loud.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:24:45 PM »
I've never had that happen either. Can't imagine it happening with a ported cab.

OTOH there's nothing that hard about using a Speakon connector.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 09:52:55 AM »
Dang!  I take it those weren't ported cabs.  They also had a lot of speaker excursion going on.

Never had that happen, personally.  Impressive.  Probably very loud.

No, not a ported cab.  Probably only happens with sealed cabs.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »
I've never had that happen either. Can't imagine it happening with a ported cab.

OTOH there's nothing that hard about using a Speakon connector.

They're just annoying to wire up and cost a bit much.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 06:06:17 PM »
  I hate speakons. Over engineered  nuisance ! My Orange TB500 uses them, I have adaptors yo run my 1/4" outfitted c as b.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
    I can't tell you how many times I have had road  crew,sound men or whoever mucking around behind my rig and tip my cables out. Usually easily repaired with a soldering iron. Can't do that with Speakons.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 04:59:28 AM »
I have had 1/4" plugs blown right out of the jack in the speaker cab from the sound pressure waves.   I'm sure others have also.  Not the best thing for a tube amp.  Don't have much experience with Speakons so nothing to add there.

I'm not even sure how that's possible unless its a shallow mount (standard bushing jack, vs long so as to be mounted in the cab wood directly) in one of them press fit jack plates (or maybe old, decaying, and low quality wood; I've seen cheap sealed 1x15s made out of such flimsy particle board).  Jack plates are horrible for a million reasons.  Without a jack plate, just put a larger washer under the nut on the inside and problem solved.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 03:15:17 AM »
    I can't tell you how many times I have had road  crew,sound men or whoever mucking around behind my rig and tip my cables out. Usually easily repaired with a soldering iron. Can't do that with Speakons.

The Speakons that I have can be connected using just a small screw driver. I find that a lot easier to fix when you're on the road. I don't always have a soldering iron at hand.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
The Speakons that I have can be connected using just a small screw driver. I find that a lot easier to fix when you're on the road. I don't always have a soldering iron at hand.

+1

Easiest connection in the world to wire up and make you own cables.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
Assuming that you trust screw terminals on things that move and get yanked/generally abused (I don't) vs static things like the back of patchbays and internals of rack gear (e.g. euroblock).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)