Author Topic: Chip off the old block !  (Read 4048 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Chip off the old block !
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »
Just noticed there's another bassist sitting that one out...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2009, 05:04:51 PM »
 That's Frankie, he plays upright. They switch off on songs. He has some fancy new fangled stick upright. Char plays upright in orcestra. I am thinking of getting her this for Xmas http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palatino-VE550-Electric-Upright-Bass?sku=512015
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 05:07:13 PM »
She defiles your household with a Fender?

Great pics.
eh why not ? She loves my jazz bass and that's what she wanted, we went to the HOG to get a MIM Jazz but she went for the Squier, I could not talk her out of it. Oh well nice bass for the money and she LOVES it. Sure better than what I started out on.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 05:10:49 PM »
Looks interesting (have you played "upright" much, or is it just Char's forte?) ... There's a few upright players here... any advice available...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 05:25:09 PM »
Oh I played upright in college just to say I tried it, not my thing really but my advice is to try it ! Why not ? It led to me playing (or trying to play) fretless electric.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »
That's what set me off... I was ten and had to stand on a stool to reach the neck properly... just didn't follow it through till I went electric at 16...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 07:39:55 PM »
Scott, those are GREAT pics. I can see the smile on your face from here. I'm glad she's enjoying it, too. I hope my boys will follow suit in a few years. They each claimed a Bach bird when they showed up, so I'm thinking they probably will.  ;)

I played upright for a semester in ninth grade. I liked it but didn't pursue it in high school (I thought I'd be the next Gene Simmons so I figured I didn't need to). I got highjacked to play a few songs for a church thing about ten years ago on a borrowed upright. I felt totally lost but sort of pulled it off. I've always wanted to pick it back up again and that made it even worse. One of these days...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »
For me nothing does it like a fretted bass (read Thunderbird) through a cranked tube amp. I love playing loud rock and roll. Having said that I have a soft spot for Jim Croce and Cat Stevens. I enjoy exploring other instruments even though they may not be my forte. I play a little guitar, mandolin and piano not proficient but enough to amuse at a party. I really love the mandolin.................................. I figure when they sit me in a corner at the home I can sit and pluck to my hearts content seeing as lugging Hiwatts will be a thing of the past. Oh wait I ain't doing the nursing home thing.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
Another 20 years and you can lug the Hiwatts to the nursing home to play for partially deaf boomers.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 05:53:56 AM »
Another 20 years and you can lug the Hiwatts to the nursing home to play for partially deaf boomers.

Whoever gets there first , save me a seat close to the biggest speakers ;D
Rick

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 07:52:14 AM »
We'd have to rig up the zimmer-frame to hold us up and maybe some of those helium baloons to ease the "divers"...

:o A WORD OF WARNING...  :o DO NOT P*SS OFF THE YOUNGER MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY...  :o THEY WILL CHOOSE YOUR CARE-HOME...  :o

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 05:51:54 AM »
We'd have to rig up the zimmer-frame to hold us up and maybe some of those helium baloons to ease the "divers"...

:o A WORD OF WARNING...  :o DO NOT P*SS OFF THE YOUNGER MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY...  :o THEY WILL CHOOSE YOUR CARE-HOME...  :o

Thanks for the warning..........now I can live out the rest of my life in absolute terror :o :o :o :o ;D
Rick