Author Topic: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?  (Read 15012 times)

Saf

• View Profile
Re: Which one of your basses has the most Mojo and why?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:33 PM »
I shall take a picture of my hollowbodied basses and put them up here. They got tons of mojo

edit: I allready made an new topic over hollow bodied bassguitars, but I shall post them here as well.

I've seen other people post pics of theur mojo guitars, so here's mine.

It's an cheap chinese made mayhill les paul look a like that I bought for 30 euro's. It now has an GFs P90 in de neck and an old Humbuckers from a 80's washburn falcon in the bridge. The tailpiece is from an old egmond akcoustic guitar. It's sounds just as awfull as it looks, but I like it. I did a relicjob on it. But I went to far with some stressmarks. De headstock is partially burnt away. I really like this guitar because I can do whatever feels right at the moment and don't feel any regrets afterwards
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:10:44 PM by Saf »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »
My Peter Cook narrowly tops my RD, purely because I've had her longer (over 30 years now) and she's suffered more abuse than any of my other instruments, covered in knocks, dents, scratches, cracks, bits missing, but still my opening instrument...

My RD is having her own party at present but my other bass, a Hohner Jack, has just got such playability, and really suprised me in her value for money stakes, bought as a back-up after the RD "died" - easily as good a sound as my other too, and can, quite literally, go through walls... nicknamed her "the pin-cushion" for no reason I can think of at present...

Gonna sneak my SG in for an honourable mention in the above and beyond the call of duty award for the abuse she has received - vicious sound...

Never did get round to that refin...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:46:29 PM by Ken S »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2009, 11:29:26 PM »

Please tell me those are not stuck into that poor bass..................

Uwe! my eyes! oh please, make him stop!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2009, 11:46:19 PM »
 :)

Boys, he's here to learn. We have to help Ken refinishing his CookBird in a normal colour and so. Let;s encourage him to do good things now! ;D

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 04:10:49 AM »

I've seen other people post pics of theur mojo guitars, so here's mine.

Saf I love your bass collection but that guitar... Man even JJ Cale would be proud of that  8)
Digresion our specialty!

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
@ Ken, On what amp are you playing? The one in your background on the petercookbird picture?

@Freuds_Cat - my guitar.... I'm not so fond of les pauls and this one hell of an el cheapo 80's plywood thing. It couldn't get any worse. It sounds somewhat decent now. I also have an heavely abused strat.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2009, 09:52:11 AM »
Given the large soft spot that I and Dr. Bassman have for hollow-body basses, I think this one generates as much envy on my part as any bass in this thread.  And that's not to say there aren't many wonderful, interesting basses.  I console myself with thoughts of my Univox hollow-body and plans to resurrect the tobacco-brown Lyle HB (both shown on page 3 of this thread).

Thanks man, I don't gig it much anymore just 'cause I love it so much and don't want anything to happen to it, the neck is even still in one piece, a rarity for these basses. It still makes an appearance at home tho', here's my son Keith checking it out.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
your son is wronghanded?

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2009, 03:16:14 PM »
Nah~ He's a lefty!  8)

Chip off the ol' block.

I have a lefty daughter who plays bass & guitar too!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2009, 05:00:39 PM »
Saf... that's my "DR103-SWITCH", which created a little bit of excitment over on the Vintage Amps site (which is where Chris lassooed me and brought me over here)... Built by Mr Reeve's his-self, back in 1970, although I did not know that until this year, reputedly belonged to a guitarist in Savoy Brown until around 1972 (Lonesome Dave of Foghat...? Kim Simmonds used to use Marshalls, but no confirmation) I have owned her for 30 years. I also have a project rebuild 1968 Marshall 50W which looks like what is called a "Smallbox"... both amps need some work; that cab is what is left of a 1969 Marshall 412. you'll find both of them detailed for the "VALVE-HEADS" under the same name as the amp - the excitement was that she is a new name that no-one had heard of before re HIWATT's - most of the type were called DR103S or DR103SAP, mines called a "SWITCH"... A wonderful sound and good for both bass and guitar...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2009, 07:26:20 AM »
My beloved 1989 Ric 4003S. Heavily modified to my specs, and played HARD at several shows a month.  ;D

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2009, 07:39:22 AM »
Skate Rat - Interesting that you have Guild pups on that Ripper. I played my friends Ripper a couple of years ago and it reminded me a lot of a long scale version of my '73 Guild JSII.

I dig my LPB-1.  Acoustically, the combination of mahogany body, mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard is just magic.  Weighs a freakin' ton though.

That's so weird when I hear people say that. My LPB-1 is my lightest long scale bass!