Author Topic: show your multiple bass pictures!  (Read 79798 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: show your multiple bass pictures!
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »

It's all about Subaru love  ;D

I really need to shoot them again this coming Spring, there's been some changes since this shot -
No more BaCHs and the Burny is missing.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 04:53:59 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
i wanna see a guy post a pic of one or two basses. that would be me but i refuse to post pictures on the interwebs. i would rather collect records. ;D

Post a pic of all your records, then!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
i wanna see a guy post a pic of one or two basses. that would be me but i refuse to post pictures on the interwebs. i would rather collect records. ;D

I'm down to 2.  I'll try and post a pic later on.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2012, 10:52:09 AM »
I like it when someone posts a photo of 10 basses with the comment "here are some of them". It makes me feel better about having as many as I do. :)

+1!

Here are my 3 Rics.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
records are boring to stare at. maybe a pic of my dogs one day. but i doubt it.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
records are boring to stare at. maybe a pic of my dogs one day. but i doubt it.

There is a "cats and their basses" thread though all pets are welcome!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »

Wow, a quad bass! Cool stuff. What did they actually call those little LP Jr. style basses? I mean the regular 4 string ones.

Yeah...Here is the details for any Hamer fans:

They made less than 10 of those 12-knob Quads and mine is one of, I believe, the only two remaining with the original wiring still intact...and maybe the only one that also has the required Quad breakout box interface. I think they only did two in Sunburst. Got it from the original owner who produced Eric Johnson's early stuff and owns the largest recording studio down in TX.

Those 4 string LP Jr-bodied Hamers are B4S models -- hard to find the 4-string ones. That one and the 8-string B8S version are both in the SN#100-200 range...same with the Quadbass. The Standard (Explorer) is in the SN#050 range and is the one I got from Herman Brood's bassist, Freddie Cavalli, teh original owner.

But probably even rarer is the TLE (Tele) Bass...never a catalog model and custom made for the top Hamer bass salesmen in the mid-80s. Also the one on the far left is listed as a "Three-Coil Bass" and was never a catalog model. Sort of a prototype based on the Hamer 6-string model actually called a Prototype. The guitar had a triple-coil humbucker at the bridge, si I'm guessing that's why the bass is called a "Three-Coil" in th factory logs, even though it doesn't have a three-coil PUP in it. Both of those basses have very Gibson-ish TBird long-scale necks on them.

The blue sparkle 90s Cruisebass is actually one of the few custom-made for Jeff Ament with his larger "Bigfoot" headstock design.

The TBird is the best of the half-dozen Hamer ones I've had and was made for the guy in Molly Hatchet and later owned by the guy in L.A. Guns. Great bass with a thinner neck profile than most of them and an ebony 'board...finish is also bursted on the back and neck.

The flying V 8-string is the only one ever made and sort of based on the very first Hamer ever made...which actually WAS A FLYING V 4-string BASS!!  Yeah, Hamer started with a BASS built for Jol Dantzig -- which he still owns!!

The Monaco 12-string Bass on the right is one of only two ever made (the other was semi-gloss black) and custom-made for Mesa Boogie in Hollywood, CA. Crazy figured top on it and creme binding. I've owned maybe 25 Hamer 12-strings and this is the best playing long-scale one of the bunch and 3 or 4 pounds lighter than the B12A ones because it is chambered. They also set it up with the octaves close together, so it plays more like an 8-string than a 12.

I own a lot of Hamers...VERY under-rated basses and every bit as good (many say better) than any bass Gibson has churned out, even in its Custom Shop.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:54:00 PM by mc2NY »

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
Very cool! I enjoyed reading your history of those basses!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
I got to play the very first Quad bass at NAMM in 1979(?).  Very cool bass, especially with headphones.  All you need now is one of the violin basses Hamer made.  Kip Winger used one.

As promised, here's the remains of what I once had.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
Wish I had one of the ones on the right.  My understanding was that there are only about a dozen.  Someone on TB owns a pair of them, as I recall.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »
Post a pic of all your records, then!

8)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »

8)

Nice!  I just sold off the last of my 30 year collection in the past year.  I loved them all, had some real gems (bootlegs, promos, rare), but I haven't played them for over 20 years, so I got rid of them.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
I did the same thing around 1989.  Sold everything off, and I really do miss some of the ones I got rid of.  This collection is one I started back up around 1998. 

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2012, 07:37:59 AM »
I still have my vinyl - not that I prefer it to CDs, because I don't - but I haven't done anything with it.

What I need to get rid of and haven't is a small collection of Pentax ME-series cameras and lenses.  Loved those film cameras but have converted to digital and don't see myself going beck.

Even my dad's 1950's Leica M3 is worth less than it used to be.  I should sell it too, but for sentimental reasons I may not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54:30 AM »
Wish I had one of the ones on the right.  My understanding was that there are only about a dozen.  Someone on TB owns a pair of them, as I recall.

I remember reading about those, possibly in Vintage Guitar mag. IIRC they were said to be long scale, and the bridge location in that pic seems to confirm it.