Main Forums > The Bass Zone

It's a bass, it's a guitar...

(1/2) > >>

OldManC:

This guy has some great videos but most of them are guitar-centric, so I've never posted them here. This one kind of bridges the gap, so what the heck.

And I don't know what he does for a living, but his amp collection is insane.

Again, this one is guitar, but with all the talk we do about wood and tone, I thought it fitting (though not nearly as funny as Dave's clip).

Granny Gremlin:
Riff 3 makes it obvious.  The Maho has that low note sounding fuller.

I dunno why most folks always do such shootouts with distorted full chords.  Try some clean arpeggios and then differences are easier to spot (especially when it's a youtube vid  - audio quality isn't that great- and the audience is listening on crappy laptop/comp speakers or earbuds).

Dave W:
A guitar with the scale length of a short scale bass doesn't sound like it should to my ears.

I don't need convincing that different woods sound different, but his video isn't likely to convince skeptics. Too many other variables, and as Jake said, you need clean tones.

Basvarken:
I like the experiments. Too bad the wood comparison doesn't use the same size slab for all three. That does matter.

uwe:
I was gonna say: Finally a geetar with a decent scale length, enough room between the frets and enough string tension so it doesn't sound out of tune when you play it as a hamfisted bassist.  :mrgreen:

I think the wood tone test is clear enough, maho sounds warmest and most pleasant, but I understand why some guitarists prefer the snap of the maple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version