Author Topic: I bought a Spector  (Read 2240 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
I bought a Spector
« on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
Going to the dark side I guess.  :vader: After several years of "de-activating" all but my fretless (which is pretty much what led me to the old Pit in the first place), I'm feeling the need for that sound again. Say what you will, but I dig it. I'm playing with a band that does mostly corporate/private event stuff, and covers a wide range of styles. My Geddy Lee Jazz through Sadowsky pre and Punch Factory compressor is doing a fine job, but even this one has a bit of "honk" to it when I try certain things. I just happened to stumble across a pawn shop special on Craigslist last week. A late 80s, Kramer era Korean made NS-2A. After several hours cleaning and tweaking, it's rockin! A great first step. I paid next to nothing, so I think I'll give this one to my daughter. I'm working a deal on another very cool one now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLLIfTuc5X4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLF1DD75E9F8A3B41D

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: I bought a Spector
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
I used to own a trans-blue 80's Kramer/Spector with EMG's. I liked the bass a lot, but like so many others I have owned it was sold to buy something else. I still like the feel of Spectors today, I just don't own one.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »
I have a  very similar bass.  never use it  for some reason unknown....  IIRC the pups are nothing special. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
A new Warwick, no?  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
A new Warwick, no?  ;D

NOOO!!! Those necks are bizarre.

Pups on the 2A are passives of unknown origin. I suspect they're "Select by EMG" with the Spector name on them. Gotta say though, they're not terrible by any means. And the HAZ pre-amp clone is nice. All 4 knobs (vol/vol/bass/treble) can make drastic changes to the tone.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:00:10 PM »
The passive Kramer Korean Spector pickups actually are not EMG Selects, and do a very good job of mimicing their active bretheren's tone.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
There's a nice white one on the 'bay I might grab if the price is right. There's another teal, and a cherry sunburst too. Damn good value for the money. A little work on the frets, and maybe the nut, and you're rockin. The whole ergonomics thing is no joke with these basses. Light weight and beautifully balanced. Thank you Ned and Stuart!

And in case anyone is interested, the neck width is within 1/32'' of my Rickenbacker from the nut to the 20th fret.