Author Topic: So, with which bass do you practice?  (Read 9721 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: So, with which bass do you practice?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
On topic though, that's beautiful. I see the T-bird logo is red, white and blue but did the '76s differ in any other way from regular T-birds or was that standard?

70's pups are of a different design than 60's, some here don't care for them but I've always really liked them alot. If I recall early 60's 'Birds are not 9 ply either, but I could be wrong on that. The logo on the 'Bird was done at least thru 1977, I own an example produced at Kalamzoo that is date stamped and has the Gibson logo straight on the TRC as opposed to another version that I belive was made in Nashville also a 77 that had a decal and the angled logo as on Joe's.
The pickgard was changed later with the "76" being taken out, and production stopped in '79.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
Must not edit Ji, er Jazz...

To quote Douglas Neidermeyer from Animal House, "...acts of perversion SO profound and disgusting that decorum prohibits listing them here."

Decorum above all.  Yazzir.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2009, 04:46:26 AM »
70's pups are of a different design than 60's, some here don't care for them but I've always really liked them alot. If I recall early 60's 'Birds are not 9 ply either, but I could be wrong on that. The logo on the 'Bird was done at least thru 1977, I own an example produced at Kalamzoo that is date stamped and has the Gibson logo straight on the TRC as opposed to another version that I belive was made in Nashville also a 77 that had a decal and the angled logo as on Joe's.
The pickgard was changed later with the "76" being taken out, and production stopped in '79.

Interesting. I suppose factory documentation and records are hard to come by for these type changes? Probably on the street and forums such as these is where the wealth of knowledge is but it would be really cool to put together detailed timelines for such changes, if only for the hell of it. But heck, you guys probably already know most of this stuff!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2009, 08:15:31 AM »
FWIW, the original reverse body 'Birds are 9-ply.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2009, 11:02:03 AM »
Interesting. I suppose factory documentation and records are hard to come by for these type changes? Probably on the street and forums such as these is where the wealth of knowledge is but it would be really cool to put together detailed timelines for such changes, if only for the hell of it. But heck, you guys probably already know most of this stuff!

Denis, have you seen the Gibson bass site here-  http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/Thunderbird.php ?  This is really *the* site for that type of timeline info, and it features of photos documenting the different variations, and a forum for detailed discussion of said minutiae.  I'd trust people's real world experiences over any of their factory literature  :)  Seems there are always lots of anomalies and exceptions to the "rules"
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:33:32 AM by chromium »

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »
I pick up whatever is in front of me at home, the one's I play at gigs ironically stay in the cases afterward many times and I've been favoring the fretless P bass lately for gigs but have two Rics in stands, one in my living room and one in my bedroom. So I guess whatever is there, if the P bass is out with others though I'll usually pick that up first. The T-bird has been buried in it's case for a few months gotta drag that one out too.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 02:42:40 PM »
I equally use my Epi and my Bachbird, I rarely use my flatwound-stringed pee. Sometimes I play the guitar too!   ;D
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 03:24:38 PM »
its mostly my eb2 because its on the stand in my music room.every time i play it i think i must use this in the band too and i must get around to restringing this....
Louder bass!.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 02:12:42 AM »
51 RI P, the Yellow Peril (ok, the Butterscotch Blonde Peril  ???). Or the standard P. Both of those go to gigs and one or the other will do the work, depending how I feel.

I used to practice with the Rebop 5 to try to make the conversion to 5-string. I can do it in practice, but in a gig it all comes apart and I end up on the wrong string. So I'm giving up that battle.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 07:31:54 AM »
FWIW, the original reverse body 'Birds are 9-ply.

Not in the first year they weren't. The first Birds in 1963 had massive maho necks. Earliest nine-ply neck Bird I've seen was 64.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 08:34:18 AM »
Oops, sorry about that. The ones I've seen were 9-ply.

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2009, 08:00:29 AM »
Mostly I play the precision, but lately the DarkstarP got a lot of attention.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
The newest in the collection is favorite at this point.

Guttlin ThinKing bass awkward.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2009, 05:45:58 AM »
oh SAF, you know since I'm a lefty, I would love to be your neighbor right now :):)
that thing is so oddly shaped at first I say "MAN, is that ugly", but it is so unique the "ugly" turns to awesome within 13 miliseconds.

and since this thread is "what bass do you practice with", usually one of these lately -
Charvel-pCharvel-p/j ( the maple neck was added to the p/j from another parts bass )

for shows I use one of my Tbirds, and the p/j as a standby.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2009, 10:43:09 AM »
SAF that bass looks sweet - so weird its endearing!  Like the surf colors too.

Ami I noticed in that Kansas clip that you play one of the black ones strung as right-handed, but in the GnR clip the bass is strung left-handed?  If that is the case - WTF?  ;D  You're blowing my mind man!  I'm a lefty that plays righty basses strung righty.  God forbid that should ever get flipped around!  ;D  I'm not that coordinated!  Great playing too, btw