Author Topic: Epi Pro Bird5 er on Ebay  (Read 14898 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Epi Pro Bird5 er on Ebay
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 08:36:41 AM »

As for the Epi, the more I think about the 5er the less likely I am to get one, Dave (PWV) was kind enough to let me play his Gibson Studio 5er last night. Lets just say it's got a sweet neck and definately no low B output issues.
And I see a nice cherry one on ebay, so no Epi for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-Studio-5-String-Electric-Bass-NR_W0QQitemZ220457411397QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3354492345&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 09:06:01 AM »
There you go telling everybody and his siter about your alleged "girlie hands" and then call the flight deck fretboard of a Studio V "sweet"? The mind boggles ... :rolleyes:

And no, absolutely no B string issues. If anything, the Studio V has E, A, D and G issues because the B strings sounds so unrelentingly domineering ...  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »

That was a pretty sweet playin' bass, in fact a very pleasant surprise to me!
It felt nice on the fretting hand side of things, my bigger problem would be getting used to the tighter string spacing.
I stoutly maintain my "girlie hands" status herr Moderator, they're small and only have calouses from Bass playing and Ermm.......certain "other" activities  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 12:12:11 PM »
Possibly these are all trolls from Talkbass, but ...

http://forums.epiphone.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=11148

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Thunderbird-Pro-V-5-string-Bass-581656-i1460861.gc

http://rocketlounge.wordpress.com/2009/01/25/preview-epiphone-thunderbird-pro-iv/ 
(scroll to bottom of comments)

Whoever it is, and wherever he's from, it's obviously the same person using different names in all three places. Too many similarities in his writing. Has he taken it to an Epi dealer to see if it's a setup issue or other correctable problem? Doesn't seem like it. Looks like plain ol' trolling to me. He always mentions reading about the same complaint elsewhere, without saying that he's the one who posted about it elsewhere under a different name.

Who knows, there may be an issue, but I wouldn't take this guy's word for it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 12:25:17 PM »
The pups sure look wide enough to cover the B string well and a neck-thru construction shouldn't cause issues either. Perhaps the factory B string has a cheap quality and went dead early (as B strings tend to do in any case). When my dealer has them, I'll give the 5-stringer a try. No Gibson 5-stringer I own has issues with the B string, but the Epi Non-Rev TBird did until I changed the pups. But that was a model from 15 years ago, they should have learned from the past hopefully ... If the B string doesn't sound right, then the Pro V is not going to be around for very long.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
Hotbed of ignorance  ;)
you got that right...the ole' "if it's not a Fender then why was it made" attitude always makes me laugh.

and Mark, when I talk about Jacksons they say "Jackson?, I never heard of an AndrewJackson guitar before, what's that look like".. :bored: :-\

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 06:57:38 PM »
As for the Epi, the more I think about the 5er the less likely I am to get one, Dave (PWV) was kind enough to let me play his Gibson Studio 5er last night. Lets just say it's got a sweet neck and definately no low B output issues.
And I see a nice cherry one on ebay, so no Epi for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-Thunderbird-Studio-5-String-Electric-Bass-NR_W0QQitemZ220457411397QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3354492345&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Thanks for letting me play your AMAZING T-Bird collection Mark! I'm GASsing for a Nikki Sixx now - it was cool hearing the Studio 5 through your G-K rig too.  There is something special about that particular 5ver, and I don't think I'll ever be a full convert to the extra string.  Hope to hear your band here soon too!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 07:01:09 PM »
Mark, that V will look great in your collection. Now you just need to find come chrome covers that will fit those pickups!  ;)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »

And maybe a 5 string chrome 3 point!  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 02:41:15 AM »
The 5er already has chrome hardware, don't be so retro!

It's not just the B string that makes the 5er attractive, it is how the surplus of neck meat affects the sound of the other four strings as well. It's a mucgh phatter sounding Bird.

Uwe

PS: At this confidential get-together, was Mark in stage gear and what were other participants wearing or not wearing?  :o

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 01:58:16 PM »
The 5er already has chrome hardware, don't be so retro!

It's not just the B string that makes the 5er attractive, it is how the surplus of neck meat affects the sound of the other four strings as well. It's a mucgh phatter sounding Bird.

Uwe

PS: At this confidential get-together, was Mark in stage gear and what were other participants wearing or not wearing?  :o

Naw.......

Just a nice get together after my work on Sunday eve, I was wiped 'cause we had a show at a very hot and humid venue the night before, that and 4 hours sleep plus a workday = 1 very tired Fraulein.
Dave was kind enought to bring his Lull built Red White and Blue Fenderbird, a Money Bass and the Studio 5er, we set my rig up in the living room and rattled the house and neighbors for an hour or so,  before heading to a nice local place for Gin and Tonic- with a Fish and Chips chaser  ;D

Good times!

PWV

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 04:54:08 PM »
I was the Penguin, Uwe - and I was in the Batcave!  :mrgreen:

No, it was a nice bass session of A/B'ing Gibson's.  Don't know what the weather is like in other parts of the world but we're in the middle of a rare heat-wave up here.  So firing off a few humbuckers for the neighbors just seemed to be the right thing to do!

And yes, we learned that there is a state law now that won't allow you to have more than one drink at a time.  As well as a recently enacted law that forbids musicians having drinks on-stage now.  What is this world coming to - can't they legislate important things?

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 08:45:44 PM »
Which is usually younger people who just repeat what they have been told or hear or old people who are set in their ways.

yep
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »
from TB

Okay. I just received an update from my local shop. Their gibson rep was in and did state that they are aware of the output issues on the B and they have received numerous complaints. They acknowledged that the output issue related to poor QA on the new pups for the Pro-V.

They have taken my tbird back and have promised a new Pro-V with a working B. BUT it will take a few weeks. I guess I'll exercise some patience. Other than the low B output, I was really impressed with the bass.

If it is BS then He is doing a convincing job.