Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

weird problem

(1/4) > >>

Granny Gremlin:
So the other week I went to bust out the RD Artist to lay down a track.  No signal (tried new battery).

Took it home to fix it.  Worked fine (old battery).

Took it back to the studio.  Still no workie.  Tried no pedals; diff Amp; diff cable; third amp.

Took home again.  Works there with cable fro the studio into solid state Peavey, but nothing when I plug into my Bogen (tube).  The amps at the studio are tube.  I swear it used to work fine with my Bogen and Garnet at least.

The only thing I can think of is that the output jack went bad and I replaced it (proper long bushing Switchcraft TRS); maybe I wired the 9V and signal backwards; or 9V and ground and somehow this works on the Peavey but no go on tube amps.  But then why doesn't this work when I use a bufferred pedal (figured same as solid state Peavey but maybe the Peavey is just a brick shithouse vs everything else)?  Can anyone confirm for me by wire colour (e.g. which colour to tip, ring and sleeve)?

Incidentally, after the RD didn't work I busted out the Victory; also problems (intermittant signal due to the jack (which freaked me out till I giggled the cable) and in 1of 2 switch modes the D and G strings made no sound (also freaked me out until I realised that it was the series/parallel switch - did we know that was a split pickup in there?  It's even more like a P than I realised).

Granny Gremlin:
Looks like 2 x Green to Sleeve (ground)

Black to Ring

Yellow to tip

in this pic on Jules' site (but I may have ring and tip backwards - hard to tell).  .. off I go to open my girl up (again).

Granny Gremlin:
Hmmn, looks like that's not it (seems to be wired right).  Any ideas; this is super weird.

Anyway, will take the Peavey to the studio.  Worst case I can use the preamp line out into another amp.

Granny Gremlin:
I don't even believe this.  I screwed down the jack nut (just a tad loose; could move the jack if I poked it hard but not floppy) and bent the ring leaf back a bit and it works.  Makes no sense because using same cable worked with one amp but not others.  Also brand new jack. Works with the Bogen now so hopefully the Sunn too.  Leaving the cover off so I can poke if I need to.  Still bringing the Peavey as a safety. 

Granny Gremlin:
Well, that worked.  This whole issue was a steaming pile.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version