Author Topic: surf surf surf  (Read 14131 times)

Blazer

Re: surf surf surf
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 09:02:46 AM »
Okay Dave I just send an Email to Dick Dale's official website in which I explained both our point of views. You wanted a trustworthy answer and who better to ask than the man himself.

Now it's just a matter of waiting for his reply.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:38 AM »
You really don't get it.

Dick Dale's uncorroborated claims are not fact.

I know what he claims. I'm asking you to provide any independent confirmation of those claims. Not more self-promoting bilge from Dick Dale or his supporters.

I imagine we've all had at least one family member suffer from cancer. That has nothing to do with the question.

Blazer

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
You really don't get it.

Dick Dale's uncorroborated claims are not fact.

I know what he claims. I'm asking you to provide any independent confirmation of those claims. Not more self-promoting bilge from Dick Dale or his supporters.

I imagine we've all had at least one family member suffer from cancer. That has nothing to do with the question.

Then what would you advise me to do to get that independent proof you're looking for? Cancer is NOT a thing one should be bragging about, if Dale really had to think up a a phony reason for laying low for twenty years, he probably would've come up with something like "To hone my skills up even further."   

I figured Rollingstone was a dependable source of information.

Rocker949

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »
In trying to provide the Dick Dale version of the story, I'm sure there are better sources to go to than "Rolling Stone" and the BBC.  Both are so biased now I feel like I'm in the Soviet Union reading "Pravda" or "Izvestia."  Dick Dale may or may not have a case, but the proof, if it exists, would not likely come from the BBC or "Rolling Stone."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 12:23:02 PM »
Again read the links I posted before. The ones from Rollingstone and from BBC, Dale came down with Rectal Cancer in 1966 and in 2008 it came back. In the sixties Cancer wasn't as treatable as it is now, that was the reason why he retired from performing in the sixties. Hendrix heard of Dale being hospitalized and saluted him in "third stone from the sun" which was recorded in the same year when Dale was diagnosed with Cancer, so it all adds up again.

Oops  :-[ Apparently I missed the 1966 piece. My 2 cents is officially off the table. My not giving a rats ass still applies.....and with that, l will leave this for others to ponder :-X
Rick

rockinrayduke

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 02:25:16 PM »
OK, this is the biggest load of bullshit yet.

Listen to the box set or bootlegs for the unedited version of the chatter recorded for "Third Stone". Jimi and Chas Chandler are laughing the entire time and after he says "and you'll never hear surf music again" he adds "that sounds like a lie to me" and then laughs some more. Doesn't sound like they're discussing anyone's medical problems.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Dick Dale's cancer (which Jimi struggling to get gigs in NY in 1966 was probably not even aware of and in '67 was in London recording) but everything to do with Jimi knowing full well that his style of playing was light years from anything related to the surf music scene and his comment alludes to it. This is fabrication, bullshit, repeated and reprinted. Tell the same lie so many times it becomes "fact". Where do you come up with this crap? Rolling Stone?

You wanted a trustworthy answer and who better to ask than the man himself.

Good idea, let's ask the guy that started the story.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 02:39:29 PM by rockinrayduke »

Blazer

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »
OK, this is the biggest load of bullshit yet.

Listen to the box set or bootlegs for the unedited version of the chatter recorded for "Third Stone". Jimi and Chas Chandler are laughing the entire time and after he says "and you'll never hear surf music again" he adds "that sounds like a lie to me" and then laughs some more. Doesn't sound like they're discussing anyone's medical problems.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Dick Dale's cancer (which Jimi struggling to get gigs in NY in 1966 was probably not even aware of and in '67 was in London recording) but everything to do with Jimi knowing full well that his style of playing was light years from anything related to the surf music scene. This is fabrication, bullshit, repeated and reprinted. Tell the same lie so many times it becomes "fact". Where do you come up with this crap?

Good idea, let's ask the guy that started the story.  :rolleyes:

Good timing here's the reply I got from Mr. Dale.

I hope you have a little time to spare though...

in the 60's i missed my only concert ever, that was because i dropped 
from pain and i was bleeding from my ass...

we had a saying in those days if you missed a concert it was called a 
no show....

i found jimi when he was playing Bass for Little Richard in a bar to 
30 people in Pasadena Ca., he wasnt called jimi hendrix then....

jimi would come to see me and i would show him my slides and how i got 
my power out of my Strat....

he was a very quiet and polite fella and no drugs at that time..

in fact, Buddy Miles his drummer would open for me at my concerts and 
Buddy would always tell the audience

that there wasnt a day go by that jimi didnt say... ''dick dale taught 
me my best shit''    i thought that was funny...ha

anyway when jimi was recording he told his guitar player, ''i heard dd 
did a no show''  his guitar player replied ''no, he's dying man''

I have tapes i have of jimi at that session speaking and he said,

''Quote''   ''i,m out in space, ohhh you'll never hear surf music again,

BUT, I BET THAT'S A BIG LIE, LETS GO HOME BOYS''     (that part was 
never released to the public)

Jimi then dedicated 3rd stone to dd  as it was the only instrumental

that he ever did without singing....

That is why i dedicated it back to jimi with me saying....

''Jimi, I'm still here, Wish you were'' ........ that was my quote 
back to jimi...

when i went into the hospital, i overheard the nurse say to the surgeon

as they were shoving the camera up into my ass, Oh My God doctor....

the doc said SHHH (shush)   the doc then said to me i am operating on 
you in the morning....

at that point i was told i had 3 months to live.....

they then cut out 14 inches of one side of my rectal trac, 6 tumors 
and 7 cysts

and the surgeon said lets see if we got it all....

i went down to 98 pounds and a horrible painful stay in the hospital 
in recovery...

they continued to open me up afterwards to look for more cancer....

I started to feel sorry for myself and i went to Hawaii to surf the rest

of my days left on this earth.....those were the thoughts in my mind...

I then met Ed Parker a master in kenpo Karate  in Hawaii

and the Mitosi family also Masters in the martial arts and i became 
one with them....

the rest is history.

I would fast for 30 days putting nothing but hot tea, ginsing and 
honey in my body

and i would train a very heavy schedule.   my cancer was gone...

As for my cancer battle now, i knew i had the cancer because i was 
bleeding again

from my rectum for the last 17 years.

I was going through a very heavy divorce at the time and

i didnt want to go through the pain that i went through

as i did at my first cancer attack....  i just told myself,

screw it, when it takes me, it will take me...

i was doing 39 concerts in 42 days and i was getting ready to go

back to europe for my next 40 concerts...

My manager Matt Marshall said to me, Stop thinking about yourself

and go in and get checked, you have a 16 year old son to worry about.

so i went into the hospital and they told me what i already knew what 
i had...

cancer in the same place as the first time...

it was going through the walls, a giant tumor...

3 surgeons and 8 hours later they cut the tumor out... that is another 
story....ha

i now dont give a shit what cancer thinks....

i am playing my guitar and i am supporting my son with his dream....

the divorce still isn't over.....ha    thats life....

ps.... i was never dropped from any record company.....

my father bought all the rights and the masters to my music

from capital records and we went and formed our own companies...

also... both of my cancers came from polyps becoming cancerous tumors 
from straining in my body....

cancer means dead cell, when blood sits in a polyp from straining and 
is not checked upon to be cut out

it will become a tumor and cancer occurs.  it was all my fault not 
going in early to be checked.... dick

rockinrayduke

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 03:08:55 PM »
Jimi was out in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Texas and Georgia touring with Little Richard in the early part of 1965 and by April of that year was back in NYC where he stayed until he took off to London in Sept 1966.  Jimi was not Richard's bass player, maybe he was playing one the night Mr. Dale saw him for some reason. I hope Dick Dale is feeling well and continues to do so.

As far as that being the only instrumental Jimi ever did, nah. He did quite a few.

This is strictly hearsay and the guy who could truly confirm it died in 1970. As far as what you choose to believe that's on you. Maybe you should talk to Eric Burdon next, he's got some great Jimi stories.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 03:18:14 PM »
Those that commented on the Butthole surfers...I know they're not a surf band. I should have mentioned that I want to "blend" sounds a bit, and they are what I'm thinking of. The fact that they have "surfers" in their name is just coincidental.

In order to combat all this negativity, how about some pictures of surf guitars and surf colors?

I love the surf green Firebird.

And my own little surf machine (sorry, I don't have pictures of my own guitar by itself at the moment)

The only difference is mine has the cream covers and knobs, and there is a P90 shaped humbucker in the bridge. Gonna give it a maple neck and refinish it in surf green.
Are you real, Frank!?

Blazer

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 03:18:24 PM »
Well in the end no one was proven right or wrong here, Dale's reply to my question is a little *ahem*  vague.

However, I DO believe what he said about his father buying the rights to his music and the master tapes when Dale was struck by cancer. The fact that all that music has survived really IS conclusive evidence of that. Because back then, it was common practice of a record company to destroy the master tapes if an artist or band was dropped by that particular label, since there was no reason to print albums from that artist anymore.

God knows what amazing artists we never got to hear about aside from some rare out of print LP compilation, thanks to that ruthless policy.

rockinrayduke

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »
However, I DO believe what he said about his father buying the rights to his music and the master tapes when Dale was struck by cancer.

In other words now you have doubts about the story.   ;)  :rolleyes:

I would like to suggest that the OP check out the Shadows in addition to Los Straitjackets. The Raybeats put out a great album in 1980. My guitarist and I are trying to get our band to play the Straitjackets version of the Theme from the Magnificent Seven. Don't know if we can pull it off but it's such a cool tune.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to take a listen. I'm still discovering new surf all the time.

In the meanwhile, I'm on spring break. I'll have plenty of time for the sun and surf, and plenty of time to check out some great surf music.

Are you real, Frank!?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 04:33:49 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
I just spoke to Jimi about this. We regularly talk. He said he doesn't really remember whether it was for Dick Dale or not and that the Beach Boys were good friends. He also said: No reason to get excited ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 06:17:39 PM »
Well in the end no one was proven right or wrong here, Dale's reply to my question is a little *ahem*  vague.

Wrong! You made some preposterous claims, it's up to you to prove them, not up to us to disprove them.

However, I DO believe what he said about his father buying the rights to his music and the master tapes when Dale was struck by cancer. The fact that all that music has survived really IS conclusive evidence of that. Because back then, it was common practice of a record company to destroy the master tapes if an artist or band was dropped by that particular label, since there was no reason to print albums from that artist anymore.

God knows what amazing artists we never got to hear about aside from some rare out of print LP compilation, thanks to that ruthless policy.

WTF?  ???  Do you just make this stuff up as you go along? That's utter rubbish! Master tapes are almost never destroyed, even when the label goes out of business. How do you think Bear Family has been able to resissue literally hundreds of albums from master tapes, not only after the artists were long gone from the labels, but often long after the labels were defunct? And very often containing unreleased tracks and alternate takes?

Where the hell do you come up with this nonsense?  >:(