Author Topic: surf surf surf  (Read 14131 times)

Blazer

Re: surf surf surf
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 04:23:58 PM »
Puh-leeze.  :rolleyes:

When did Hendrix ever say this? And if you can find out when and where, tell us, did he say this was in tribute to Dick Dale? And for that matter, can you find any contemporary account of Dick Dale being hospitalized with rectal cancer back then?

Wikipedia and Dick Dale's fansites don't count.

Rolling Stone.
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/dickdale/biography

Biographybase
http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Dale_Dick.html

BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/d/dickdale/

Enough proof for you?

Blazer

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
To get back on topic here...

nofi

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 04:58:30 PM »
dale has also stated that he has no musical influences. none, zip nada. he is a total original. :o  that's patent bullshit because everyone is influenced by someone or something whether they are aware of it or not.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 08:18:39 PM by nofi »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 08:18:20 PM »
Rolling Stone.
http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/dickdale/biography

Biographybase
http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Dale_Dick.html

BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/artists/d/dickdale/

Enough proof for you?

(sigh)

That's not "proof," it's not even evidence. It's just the same stuff that's regurgitated in just about every online article about him. And it originates with him, not from any factual source.

Capitol promoted his records but they never charted even at the height of the surf craze. So they dropped him. Surf music was in a steep decline by then and he couldn't get a major label contract. That's why he "retired."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »
Who in hell would say "Look at me--I've got rectal cancer" to promote himself?
Anyway-- I accept it as truth cuz I know rectal cancer is considered to be the most curable of all cancer.
...& as a lefty I like the idea of Jimi-who played left handed- tippin' his hat to Dick Dale--another lefty.

Here's a real simple 60s riff toon that took me awhile to track down...a cousin to Surf Music--Biker Music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKpAJF4zCwY&feature=related

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 08:59:09 PM »
Who in hell would say "Look at me--I've got rectal cancer" to promote himself?
Anyway-- I accept it as truth cuz I know rectal cancer is considered to be the most curable of all cancer.
...& as a lefty I like the idea of Jimi-who played left handed- tippin' his hat to Dick Dale--another lefty.

My point is that AFAIK he never said that he had it back then, and AFAIK it was never reported back then that he had it. He just claims now that he had it back then and that was why he retired. Possible? Yes. Confirmed by anybody back then? Not that I've ever seen.

I can understand why you like the idea of Jimi acknowledging Dick Dale. Just show me some evidence that it ever happened. Dick Dale claiming that Jimi did is not evidence. A bunch of sites repeating his claims isn't evidence.

Sometimes it's just jaw-dropping how gullible people can be about unconfirmed claims.

Rocker949

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 09:03:26 PM »
The alternate version of the story is that Jimi was referring to the fact that the Beach Boys pulled out of the Monterrey Pop Festival.  Without primary sources, I'm not sure how either version can be proved. 

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »
Oh well~ at least we've got another great anal discussion going here. lol

Dick Dale & his son Jimmy are performing at the Redondo pier tonight!!
Surf Music & the King of the Surf Guitar---still alive & well.
...I wish Jimi was still with us tooo
You will never hear Acid Rock played like that again

Blazer

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 03:32:23 AM »
(sigh)

That's not "proof," it's not even evidence. It's just the same stuff that's regurgitated in just about every online article about him. And it originates with him, not from any factual source.

Capitol promoted his records but they never charted even at the height of the surf craze. So they dropped him. Surf music was in a steep decline by then and he couldn't get a major label contract. That's why he "retired."

Okay...

How about this?
http://www.dickdale.com/personal.html
You hear it from the man himself.

nofi

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »
blazer your post count is 666. coincidence... ???

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 06:07:33 AM »
I don't like to get involved in this type of thing but I do have a small observation to toss on the table. Third Stone from the Sun , where this reference was made by Hendrix , was recorded in about 1967 and Dick Dales rectal cancer surgery was in 2008.  So, we're looking at over 40 years from time of diagnosis to time of treatment ???

This is yet another thing that I couldn't give a rats ass about, but you got my 2 cents on the subject anyway :)
Rick

Rocker949

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 07:24:14 AM »
If Dick Dale's version is the correct one, then he needs to do more to correct the perception that the other version of the story is the valid one.  Also, if someone was really serious about this matter, it would be a good idea to see what some of the Beach Boys themselves have said about it.  I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that somebody in the Beach Boys has commented on this.  The version I've always heard is that when the Beach Boys pulled out of the Monterey Pop Festival, it was downhill from there.  In the late 60s, it became more cool to listen to the Beatles, Hendrix, and Cream and less cool to listen to bands such as the Beach Boys.  Whether it is right or wrong (and I really don't know) this is how some people interpret the Hendrix comment about surf music.  The important thing, in my opinion, is that today we can look back at all of this and appreciate both acid rock and surf music.  We don't have to choose between the two; we can have both.  Of course, personally I do prefer acid rock; that's why Hendrix and Cream are still at the top of my list.  But there is some surf music I still like very much.  Also, I think now it's easier to see that surf music was underrated for a long time and maybe that can even change some.  I think this is already an interesting thread and I'm here to learn some more stuff about surf music. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »
Okay...

How about this?
http://www.dickdale.com/personal.html
You hear it from the man himself.

You're joking, right? Or do you completely not get it?

Blazer

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
I don't like to get involved in this type of thing but I do have a small observation to toss on the table. Third Stone from the Sun , where this reference was made by Hendrix , was recorded in about 1967 and Dick Dales rectal cancer surgery was in 2008.  So, we're looking at over 40 years from time of diagnosis to time of treatment ???

This is yet another thing that I couldn't give a rats ass about, but you got my 2 cents on the subject anyway :)
Rick

Again read the links I posted before. The ones from Rollingstone and from BBC, Dale came down with Rectal Cancer in 1966 and in 2008 it came back. In the sixties Cancer wasn't as treatable as it is now, that was the reason why he retired from performing in the sixties. Hendrix heard of Dale being hospitalized and saluted him in "third stone from the sun" which was recorded in the same year when Dale was diagnosed with Cancer, so it all adds up again.

Blazer

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
You're joking, right? Or do you completely not get it?

Let me put it this way, Capitol dropped him, as you said, but his illness was the other reason why he retired, if a performer is terminally ill and thus not being able to perform and thus not being able to sell records there's no reason for the record company to hold onto him. Dale was let off the hook and in a way that was what saved him; no pressure from the record company and he had a disease to battle, so moving away from music for twenty odd years gave him plenty of time to recuperate.

My mother has had cancer, I have been there, I know what it takes to recover from it.