Author Topic: surf surf surf  (Read 14130 times)

pbrocker56

• View Profile
surf surf surf
« on: March 13, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
Besides playing bass for a rock band, I've gotten very much into surf guitar.

I'm playing an SX SJM-62 in sunburst, originally had 2 P90s. I replaced the bridge pickup with a P90 sized humbucker because the bridge pickup had lower output then the neck PU. Plus the constant buzz of feedback was becoming unbearable. I know humbuckers aren't the best for surf, but I'm fine with it. I've got a danelectro reverb pedal, which is the best I can do in light of my own fiscal responsibility. Going to have the guitar refinnished in seafoam green or daphne blue, and replace the rosewood neck with a maple. Basically, I'm working on technique. Anyone with any tips?

I've also been listening to Dick Dale, The Ventures, The Beach Boys, Butthole Surfers, and finding new and great surf bands all the time, and there is a local band called the Hodaddys that I've been checking out. Spending some time at the beach has been a little helpful too.

What kind of strings do surf players use? 10s? 11s? I've been looking everywhere and can't find much information. And I know that surf is mainly notes, but is there any standard of chords used? Is it just majors and minors and sevenths? And what about scales?

And if you have a guitar or bass in surf colors, lets see 'em!
Are you real, Frank!?

Rocker949

Re: surf surf surf
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
I had been thinking about posting a topic somewhere about surf music.  For some reason which I can't even quite explain, this is beginning to seem kind of intriguing to me.  Actually, I'm not really very interested in guitars, but I'm definitely interested in the role of bass in surf music.  As for surf music itself, I'm mostly just familiar with the Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, and the Ventures of course.  I'd be interested into delving into it deeper, though. 

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
Hendrix said "You will never hear Surf Music again".
Was he lamenting or saying that his wild Acid Rock made it obsolete? Not sure.

Keith Moon loved the Beach Boys & so do I:

Hawaii 5 -O always makes me happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG0Jt-gWArw&feature=related

Don't know technicalities, I play by ear.
I do know that Fender Twins were designed in the 50s for Dick Dale.

Dick Dale is comin' to briXton's--a cool lil club on the Redondo pier!
His son's band is opening. How coool is that?

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:08:07 AM »
While bass is concerned, I never pay enough attention because I'm always tracking the guitar. Surf is the only style I actual do that...

But I'm trying to pay attention to all the instruments. Drums included.

Hey RnB, you mentioning Keith Moon reminds me of him and the rest of the Who singing Barbra Ann I saw in a documentary, I'll try to find it.

Ah here it is. Pete's face is priceless.

And as much as I love Hendrix, he is so wrong. I hear it all the time  8)

I love the whole surf thing, I'm doing as much research into it. I find playing the modern alternative music I play with my "jamming" band (a 3 days grace sound...I don't like it...) and the fact that the singer never shows to practice the perfect reasons to go instrumental and do a west coast Florida surf band.

Are you real, Frank!?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:49:49 AM »
I was in a surf band called Formica, just guitar, bass and drums. I played a Fender Bass VI, busy lines to fill the gaps, without rhythm guitar or organ. It also looked the part.

We had a few originals but mainly we covered Dick Dale, Link Wray, Junior Brown, Laika and the Cosmonauts, Red Elvises, The Penetrators, the Ventures, Reverend Horton Heat, Sandblasters, Los Straightjackets, our favorites were the Phantom Surfers.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 03:51:13 AM »
The Who: I believe they asked the The Kids Are Alright documentary maker Jeff Stein which song he wanted to hear and he requested this:)

I love Pete's duckwalk too!!! Brilliant!

Didn't they do this song on the Live At Killburn DVD too?

I can watch a whole Who concert or DVD by only looking at Pete's face. On The Isle Of Wight he does Acid Queen and within seconds he IS the acid queen. Almost frightening. There's a moment on Killburn were he looks like he could kill someone at any moment, just before starting to laugh. I love that guy.

Blazer

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 04:11:53 AM »
Hendrix said "You will never hear Surf Music again".
Was he lamenting or saying that his wild Acid Rock made it obsolete? Not sure.
No he was referring to the fact that Dick Dale was hospitalized because of Rectal Cancer and it wasn't sure if he would make it. Hendrix saluted Dale by saying that.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »
No he was referring to the fact that Dick Dale was hospitalized because of Rectal Cancer and it wasn't sure if he would make it. Hendrix saluted Dale by saying that.

Wow~ You learn something new every day here at the Last Bass Outpost. :D

DD & SRV~Pipeline!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

I seriously doubt that Hendrix ever said that. Sometimes you guys are really gullible. Dick Dale is an extreme self-promoter. Don't believe it unless you can produce a contemporary account of it.

Like Link Wray, you can't believe much beyond the vital statistics and discography. Most of it is exaggeration and outright fantasy.

Dick Dale was little known outside Southern California. He never had a chart hit. I doubt seriously that Hendrix ever considered himself a "disciple," as Dale claims, and I seriously doubt Dale's claims about the Fender Showman.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
Whether Jimi said anything of the sort is not the purpose of this topic. Lets just get back to surf...
 :P

I've read that most surf guitarists use heavy strings, 12s, 13s, I've even read that Dick Dale uses 16s. Can't say if this is absolutely true. I think my next set will be some 12s, and flatwound. I've never used lighter then 10s, and I've tried 11s.

I've thought about it very hard, and I love the Cali/west coast beach type surf, but I think I'd like to stray from that a little bit.
I grew up on the Jersey shore, and I think a little darker surf, with lots of reverb, and a little overdrive crunch is what I'm thinking. While tube amps, reverb tanks, and Fender guitars were the order of the day for surf music, its what? 50 years later? I'd like to do something a little different. Maybe tuning the guitar down to a baritone too.

Are you real, Frank!?

nofi

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 02:01:40 PM »
btw the butthole surfers are not a surf band, although that may have been an interesting concept. i thought i would beat blazer to the punch. :mrgreen:

Blazer

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »
I seriously doubt that Hendrix ever said that. Sometimes you guys are really gullible. Dick Dale is an extreme self-promoter. Don't believe it unless you can produce a contemporary account of it.

Here you go.

Third stone from the sun

Starfleet to scoutship, please give your position, Over.
I'm in orbit around the third planet from the star called
the sun. Over.
You mean its the earth? Over.
Positive. It is known to have some form of intelligent
species. Over.
I think we should take a look.

Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine

Strange beautiful grass of green,
With your majestic silver seas
Your mysterious mountains I wish to see closer
May I land my kinky machine

Although your world wonders me,
With your majestic and superior cackling hen
Your people I do not understand,
So to you I shall put an end
And you'll
Never hear
Surf music again

Secret
Oh, secret
Oh
Shhhh...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »
Puh-leeze.  :rolleyes:

When did Hendrix ever say this? And if you can find out when and where, tell us, did he say this was in tribute to Dick Dale? And for that matter, can you find any contemporary account of Dick Dale being hospitalized with rectal cancer back then?

Wikipedia and Dick Dale's fansites don't count.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 03:56:24 PM »
Whether Jimi said anything of the sort is not the purpose of this topic. Lets just get back to surf...
 :P

Trust me, the administrator allows drifts off topic.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 03:58:28 PM »
btw the butthole surfers are not a surf band, although that may have been an interesting concept. i thought i would beat blazer to the punch. :mrgreen:

Now you tell us!  :mrgreen: