Gear Discussion Forums > Other Bass Brands

Höfner is again making a large bodied fully hollow bass - 500/18

<< < (3/8) > >>

ilan:
Wow. That's boutique pricing.

Chris P.:
Double the price of a normal 500/1. But understandable if only six are made, and knowing how much research they had to do.

uwe:
I'm bemused that you guys actually find this stuff attractive. In the 70ies and in Germany, they were the epitome of uncool, nobody wanted to be seen with them. A Cimar Jazz Bass copy had a better image. Höfner, Hoyer, Klira and Framus were regarded as pawnshop junk.  8)

ilan:

--- Quote from: uwe on November 23, 2017, 09:41:05 AM ---I'm bemused that you guys actually find this stuff attractive. In the 70ies and in Germany, they were the epitome of uncool, nobody wanted to be seen with them. A Cimar Jazz Bass copy had a better image. Höfner, Hoyer, Klira and Framus were regarded as pawnshop junk.  8)

--- End quote ---
First of all, Cimar J's are great basses, far better than what their market price would lead you to assume.

Now about the Höfners. I had image issues with the 500/1 - didn't want to look like a fan - and it's not a good bass imho. But the 60s large-body Höfners are different. They are the best hollow body basses I know. They have fantastic acoustic qualities. Really. If you had played one note on my 1960 500/3 you'd be smitten.

As for Hoyer, Klira and Framus, most of them were junk, in my experience. For years I wanted a red Hoyer London bass because it's so cute, until I actually played one and the GAS has evaporated.

Chris P.:
:) Yeah, I know a guy who traded a '60s Höfner for an '80s fretless Bass Collection bass:) Stupid. And more such stories. Nobody wanted Ricks either in the eighties. having said that I love to play those small Höfners:) I did some special Höfner interviews and some other work and I have quite some Höfners now:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version