Author Topic: Gibson J50 - keep or sell?  (Read 2580 times)

PhilT

• View Profile
Gibson J50 - keep or sell?
« on: April 11, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
I've got a 1973 Gibson J50 acoustic, which in 1973 cost me 150 GBP. Sometime in the 1980s I was told it was worth about 800 GBP, which is pretty much what they sell for on eBay now. A while ago I emailed the Gibson history dept about it and was told a pretty typical story for that era - in the 1970s the shape was changed from the round shouldered traditional J45 look to square shoulders and to cut costs the bracing was reduced. Not, in their opinion, a collectible era.  I very rarely play it and I'm not keeping it for my children, unless the value is likely to take off again. So I'm coming to the conclusion I should sell it and put the money into something that I would play and would maybe have some potential for value in the future. But ... still doubts ... any thoughts on that anyone?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson J50 - keep or sell?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
I think the value will eventually increase -- I mean, look at 70s Fenders now compared to a dozen years ago. OTOH I don't think these will ever be considered great guitars. If you buy the right thing you could have higher appreciation in value and have something you'll actually use.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:04:41 AM »
I always sell stuff I don't use and use the money to buy something I will use. In this way my collection keeps changing.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 05:14:26 AM »
You would make money on it if you sold it now. If you hung on to it  you could make more. But, I've got to agree with everyone elses comments, if you're not playing it, let it go and get something you will play.

A couple of years ago I let go of a Hagstrom 8 string that I had for over 30 years and was near perfect condition.I payed squat for it new back in 1970, so I couldn't help but make money on it.  I really liked it but I didn't play it anymore. It was tough to let it go but I kissed it goodbye and picked up a 51 P RI , a tweed case and put a $100 in my pocket. I love my 51 and play it all the time and I expect to live happily ever after :)
Rick

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:40:21 PM »
Trouble is I'm a really, really lousy guitarist, but I can't somehow see myself without a guitar. Anyway, I guess you're all right, get rid and have something that would maybe motivate me tp play again, however badly. Maybe the Hagstrom 12-string I wanted when I was 15  :P.

I got a 51 RI P last week, never had a maple fretboard before. That's taking a bit of getting used to, but I think we'll make it together.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
I bought an Ovation acoustic guitar a coupla years ago & didn't play it much til recently.
I'm LOVIN' it! Great for late night/early morning pickin'.
Summer is comin' & it's good to have something you don't have to plug in to play on.
I've got a cheap beater for the beach, but I reckon I'll take the Ovation sometimes.
My acoustic bass guitar has taken a back seat to my Ovation.

It seems to me that playing guitar makes you a better bassmon.

I'm determined to learn to SHRED on electric guitars too before I die.

I say KEEP it!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:16:22 PM »
Sell it and woth the money buy a nice bass and a cheap but good guitar, like those Chinese Guilds or something.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:10:45 AM »
There are so many good ,cheap acoustic guitars out right now there is a ton of stuff to choose from. A couple of hundred bucks can get you into a real decent hunk -o- wood.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »
I got an Ibanez 12 string in '81 that I'll never sell (21st prezzie) and have rarely sold anything I consider a keeper but we bought our daughter a beginners Ibanez kit that plays as well as my top o'the range 12 - I also have a beaten to hell and back '73 Gibson SG that is priceless (to me) but worthless...

If you bought it just to play, occasionally, then sell it and I recommend a budget Ibanez, or maybe get a budget electric and put the rest to good use, as per Doug's suggestion... seems silly to have something and don't use it... err, did I just say that...?  :o
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...