Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

The EB2 Triple Bypass (Choke Bypass Modification)

<< < (9/9)

chromium:
Jake - you are correct.  An on-off-on toggle (center off) would work just fine.  I went with this one more for the aesthetic, and I like the springy feel  :)

Also, if I recall correctly when test-fitting some other options, the big toggles (ala Carling) would have required boring the hole out a bit, and the minis were swimming in the old pushbutton hole.  This switch fit pretty well in mine as-is.

Another slick approach could be to implement using a couple of push-pull pots... Or even a combo of a push-pull for the orig sounds, and use of the stock pushbutton to cut the inductor's ground connection (for choke bypass).

Very worthy mod, no matter how you tackle it!  It's a testament that I still own that bass.  Really extended the useful sonic range, and I still enjoy playing it out from time to time.

bobyoung:
I finally just did the simple mod that Chromium posted about ten years ago, haha! Went under the bridge, dug out the wire going to the choke which came undone all by itself. This thing now sounds unbelievable (1966 EB-2) Also the baritone switch still works for some reason except that there is still some bottom with it engaged and is usable unlike the original nasally tone which was devoid of bottom, it's been gathering dust for the past two or three years so time to take it out to a blues jam. Thanks.

bobyoung:
I think I did the single bypass but what a difference, I have no need for the baritone sound so I'll leave it as is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version