Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

The EB2 Triple Bypass (Choke Bypass Modification)

<< < (3/9) > >>

drbassman:

--- Quote from: chromium on March 08, 2008, 11:47:40 AM ---Dr. B - I revised that EB-2 schematic that you posted to reflect the mod.  This is what it would end up looking like:

Also, I located the sound samples that I did way back when I performed this mod.  These use only the neck pickup on my bass, and give a better representation of what the end result on an EB-2 would be:

--- End quote ---

Thanks so much for the diagram and clips.  Very cool sounding!  That's a typical 3-way switch you have in there, right?  I was also wondering about the wires on the inductor.  Mine was removed and I'm not sure what is what.  Any advice you could give?

chromium:

--- Quote from: drbassman on March 14, 2008, 04:38:56 AM ---That's a typical 3-way switch you have in there, right?  I was also wondering about the wires on the inductor.  Mine was removed and I'm not sure what is what.  Any advice you could give?

--- End quote ---

It's a typical 3-way toggle - but make sure you get the one for the triple-pickup SGs and Les Pauls.  They use a different switch in the two pickup models, and it does not provide the switching capability needed for this circuit.

Just to clarify on your inductor question - does it look as though you missing the inductor altogether?  or are you just wondering how to go about reinstalling it?  I'm asking because finding an exact replacement for a missing inductor will be difficult, but finding a equivalent will probably be possible.

drbassman:
Here's what I have:

chromium:
Dr B - are there three wires coming off of that inductor?  Is that short black wire soldered to the casing on the other side?  I think that is the one that you can see in my pic above.

Honestly, I only remember dealing with two wires on mine, but its been a long time - and I didn't have it completely out of the bass.  I'll look at the one in my EB-3 later on and see I can refresh my memory as to where that third wire would go...

drbassman:
I checked it out and here's the scoop.  All 3 wires come out of the inductor.  The black wire is supposed to be turned up and soldered to the top of the inductor and has just broken loose.  That leaves the green and purple wires.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version