Author Topic: RIP Bob Burns  (Read 5728 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: RIP Bob Burns
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2015, 09:46:20 AM »
after the second LS record came out and bob was out of the band, he moved to my town for awhile. he promptly ran over a pedestrian and was charged with manslaughter. his bad luck began quite early. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »
That's beautiful, very crafted, but not at all like Wilkeson plays, who is much earthier. This sounds like someone who exactly knows what he is doing (and has put some thought into it) while Wilkeson relies much more on intuition and a good ear. That is not knocking him, just two different approaches though my playing is more in the Ed King category. But I sometimes admire the organic guys who just play without seemingly giving it a thought.  :-\

I've always liked the Mad Hatter, but especially after listening to some of these things lately, I really like Ed King, too.  Besides that, Ed literally saved Leon's life once.  I'm sure Leon would never have anything bad to say about Ed King.  But to say more, I'd just be repeating what I've already said on past threads.  I'll just say, though, that I was around people who were Allman Brothers fanatics and it was a little hard to give LS the full credit they were due. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2015, 10:33:08 AM »
The problem with ring-side seats is that I might have seen the Ali V Frazier era but I missed Clay being knocked down by Cooper... ;)

Living in London and especially the likes of the Hammersmith Odeon meant I had a lot of opportunity to see some great bands, but I still feel my deep regrets are missing the original ACG and only seeing Alice for a first time for the WTMN tour at Wembley, and seeing early Bad Co but missing Free and Kossoff in BSC when they played and recorded the live show in Croydon, and so on...
The only time I ever saw Aerosmith was on the Rocks tour... etc...

I definitely have some regrets, too, but it would be literally impossible for someone living in London to even see half of what he wanted to see. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
I was wondering why they only had 2 guitarists in that clip.

Ed dropped out due to road-stress and stuff circa the Nuthin' Fancy era... what they nicknamed the Torture Tour... so for the Gimme Back My Bullets tour they went out like that... they ended part of the UK tour in '75 with that OGWT show, and came back for some extra dates at the start of '76... the OGWT show is presently a DVD that comes with the deluxe edition of GBMB...
As an aside, there are some pictures around of Steve Gaines on the tour bus for the GBMB UK tour, although he was not a member of the band at that point "officially"...

... but it would be literally impossible for someone living in London to even see half of what he wanted to see. 

I tried... :mrgreen:
I ended up missing April Wine (who I really liked) to see an extra show by Rainbow that was slotted in at short notice... Uwe might be horrified to hear this but I wish I'd gone to see April Wine...
The Marquee club was one of my favourite places... they used to allow me to get up on the stage and stand behind the "stage left" PA stack to take pictures... Wishbone Ash in a 400 capacity venue was fun, even when someone slipped the fire exit and an extra 300 crammed in...!!! a real liggers place though... :-\
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2015, 04:56:07 PM »
The Marquee Club is about as legendary as it gets.  I've seen references to it many times. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2015, 12:17:25 AM »
Fell out of it a few times... :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »
Fell out of it a few times... :mrgreen:

Strangely enough, that isn't surprising.  LOL. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2015, 04:54:48 PM »
 ;)

Once relocated I'll probably get the chance to start going through the old negative pile...

Fave Marquee gigs... Gillan, four times in three differing formats... Wishbone Ash... Max Webster... Pretenders, before they made it... Girl (a pre Def Leppard outfit)... Gary Moore (with Paice one time, Tommy ALdridge another, and as G-Force with Mark Nauseef a third time)... the Blues Band (Paul Jones/ Manfred Mann)... there were many others...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »
;)

Once relocated I'll probably get the chance to start going through the old negative pile...

Fave Marquee gigs... Gillan, four times in three differing formats... Wishbone Ash... Max Webster... Pretenders, before they made it... Girl (a pre Def Leppard outfit)... Gary Moore (with Paice one time, Tommy ALdridge another, and as G-Force with Mark Nauseef a third time)... the Blues Band (Paul Jones/ Manfred Mann)... there were many others...

I have a feeling some of those photographs are going to end up being valuable. 

--Blaise Pascal